fiduciary

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi  (Read 19555 times)

Offline darth hondo

• Master Force User
  • there can only be two
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »
I wholeheartedly disagree that Luke will die in Ep VII.  The "last Jedi" is apropos as Luke is really the last person in existence who is trained in the Jedi arts (as far as we know).  Rey is not a Jedi, she is "force sensitive" or a "force user" until she is trained in the Jedi way.

Also, remember that Snoke specifically called Luke "the last Jedi" in TFA.

agree that it's not a meaningful title other than Luke will play a large role. at least larger than TFA.

Luke will not die in Ep. 8. May be Ep. 9 but that's not guaranteed too. Too many deaths already. Solo died in Ep. 7 and Carrie Fisher died in real life. So can't have all three major characters from OT die completely. Just a PR disaster for the mouse company

Offline TheSaberCore

• Force User
  • Every saber has a core.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
I wholeheartedly disagree that Luke will die in Ep VII.  The "last Jedi" is apropos as Luke is really the last person in existence who is trained in the Jedi arts (as far as we know).  Rey is not a Jedi, she is "force sensitive" or a "force user" until she is trained in the Jedi way.

Also, remember that Snoke specifically called Luke "the last Jedi" in TFA.

agree that it's not a meaningful title other than Luke will play a large role. at least larger than TFA.

Luke will not die in Ep. 8. May be Ep. 9 but that's not guaranteed too. Too many deaths already. Solo died in Ep. 7 and Carrie Fisher died in real life. So can't have all three major characters from OT die completely. Just a PR disaster for the mouse company
I agree with Hondo, I doubt Luke will die. However Lucasfilm has stated they have no intentions of resurrecting Carrie Fisher or anything similar, so I think it's more than likely Leia will be the next to "get the lightsaber through the chest". It would be too much if Luke went out too.
"Luke."

"The Belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:20:54 PM »
Writing out Leia should be fairly simple...even if her role was bigger in Ep 8.  A simple line of dialog from a main character, either in Ep 8 or 9, can release the writers from any further conversation of her character.  Similar to Fast and Furious...they didn't have to acknowledge in the movie that Paul Walker was dead, they just left his character's fate open to speculation as he drove off into the sun.

Ultimately I doubt Carrie's passing will have a huge impact on the overall story.  We'll still get the same Star Wars that was intended, just minus one main character...which isn't really a main character anymore anyways.

Offline darklordkasim

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 02:19:02 PM »
I like the title I believe it is just simply referring to Luke as the last Jedi. He was referred to as this in both the force awakens opening crawl and script and I think that the title is intended to make people read into it. The movie is expected to focus heavily on Luke and so the title seems appropriate yet gives nothing away. As many have already said the plural for Jedi is Jedi so it could refer to Luke and Rey, or even the last Jedi meaning the Jedi order from the one we are similar with given luke's location is the first Jedi temple.

Disney wants to make the film massive and by keeping people guessing it builds up anticipation and speculation for the movie.

Either way it is Star Wars so it will be a brilliant film none the less!
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Offline Drewbacca

• Padawan Learner
  • Fly Casual
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »
My only assumption is that Rey will become the only Jedi left if they decide to kill off Luke  :cry: It's so painful to watch your favorite characters die off
Fly Casual.

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Luke WILL NOT die in this movie. The director of EP.9 has already stated on numerous occassions that he wants luke (and wanted leia....) to have massive roles in that movie. you guys are way overanalyzing this title, but everyone else is too. Luke is just the last of the jedi order. its basically a snapshot from the beginning of the movie, whereas rey will be trained by the end.

Offline darklordkasim

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »
I agree in a sense it's being analysed too much, I mean every Star Wars title has literally related to one person or event within that respective movie.

I'm kind of gutted we may have to wait until April for a trailer though!
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Offline bodi

• No Force
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
I for one, will be really disappointed if Luke DOESN'T die, either in 8 or 9. It would be pure Joseph Campbell, the Death of the Mentor myth we saw done brilliantly with Obi Wan Kenobi.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:34:11 PM by bodi »

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
While I agree that it has some poetry to it (Qui-Gon dies leaving Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan dies leaving Luke, Luke dies leaving Rey), it could also be attacked as yet another copy of the previous movies.

