fiduciary

Author Topic: My next epic reveal design WIP  (Read 3760 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
My next epic reveal design WIP
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »
So, it's exam week, no getting around it.  You guys are probably sick of hearing me complain about school, so I'll just skip that part right now, but I will say the model you're about to see has been the product of me brushing up on my 3d modelling in my study breaks.  I'm very happy with how the model has turned out so far.  There's only one piece that isn't fitting right because my holes are misaligned, but I'll fix that later on.  As of now, the chamber is in rough form and the saber is in finished form as far as the render goes.  I'm using Autodesk Inventor (terrible UI, but unlike Solidworks, it's a free student edition) so the render quality isn't great, but the saber itself is dead on to the russrep obi that I am using for this build.  Normally I'd wait to show the render until it was complete, but I'm really excited about how this model has turned out so far, so I figured I'd just make this a WIP thread. 

above you can see the part that isn't quite fitting right, but it's an easy fix once I've got some more time.  I'm probably going to make the fins taller anyway, so I've been stalling that fix until I do, as I'll just reassemble the whole chamber at once. 

It could be a while before I get this one finished, but then again, I may surprise myself and crank these out in a weekend or two over break.  I haven't decided yet, but I don't even have the pommels for the sabers yet, so I've got time to figure it out. 

Anyway, thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
Re: My next epic reveal design WIP
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:58:23 PM »
If this is anything like your last epic reveal then we are all in for a real treat. I love Obi's and I can't wait to see more.

Good luck with the end of your semester, Alex. I am right there with you: two exams and a paper this week and then three exams in a row next week. Being a Junior with 18 credit hours sucks, hahah.

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
Looks great

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:23:33 PM »
" ok,so he has some skills" :)) great work. We  all will be watching and waiting.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »
thanks for the comments guys.  I'll be back to this tomorrow night after I am done with exams and I will probably finish it then as there isn't much left to do from here.  The only piece I'm missing is the pommel, so the render won't be finished until I get the pommels. 

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »
wow, man! looks great, alex! i'm a huge fan of the obi design and everytime i see an obi with a reveal chamber, i drool... :D i'm very excited to see the first machined parts! :)

good luck with your exams ;)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »
wow, man! looks great, alex! i'm a huge fan of the obi design and everytime i see an obi with a reveal chamber, i drool... :D i'm very excited to see the first machined parts! :)

good luck with your exams ;)

Thanks man!  I was never a fan of the obi until I saw slothfurnace's build log.  I had no clue the russrep obis looked that much different from the parks.  Once I saw how good sloth's obi looked just as far as the hilt goes, I knew I had to have one at some point. 

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
Nice work, but it will only be "epic" if it's springloaded.

Anything else is just a reveal.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »
well, so far, that's the plan.  and really only for the reason that a spring loaded locking mechanism seems like my easiest way to latch the saber closed securely and easily reveable. 

but, I know I'm not the first one to call a saber an epic reveal just because of the look of the chamber. 

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
well, so far, that's the plan.  and really only for the reason that a spring loaded locking mechanism seems like my easiest way to latch the saber closed securely and easily reveable. 

but, I know I'm not the first one to call a saber an epic reveal just because of the look of the chamber.

No, you're not.  I just equate "Epic Reveals" as springloaded, made to a certain standard, and otherwise groundbreaking in some way.   Not just because the chamber is nice.

For example, my ANH Luke reveal I did years ago is not an epic reveal, it's just a reveal.  Even though it was one of the first to use fin and radiator piping with support struts, if not the first.  I could be wrong on that.

Anyway, good luck.  Fitting the saber guts, the chamber, the latch and spring, making it sturdy and functional, fitting all that in there without breaking the boundaries of the external details is quite the challenge.

Will this be a string blade or just a Luxeon type?  The string blade interconnect is usually the toughest part.  If it's a luxeon, you're got yourself an easier project.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
string blade.  I came up with a unique solution for the connector though.  more on that later

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
I'll be watching this thread with great anticipation as I too have an "epic reveal" in the planning.

retrousse