fiduciary

Author Topic: Anyone got an Inertia?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Blair

• Force User
  • UK Sabersmith and Collector
    • http://www.blss.info
Anyone got an Inertia?
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:42:48 AM »
I am interested in buying an Inertia off of Parks... but was wondering if anyone around here could comment on it first?  I've been holding off buying a double/staff sabre for a while since the only option seems to be screw together hilts like the Darth Muals.   I love the idea of the Magnetic Coupler on the Inertia... but I have never seen one in person or heard of anyone reviewing it.

Has anyone used one?

Is it any good for spins and such?

I'll even take second hand reviews.  :)

Inquiring minds and sabre fans want to know...

-Blair

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
Re: Anyone got an Inertia?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
I've got the Inertia.  I bought it at the Parks booth at Comic-Con 2005.  My interia has a different color combination than the pics on Parks website.  One hilt has green EL rope underneath the control box (as shown on the website) but the lights on the bubble strip are yellow.  The other hilt has blue EL rope underneath the control box and the lights on the bubble strip are red.

It's pretty cool ... the magnetic pommels work very well and fit together nicely.  They have never come apart without me forcing them apart.  It's a very strong magnet. 

I only have 2 complaints about it ... first because of the control box you can't grip very high on the hilt (as you can see from the pics on his website).  The control box is right underneath the emitter so you can't go above the control box ... you can only grip below it.

The second complaint is the blade brightness.  I noticed that the blades aren't as bright with this Parks saber as with other parks sabers.  I believe it may be due to power also going to the extra EL rope and the bubble strip.  I also used to have a Dark Avenger ... only it had an Episode 3 Obi-Wan Kenobi computer strip plate on the activation box instead of the light-up activation box.  Everything else was stock Parks electronics.  I noticed the same blades I used in the Inertia looked brighter when I used them in the Dark Avenger.  So I theorized it may be due to the extra EL Rope taking some of the power away from the EL blade.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
Someone can correct me if I am in error, but don't the newer Parks Inertias have two inverters in them now to run the accent EL wire separately?

Ask Do-Clo, as he has experience with the newer ones I believe. ;)

What Jedibum has stated is extremely accurate though! 8)

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
Good point DT!

Since mine is from 2005 and it's been a while since I have purchased a Parks Saber, I have no idea about upgrades he has made since then.  If he's running 2 inverters that would no doubt fix the brightness issue.

So if the EL is as bright as his other sabers then I would say the only possible issue would be the high placed control box.  I do want to say that when you have the inertia connected the control boxes are well placed and leave the right area free for your hands ... it only becomes a possible issue when you try and use the Inertia as single sabers ... then you have to settle for your hands being placed in the middle of the hilt.

But other than that they are very cool sabers.  They are unique enough, but still greatly resemble a lightsaber design you would see in a Star Wars movie.  And the extra EL rope and light-up bubble strips are very cool effects.

Right now mine is in pieces.  I've taken them apart in the hopes of eventually converting them.  I'll keep you guys updated on how that goes.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline Lord Dracus

• Master Force User
  • "The force is mine to command."
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
Good point DT!

Since mine is from 2005 and it's been a while since I have purchased a Parks Saber, I have no idea about upgrades he has made since then.  If he's running 2 inverters that would no doubt fix the brightness issue.

So if the EL is as bright as his other sabers then I would say the only possible issue would be the high placed control box.  I do want to say that when you have the inertia connected the control boxes are well placed and leave the right area free for your hands ... it only becomes a possible issue when you try and use the Inertia as single sabers ... then you have to settle for your hands being placed in the middle of the hilt.

But other than that they are very cool sabers.  They are unique enough, but still greatly resemble a lightsaber design you would see in a Star Wars movie.  And the extra EL rope and light-up bubble strips are very cool effects.

Right now mine is in pieces.  I've taken them apart in the hopes of eventually converting them.  I'll keep you guys updated on how that goes.

I have a few of the Parks Lightsabers but have never purchased a double hilt form them yet. I hope that you your conversion goes well.

Offline Blair

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:15 AM »
It's pretty cool ... the magnetic pommels work very well and fit together nicely.  They have never come apart without me forcing them apart.  It's a very strong magnet. 

That's what I was mostly interested in.  From other posts by you I assume you have even tried and spin or two with it. :P  So if it holds together well, I'm making the right choice.

Being that I'm not a huge fan of the Dual Sabre / Staff Sabre, I have been putting off getting one till I was able to find one with that little bit extra "wow" to it.  And we all know that Sabre Collecting is like Card Collection... you want to own them all.  ;)

I only have 2 complaints about it ... first because of the control box you can't grip very high on the hilt (as you can see from the pics on his website).  The control box is right underneath the emitter so you can't go above the control box ... you can only grip below it.

I'm used to that.  I've been enjoying my M2, which also has the control box at the top, for a month now.  No problems for me.  And to be honest, I've got so many sabres with different configurations that I have had to learn to adapt to each quickly anyhow from day one.  :)

Thanks for the info... it's made my Large purchase feel a bit more reasuring.

-Blair

Offline Lord Dracus

• Master Force User
  • "The force is mine to command."
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:45 AM »
   I am getting very interested in getting a doublebladed saber from parks !!! Like an Inertia or the Double Helix.

Offline Blair

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »
I know we all love the LED Stars... but I have to say, the EL when done right is just as good.  And more so if you only seem to dual at night.  :)

And what Park's are able to due with the hilts and hilt lighting... pure Art. :)

I'm glad now that the lights went fubar during a convention and I saw the M2 glowing in a vendor's case.  hehehe

-Blair

retrousse