fiduciary

Author Topic: worth the watch.  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Satori Hanzo

• Force User
  • Formerly Known as Squeaky Wheel
worth the watch.
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
This probably made rounds here a while ago, but I am new here and don't know for sure. I do know that this is very well thought out, and totally worth the 1/2hr.

How Star Wars Episode 2 Could Have Saved Everything - YouTube
...and a powerful ally it is

The Force is as The Force does.

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
Re: worth the watch.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »
I had seen this before but watched again.  I agree with many points but not all.  My mine complaints with ep2 and the trilogy in general was the incessant dialogue with no plot driving purpose.  Often more can be said with less...unfortunately that is achieved with good..no great actors and I'm afraid the casting of vader, coupled with overwriting, just didn't work out.  But as you can't change the past I choose to watch and enjoy the good bits....which are the new sabers introduced of course!
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline scohrdarkshadow

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
I honestly barely remember any of it. Maybe I should watch it again....definitely least fave

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:22:49 AM »
Pretty much agreed with every thing in this vid. I was 6 when the ANH came out and the drive behind the trilogy was great, when ep1, 2 and 3 were released I had such high hopes, but it was never to be, lucas had lost the plot and any directing skill and plot writing that he once had were gone.
The new films just droned along with a such a matter of fact couldn't care less nature that after you watch them you couldn't care less! Funny how that works.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline wolf10100

• Master Force User
    • Master Sabers
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:35:10 AM »
I personally dont think it was a casting issue... the main problem as said by others was the embarrasing dialog and poor directing. I know many people didnt like hayden as ani/vader, but i do believe that with a better scriot etc... he would have been a perfect fit. I loved the new sabers and cant help but to love the saber fight scenes.

I also enjoyed obi, ewan was absolutely perfect for that role imo, i also like how they portrade GG

All in all... could of, and should of been soooo much better

My two cents
Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
Honestly, I believe that George only had one vision of the prequels from day one, and that was the fight between Anakin as the apprentice, and Obi-Wan as the Master. He had something in his gut that told him about that scene and it's heartrending impact it had on them both. That was it. The rest of the Prequels was him fumbling around trying to fill in the gaps. This is why that last scene between the two of them in EPIII was so long, and so good and it pulled the best performances from both actors - BECAUSE GEORGE WAS PASSIONATE about that one scene. The same passion he had during the OT, if only a glimmer of it. I honestly like Ep 1 a LOT, and it is my favorite of the prequels because it goes a long way in capturing a bit of the lighthearted magic of the originals, but also has some serious and dark under tones. George should have let others write and direct Ep 2-3 as he has zero understanding of romance (obviously) and how to bring it out on screen. Padme and Anakin's dialogue in Ep2 is PAINFUL to watch, even in theaters I found myself uncomfortable. I also don't see the third film reconciling Anakin's fall, and how they took all of Padme's strength of will away that she had in Ep2.

Offline scohrdarkshadow

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
Honestly, I believe that George only had one vision of the prequels from day one, and that was the fight between Anakin as the apprentice, and Obi-Wan as the Master. He had something in his gut that told him about that scene and it's heartrending impact it had on them both. That was it. The rest of the Prequels was him fumbling around trying to fill in the gaps. This is why that last scene between the two of them in EPIII was so long, and so good and it pulled the best performances from both actors - BECAUSE GEORGE WAS PASSIONATE about that one scene. The same passion he had during the OT, if only a glimmer of it. I honestly like Ep 1 a LOT, and it is my favorite of the prequels because it goes a long way in capturing a bit of the lighthearted magic of the originals, but also has some serious and dark under tones. George should have let others write and direct Ep 2-3 as he has zero understanding of romance (obviously) and how to bring it out on screen. Padme and Anakin's dialogue in Ep2 is PAINFUL to watch, even in theaters I found myself uncomfortable. I also don't see the third film reconciling Anakin's fall, and how they took all of Padme's strength of will away that she had in Ep2.

I couldn't agree more with a lot of what you say. Except I enjoyed EPIII way more than EP1 for that exact reason. I really think they could have merged episode I and II. Frankly, I showed my mom EP III only (she'd never seen the prior two and saw the OT when it first came out and remembered none of it) and she LOVED it. Anakin turning to the dark side and then facing his mentor and friend was really powerful stuff. It's hard for me to compare EPIII to the OT because of the nostalgia I have for them, but I think if I had watched III,IV,V and VI all together, III would have been right up there.

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
I completely agree.  I think when George has a clear vision about something, it shows, as it did in the OT and the end of EpIII.  But directing - and in particular making believable dialogue - have never been his strong point, even since EpIV.  The original cast themselves have often criticized George for this (most notably in the Empire of Dreams documentary).  And honestly that's one of the hugest flaws with the PT - with free reign to do whatever he wanted, George gave us a trilogy with half-realized plots and cringe-worthy dialogue.  Personally I think Ewan and Natalie have great talent, but talent can only get you so far when you're stuck with a bad script.  The whole "romance" portion of EpII caused me to blush with its cheesy-ness (btw the awful "I don't like sand" dialogue is what's in my personal text bc it always makes me laugh) so I'm glad the theater was dark.  I agree that what George should have done is let others write and direct, as he did for EpV and VI.  Kershner in particular knew how to deepen character development, which is essential for any movie sequel.  With George at the helm, we ended up with a lot of one-dimensional characters who all talk the same way and lack any believable motivation, which also contributes to the slow or otherwise drawn-out plot.

retrousse