fiduciary

Author Topic: Hello Everyone! Denver, CO  (Read 515 times)

Offline codyholla

• No Force
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • KVM Switches Online
Hello Everyone! Denver, CO
« on: January 30, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
Hey Everybody,

New into building sabers, although I have been obsessed with movie props and memorabilia since I was a small kid.  I have bought plenty of replicas throughout the years, but nothing really impressive or screen accurate.  My father was a huge SciFi fan, so I grew up with Star Trek and Star Wars burned into my entire youth, along with movies like E.T. and Close Encounters, etc.  I have now taken on the challenge of building an ANH style Graflex.  I am semi-confidant on most of the tasks that go into this, but running into a few confusing roadblocks.  I am definitely not an electronics expert, I have come to realize.  I would greatly appreciate any help I can get!

These are the parts I have acquired -

The Graflex Shop
Graflex Gen2
Solo's Hold
NWL Master BladeHolder
Goth 3designs
Knight Var1 Chassis
NWL BladeHolder Greeblies
WannaWanga
Handle Rivets
Grip Guide
ANH grip/D ring/bubble card Set
The Custom Saber Shop
TriCree LED  RGrB
TriCree Lens
Thermal Tape Pad
Panasonic 18650 Battery
Smart Charger w/ 2.1 Charger Adapter
CFX Soundboard
Flat Tactile Switch
Stealth Bass Speaker
OLED Screen
CFX Mat
KR Sabers
4-40 Threaded Rod
Brass Rod
Blade Plug
Bluetooth Module
3mm RGB slow flash & RGB fast flash LEDs
5mm Blue LED - 1ea
3mm Green LED - 1ea
3mm Lime LED - 1ea
2.1 Charge Port
Slider Aux Switch
Amazon
Electronics Soldering Iron
Solder Tips
Solder
Wire 28awg PTFE
Shrink Tube
Brass Hex Nuts
3W 0.3-10ohm Resistors

I am running into confusion in two places...  Resistors, and whether or not I need an LED housing in the Solo's Hold NWL Master BladeHolder.  Or maybe I am missing something that is completely obvious..  I got resistors but am now feeling like they are massive and will not fit..  What wattage could I get away with in order to save space?  I used the calculator on TCSS and came up with the following -

Battery - 3.7v Panasonic 18650

RGrB Tri Cree CopperNova XP-E2
Red Cree - Forward Voltage / Current: 3.7V | 1000mA … 1.05R/1.05W
Green Cree - Forward Voltage / Current: 2.65V | 1000mA … 0R/0W
Royal Blue Cree - Forward Voltage / Current: 3.4V | 1000mA … 0.3R/0.3W
----------------------------------------------
Accent LEDs
5mm Blue LED - Forward Voltage / Current: 3.2V - 3.8V | 20mA … -5R/0.002W
3mm Slow Flash RGB - Forward Voltage / Current: 3V - 3.2V | 20mA … 25R/0.01W
3mm Fast Flash RGB - Forward Voltage / Current: 3V - 3.2V | 20mA … 25R/0.01W
3mm Green LED - Forward Voltage / Current: 3.2V - 3.8V | 20mA … -5R/0.002W
3mm Lime LED - Forward Voltage / Current: 2V - 2.2V | 20mA … 75R/0.03W
(Does anything else need resistors?)

Also, nowhere I have found has shown or mentioned an LED housing for the NWL BladeHolder..

I know this was long winded, but any light someone could shed would help a ton.  Or tell me I am overthinking everything, would also be helpful.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Hello Everyone! Denver, CO
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
Welcome...that is a heck of a shopping list. I am sure you will get lots of feedback, but a few thoughts after a quick glance.

If you are building the ANH version, you wouldn’t need the rivets, if you are looking to match the prop...that one has solid grips with no rivet holes...the others use the holes.

You need an led heat sink for the graflex blade holders (something like this https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Heatsink-module-for-1-ID-tubes-P1027.aspx ) and you need to make sure the OD of the sink matches the id of your blade holder (7/8 or 1”.)

Did you get an ESD safe solder station?

Curious what the accent leds are for?  Looks like you got rgb all separately. If you are thinking about a crystal chamber, you might consider a single rgb led.

Didn’t check resistance calcs, but I have done this setup a few times, and the ‘closest that we sell’ matches from TCSS were all plenty small, so you might pick up theirs rather than the amazon ones you mentioned. You have several high powered leds and several accent leds...I suggest buying a bunch of the various resistors from TCSS (the next time you have a material order so you don’t pay for shipping just for resistors) so that you always have what you need on hands...and they are super cheep!

Good luck and MTFBWY.

Offline codyholla

• No Force
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • KVM Switches Online
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 08:18:32 AM »
Welcome...that is a heck of a shopping list. I am sure you will get lots of feedback, but a few thoughts after a quick glance.

If you are building the ANH version, you wouldn’t need the rivets, if you are looking to match the prop...that one has solid grips with no rivet holes...the others use the holes.

You need an led heat sink for the graflex blade holders (something like this http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Heatsink-module-for-1-ID-tubes-P1027.aspx [nofollow] ) and you need to make sure the OD of the sink matches the id of your blade holder (7/8 or 1”.)

Did you get an ESD safe solder station?

Curious what the accent leds are for?  Looks like you got rgb all separately. If you are thinking about a crystal chamber, you might consider a single rgb led.

Didn’t check resistance calcs, but I have done this setup a few times, and the ‘closest that we sell’ matches from TCSS were all plenty small, so you might pick up theirs rather than the amazon ones you mentioned. You have several high powered leds and several accent leds...I suggest buying a bunch of the various resistors from TCSS (the next time you have a material order so you don’t pay for shipping just for resistors) so that you always have what you need on hands...and they are super cheep!

Good luck and MTFBWY.

Thank you for the response!

The extra rivets are for the 4ea semi-newly discovered handle rivets [nofollow]

I will find that LED housing!  Thank you!

I did get an ESD soldering iron.  I got to X-Tronics 3020 Pro.  And 60/40 lead based solder.

Accent LEDs are for blutooth module and whatnot.  I did totally overlook the RGB 5mm!!  I need to pick one up.  Glad I have a ton of Amazon points lol.

I am going to return the Amazon resistors and get the TCSS ones.  so much better!  gonna need to find something to warrant shipping costs!  :P

I really appriciate your input, Scott!  MTFBWY!!

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »
You can get a decent shipment together from TCSS with what you still need. They also have all the accent leds that I think will suit your needs...specifically the rgb ones. When I do that type of order I usually also grab all of the different set screws you might need. Can’t have too many of those and resistors sitting around given how affordable they are.

Offline codyholla

• No Force
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • KVM Switches Online
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
[nofollow]

So far so good!

retrousse