Sigh, just can't win...  :rolleyes:

Offline bodi

• No Force
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
Yes. But in this case, unlike a new Death Star over and over, the myth is an archetype. The old die so the young can continue. That's really is the way of things...

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
Yes. But in this case, unlike a new Death Star over and over, the myth is an archetype. The old die so the young can continue. That's really is the way of things...

...and not just in storytelling but in 'real life'. Generations pass the torch within families, corporations, political parties, nations, even civilizations. One of the greatest joys of growing older is the chance to pass on one's accumulated knowledge, experience [and hopefully some Wisdom acquired along the way] by becoming the 'teacher' of the young who will carry it forward. That's how Progress is made. So it seems entirely appropriate for Luke to do that for Rey as Obi-Wan did for Luke as Qui Gon did for Obi-Wan as Dooku did for Qui-Gon  and as Yoda did for everyone in the Jedi Order not 900 years old. LOL

That doesnt mean that Luke has to DIE to do so however just because OWK and QGJ did before him. The archetypal myth of the Hero's Journey requires a Transformation of the nascent proto-hero typically a youth into the fully destiny-realized hero typically an adult but the rite of passage involved doesnt necessarily require a 'blood sacrifice' of the teacher-mentors life.

Luke doesn't 'need' to die for Rey to become the "Last Jedi" since the term Jedi can be plural so Luke can 'retire from the field of battle' alive and pass the torch for Rey to be the one to start a new Jedi Order [or not] and the phrase 'last Jedi' would still be logically correct for including Rey even with a 'retired' Luke alive. He doesnt need to die at all even in Ep IX but the title of Ep VIII certainty doesnt have to mean he dies in this movie.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline oswaldkefo

• Force User
  • aka MandaloreLives
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
The title is great, obviously it stirred up a ton of discussion across social media, as well as what the plural form of "jedi" actual is. I believe since the plural of jedi is jedi, it is not saying there is only one left, but these are the last of the jedi (more than one, but very few).

I do not believe that Luke will die in TLJ, especially now that Carrie Fischer is one with the Force. They need an OT character/mentor to make it through til IX. I suppose he could still operate in that capacity as a Force ghost a la Obi-Wan in ESB, but I doubt it.

Another thing that intrigues me about the toy-box art is that Finn looks relatively fine after his lightsaber-induced spinal injury. I thought he would perhaps some kind of exo-skeleton or cybernetic enhancements.

I came here to conquer the galaxy and drink milk...and I've finished my milk.

Offline greekos

• No Force
  • wait.... what do you mean it's "too metal"
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
In the new trailer we hear Luke say "I know only one truth, that the Jedi must end."

I think thats more of a metaphore for saying, no longer can the "sith" and "jedi" mindset be separate. Im guessing it means to lean to more of the grey scale. Meaning the mindesets constantly cause a flip-flop of the user, your either one or the other and thats without balance. So maybe he thinks that the old orders should be done away with.

thoughts?
"This is a dude who, 700 years ago, totally ravaged China, and who, we were told, 2 hours ago, totally ravaged Oshman's Sporting Goods!"

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
In the new trailer we hear Luke say "I know only one truth, that the Jedi must end."

I think thats more of a metaphore for saying, no longer can the "sith" and "jedi" mindset be separate. Im guessing it means to lean to more of the grey scale. Meaning the mindesets constantly cause a flip-flop of the user, your either one or the other and thats without balance. So maybe he thinks that the old orders should be done away with.

thoughts?
its actually up for debate right now as to whether or not it was actually benicio del toro's character. im not sure myself but if it is mark, he doesnt sound the same saying that line as he does the earlier "breathe...what do you see?"

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 04:19:16 AM »
The trailer is quite interesting. Plenty of depth to the whole, are the jedi ending? or are they becoming more along the lines of the grey jedi. I think that what Luke found may be actually the origins of the Jedi, and that the recent Jedi ideologies are not that of the original. There's a good analysis of the trailer that I've found here: Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi Trailer Analysis - YouTube She goes over the entire trailer and points out everything that is seen as well as thoughts on why Luke thinks there must be an end to the Jedi.
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

retrousse