fiduciary

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi  (Read 19622 times)

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2017, 06:20:26 AM »
That sounds pretty legit to me. It also helps tie in the weird immaculate conception of the prequels, which is nice. One less plot thread hanging in the breeze. Surely though Snoke wouldnt get defeated in VIII, that would be the fancy finale of IX.

yeah.  when I say "in the end..", I mean the end of the Trilogy.  :wink:

"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
If this has any merit to it I'm going to say this now...

xxx YOU FOR THE SPOILERS!!! LOL

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
this is just fan-theory speculation on my part.    :cool:   
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
Love it! Wedge you are the man.

This could save the series for me. As of what I've seen so far... I'm not behind the new story. This could save it. This feels '80's to me. TFA did not feel 'cool' like "'80's" style to me. And the best reason Luke is hiding I've heard so far.

Because to me, Luke hiding just isn't in his character. This could explain it.

• Master Force User
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
Apparently the #2 issue of the Darth Vader comic book series could shed some light on why Luke went into hiding...something to do with a jedi vow to no longer use the Force.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
Apparently the #2 issue of the Darth Vader comic book series could shed some light on why Luke went into hiding...something to do with a jedi vow to no longer use the Force.

That's the worst thing I ever heard of. Why did we even bother watching Ep IV-VI? Why even bother learning the word 'Jedi'? Just to have it taken away later. These people went the wrong way.

It's like every super hero movie series features them losing their power at some point. The worst plot line ever. Might as well turn on a soap opera.

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Formerly known as Shadow Walker
  • Experienced Force User
  • I am vengeance. I am the night.
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »

That's the worst thing I ever heard of. Why did we even bother watching Ep IV-VI? Why even bother learning the word 'Jedi'? Just to have it taken away later. These people went the wrong way.

It's like every super hero movie series features them losing their power at some point. The worst plot line ever. Might as well turn on a soap opera.

Scruffy kind of misquoted the stuff from the Vader comic.  This is the panel of the comic that talks about what he meant:

It basically says that a Jedi who took the Barash Vow is disconnected from everything BUT the Force as an act of penance, so that means that Luke could be punishing himself for the massacre of his students by Kylo and the Knights of Ren.  This could also explain why he didn't interfere with anything in VII and even why Yoda or Obi-Wan didn't interfere with anything in the 19 years between ROTS and ANH.  But it's pretty much all theory at this point, so who knows.

Offline oswaldkefo

• Force User
  • aka MandaloreLives
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »

Scruffy kind of misquoted the stuff from the Vader comic.  This is the panel of the comic that talks about what he meant:

It basically says that a Jedi who took the Barash Vow is disconnected from everything BUT the Force as an act of penance, so that means that Luke could be punishing himself for the massacre of his students by Kylo and the Knights of Ren.  This could also explain why he didn't interfere with anything in VII and even why Yoda or Obi-Wan didn't interfere with anything in the 19 years between ROTS and ANH.  But it's pretty much all theory at this point, so who knows.

thanks for adding in the image. That is an interesting idea, and given how screwed up the order was in the prequels it would be cool if they explored the concept of jedi penance more in some fashion.
How often is the comic content referenced in the movies? If y'all hadnt made these posts I would have never even that  scene.

I came here to conquer the galaxy and drink milk...and I've finished my milk.

• Master Force User
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2017, 06:12:39 AM »
LOL there ya go...I was paraphrasing what I read about the comic...but the point I was trying to make was it seems like they are driving the canon towards something a little less in your face compared to what Wedge is predicting.

Offline TheSaberCore

• Force User
  • Every saber has a core.
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2017, 06:43:14 AM »
I feel like they're going to do SOMETHING with the unknown regions, as both the Thrawn and Aftermath books hint at it.

Also, I saw someone post this from some visual dictionary or something, that it says Snoke believes Kylo Ren to be the perfect embodiment of both dark and light ability. Could tie in to that theory.
"Luke."

"The Belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

Offline Grigoris

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
    • Zeno Telos Press
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
Speaking of unknown regions, I wonder if SW will ever venture into the classic SciFi territory where a new species of aliens is discovered in outer limits of galaxy and now threatens entire galaxy.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
I really hope NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! That would be very un-SW like. SW is a fantasy saga set in space. Not a science-fiction.

That said, actually they tried it in the sequel novels, with those insectiod aliens, that is when I stopped reading them. And I fervently hope that Disney will defer from placing the ultimate saga-killer bomb: to introduce an even  bigger/nastier/grander evil to boost the story. Because that's going to be an epic fail. I hope we will see a tale told again like in 1977 in that Galaxi far, far away...

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
Wedge Antilles, that theory should come with a spoiler alert. I'm pretty convinced you've just laid down the overarching story of the sequel trilogy.

:jediblue: :sith:

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2017, 09:56:58 PM »
It's an interesting theory, but it may be too esoteric for a Star Wars film.  Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but if they went that route it would have to be simple enough to follow. 

I suspect that Luke realizes that perhaps the Jedi order and the Sith were both wrong in manipulating the Force for their own uses.  That one must live in harmony with the Force in order for the conflict to end once and for all.

It looks as though we may be seeing the Journal of the Whills, aka those books in the teaser trailer, which would presumably be the first teachings of the Jedi.  The Whills are a part of the film canon now with Rogue One.  My guess is that Luke sees too much of a risk in learning from them or using the knowledge from them to teach Rey and he destroys them.   This risk wouldn't stem from Luke's fear of being corrupted but that Rey might be tempted if to turn to the Dark Side if he teaches her too much.

Perhaps Kylo only killed Han to earn Snoke's trust and when he says to Vader's helmet that he "wants to finish what he started", what Kylo is referring to is vanquishing the Sith for good.  Or perhaps Kylo is trying to bring Vader back from the grave to learn how to destroy the Dark Side once and for all.  Something tells me that he isn't what we think he is and that he will die trying to redeem himself, or team up with Rey to kill Snoke and rid the galaxy of the Dark Side. 

Just my two cents.

Offline oswaldkefo

• Force User
  • aka MandaloreLives
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
It's an interesting theory, but it may be too esoteric for a Star Wars film.  Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but if they went that route it would have to be simple enough to follow. 

I suspect that Luke realizes that perhaps the Jedi order and the Sith were both wrong in manipulating the Force for their own uses.  That one must live in harmony with the Force in order for the conflict to end once and for all.

It looks as though we may be seeing the Journal of the Whills, aka those books in the teaser trailer, which would presumably be the first teachings of the Jedi.  The Whills are a part of the film canon now with Rogue One.  My guess is that Luke sees too much of a risk in learning from them or using the knowledge from them to teach Rey and he destroys them.   This risk wouldn't stem from Luke's fear of being corrupted but that Rey might be tempted if to turn to the Dark Side if he teaches her too much.

Perhaps Kylo only killed Han to earn Snoke's trust and when he says to Vader's helmet that he "wants to finish what he started", what Kylo is referring to is vanquishing the Sith for good.  Or perhaps Kylo is trying to bring Vader back from the grave to learn how to destroy the Dark Side once and for all.  Something tells me that he isn't what we think he is and that he will die trying to redeem himself, or team up with Rey to kill Snoke and rid the galaxy of the Dark Side. 

Just my two cents.

I absolutely expect a 4th quarter twist/conversion from Kylo. Some theroies suggest Rey would turn to the Dark Side and Ben would come back to the Light, and as interesting as that would be, Disney would not send their first lead-female force user to the Dark Side.

I came here to conquer the galaxy and drink milk...and I've finished my milk.

retrousse