fiduciary

Author Topic: Igniter R5! Episode IV - Return of the Phase  (Read 3621 times)

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
Igniter R5! Episode IV - Return of the Phase
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »
Igniter R5! Episode IV - Return of the Phase

With the great addition of DualPhase(TM) in R4, the peacekeepers rejoiced! However, due to the increasing need for great defenses, the phase must return once more to restore prosperity to the galaxy...

and return it has! In R5, the newest addition is the MultiPhase(TM) feature. With this feature, not only can you switch the blade colors on the fly, but you can also switch the sounds, blade effects, and all properties about the saber (save the volume), seamlessly going form one font to the next! And with the classic DualPhase(TM) available on each font, the amount of color changing is endless...

The following amazing abilities become available in R5.

Switch fonts on the fly, forward and backwards!
With MultiPhase(TM), switching to the next font is as simple as holding down the aux button and doing the classic DualPhase(TM) motion. This will bring you into the next or previous font depending on the direction that the saber was twisted. Counter-clockwise advances and clockwise goes to the previous; however a simple config setting can reverse this direction in case you prefer the opposite, or incase the board is installed backwards in the hilt (default is SD card facing the pommel).

Now you can easily, quickly, and seamlessly switch between fonts in orders never before possible, all while enjoying the real-time color changing feature this provides.

HumRetain(TM)
If changing hums mid-font isn't for you, then HumRetain(TM) has your back. By setting this on in the config, MultiPhase(TM) will work as above except now volume and hums will remain constant when switching between fonts via MultiPhase(TM). This means that if you do the extension on Font1, then MultiPhase(TM) into fonts 2 and then 3, for both of those fonts you would be using the font1's hum, but font2 and font3's colors, blade effects, and even FX settings! However, once you do the retraction and extension again, then the correct hum from the current bank will be used. So in this example doing the retraction on font3 and then the extension will start with font3's hum. MultiPhase(TM)-ing from there would keep font3's hum for any font used until the next retraction. This allows the ultimate Mix-N-Match option, allowing each hum to be used with each font bank, which gives 16 x 16 = 256 saber combinations in a single saber!

MultiPhase(TM) transition sound
In R5, a new multi.wav is used for each font. This wav file is used when transitioning into the font via MultiPhase(TM). Don't worry if you don't have one; the config editor will auto-generate one based on the font.wav file!

However if you want a more organic DualPhase(TM) sound it is possible in the config editor to use the DualPhase(TM) sound for the current font when transitioning to the next/previous font. This allows for a more natural sound for the transition and prevents the need for setting up extra custom sounds.

HumOffset
To allow for a more defined transition between fonts, HumOffset can be used to set the offset length in ms from the end of the multi.wav file that the new hum starts playing. This allows for the multi sound to really stand out, and with this you can even do the extension for the current font and then have the hum mix in afterwards!

Hum Length
Just like for the dpLen, mpLen in the config editor sets the blade length of the MultiPhase(TM) effect. It is especially useful for long sounds as the color-change effect used in DualPhase(TM) and MultiPhase(TM) looks sort of silly when longer than 3 seconds. This way the blade color can change quickly into the new color but the transition sound will still play.

Video

Episode IV - Return of the Phase

I hope everyone is happily surprised with the breadth of new stuff added in the R5 release. It has been one of the most challenging releases, but I believe it is one that will extremely enhance the saber experience. Thanks everyone for the continued support!
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
Re: Igniter R5! Episode IV - Return of the Phase
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
Way to knock it out of the park man! R5 is an amazing release!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
My brain isn't good enough to understand all the great stuff you added!

So many new features  :)
Very cool

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 12:54:25 PM »
In R5, a new multi.wav is used for each font. This wav file is used when transitioning into the font via MultiPhase(TM). Don't worry if you don't have one; the config editor will auto-generate one based on the font.wav file!

However if you want a more organic DualPhase(TM) sound it is possible in the config editor to use the DualPhase(TM) sound for the current font when transitioning to the next/previous font. This allows for a more natural sound for the transition and prevents the need for setting up extra custom sounds.

So it sounds like the MultiPhase transition sound on your video is playing the font name... I'm assuming this is because of the first feature above. Am I also correct in assuming that the second feature above means we could provide a sound to play and the MultiPhase won't play the font name file? I'm not a big fan of dialogue on my personal sabers, so just a really cool sound effect a la DualPhase would be perfect.

Also, how do we do the send-in for flashing? I don's see anything on the site. (I was going to PM you this question, Naigon, but figured others may need to know as well.)

Can't wait for this! The DualPhase is the main reason I wanted an Igniter Mini in my current build and MultiPhase just adds to the awesomeness!

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »

So it sounds like the MultiPhase transition sound on your video is playing the font name... I'm assuming this is because of the first feature above. Am I also correct in assuming that the second feature above means we could provide a sound to play and the MultiPhase won't play the font name file? I'm not a big fan of dialogue on my personal sabers, so just a really cool sound effect a la DualPhase would be perfect.

Also, how do we do the send-in for flashing? I don's see anything on the site. (I was going to PM you this question, Naigon, but figured others may need to know as well.)

Can't wait for this! The DualPhase is the main reason I wanted an Igniter Mini in my current build and MultiPhase just adds to the awesomeness!

The multiphase transition can be either 1. Multi.wav for font you are going into; or 2. dualANN.wav from the previous font. You could easily choose the latter to avoid having talking, or you could make specific multi.wav files for each font that doesn't have talking. I personally just made all my multi.wav files to have talking so I know what font I'm going into, but it works without talking no problem via one of the two methods I mentioned above.

Send ins are $5.00 plus shipping. Boards can go to me in the US or Kyle Edge here on the forum in Canada. I ask that you put your forum name and paypal address on a note inside the box so that I know who it is, otherwise it can be tough for me to figure out your name from one of our PMs (I get a lot of email/PMs).

Thanks for your interest! DualPhase(TM) is a great feature and I'm glad you feel that MultiPhase(TM) does bring it to the next level.
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline jedicri

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
It just keeps getting better!   Anything else?

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
Ha-ha, need five days of new stuff?  :))

Offline jedicri

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 12:58:24 AM »
Ha-ha, need five days of new stuff?  :))

Dude, I didn't expect soo much of an "upgrade".  Those new and additional features are just freakin awesome.  I'll be experimenting a lot and tweaking for sometime on my new TFU2 hilt.

Moreover, these new features opens up the sort of hilt design I would want to put in a saber to reflect said features, such as the DP on Caz's Dark Corran Horn: because of the Igniter's DP feature, he incorporated his working changing of crystals quite well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:06:53 AM by jedicri »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:06:08 AM »
 :o :o :o

bravo scott. Nice up-grade!! 8)

retrousse