fiduciary

Author Topic: Neopixel strip without middle solder joint  (Read 1767 times)

Offline jalex000

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Neopixel strip without middle solder joint
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
Has anyone run across 144 pixel neopixel strips that don't have the solder joint in the middle, i.e. are one continuous strip rather than 2 0.5 meter strips soldered together? This joint has cracked on me a couple of times now in light dueling. In my last repair, I hot glued a toothpick across the join hoping this would give it some added strength. Ideally, I'd like my next blade to not have this weak point at all, so I'm hoping that someone manufactures longer strips?

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Re: Neopixel strip without middle solder joint
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
No. They all have the joints as far as I've seen.

How are you constructing the blade? Sounds like the innards are rustling around inside the blade tube? There should be absolutely no movement in the blade tube.

Offline jalex000

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »
The strips are held inside a TCSS foam tube. The strips fit snugly inside the tube, and and foam fits snugly inside the blade. There is no movement in a swing as far as I can tell. My theory is that the vibration from clashes put stress on this joint, accumulating micro-fractures that eventually lead to the joint failing entirely. It could be that aligning the position of this joint in the two strips make it especially vulnerable of this problem. I'm thinking that I will trim from opposite ends of the two strips on my next blade so that the solder joints are backed by an uncut strip on the opposite side of the blade.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:35:41 PM »
Once you've got your solder joints the way you want them, consider adding 3/8 inch clear heatshrink around the blade assembly (I do one 1/4 inch around one strip, then back the other one up to it, then encase everything inside 3/8) which I think will keep your blade assembly together and with an extra level of protection and vibration protection, too

Offline Master Cram-Fu

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
Once you've got your solder joints the way you want them, consider adding 3/8 inch clear heatshrink around the blade assembly (I do one 1/4 inch around one strip, then back the other one up to it, then encase everything inside 3/8) which I think will keep your blade assembly together and with an extra level of protection and vibration protection, too

+1 on the heatshrink

Offline jalex000

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
Are you enclosing the entire strip in a continuous piece shrink tube, or just junction points? Are you heat-shrinking the tubing at all, or just using it as mechanical and electric insulation?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:36:05 PM by jalex000 »

retrousse