fiduciary

Author Topic: DIY Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack  (Read 24070 times)

Offline noyl wendor

• Master Force User
    • waypointsabers
Re: DIY Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
 Howdy. I was under the impression that you could not make Li-Ion packs with protected cells. I thought unprotected cells and a PCB were what was needed to build a pack. Unless it depends on battery type/brand.
 My uderstanding was that "protected" cells PCB's would fight eachother during recharge. Or did I completely miss something in this thread?
  ;D
"I don't deal in exotic weapons"

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
Howdy. I was under the impression that you could not make Li-Ion packs with protected cells. I thought unprotected cells and a PCB were what was needed to build a pack. Unless it depends on battery type/brand.
 My uderstanding was that "protected" cells PCB's would fight eachother during recharge. Or did I completely miss something in this thread?
  ;D

WAs wondering the same thing..

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
You CAN make a pack with protected cells but you remove the protection circuit and just use the tabs for soldering.

EDIT: you can leave the protection circuits in place but I personally wouldn't. I would use a PCB.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:55:53 AM by IndustrialAction »

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »
You CAN make a pack with protected cells but you remove the protection circuit and just use the tabs for soldering.

You dont have to remove the protection circuit. You can use the protected AWs or Trustfires to make a pack without a 7.4V PCB. The built in ones wont interfere really.. The batteries might lose their balance after a couple years, but that can be fixed by doing individual charges again. (I have 2 14670 packs like this, they're still in balance and running strong 1 year later)

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »
What PJ said.

YES, you can make a pack with protected cells and yes they work fine.  Keep in mind unprotected cells are becoming more difficult to obtain so eventually we may all have to go to packs made this way, or a removable solution ;).

If you fully charge both batteries on a charger that balances them prior to making your pack, you will have the best possible results and the longest possible life.  We have packs with protected cells that have been in the wild for 3+ years now and still going strong :o.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
What PJ said.

YES, you can make a pack with protected cells and yes they work fine.  Keep in mind unprotected cells are becoming more difficult to obtain so eventually we may all have to go to packs made this way, or a removable solution ;).

If you fully charge both batteries on a charger that balances them prior to making your pack, you will have the best possible results and the longest possible life.  We have packs with protected cells that have been in the wild for 3+ years now and still going strong :o.

Yes, everyone listen to Lumi. She taught me all her tricks :)

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline ag3nt4877

• Force User
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 06:03:12 PM »
Somewhat related question ... Is it safe two use a 2AA battery holder with AW 14500 Protected Rechargeable Lithium Battery and use it as an in hilt charge pack?

Offline const

• No Force
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
excellent post, now that Tim is stocking even more battery selections!  Just to clarify (better safe than sorry with explodables!) JST connectors would go like normal on the + - leads?

Offline Sohryu76

• Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 06:09:19 PM »
I have a question about building my own battery packs... and I think I have the correct idea in my head, but something tells me I am wrong at the same time.

Can anyone point me to building a 7.4V battery pack in a 2x2 configuration?

I can't convince myself my wiring idea is correct.

thanks in advance!
Proud Owner of:

Offline djkibaman

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
So if i wanted to use protected batteries to make a pack, do i have to charge them up before making them? then does that mean i have to buy a regular charger like  this one first to charge them up? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-All-in-One-Charger-P346.aspx
because i already have nice li-on charger that i use for my helicopters, is there way to use it to charge these batteries?

hunting Unicorns one day at time...

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
So if i wanted to use protected batteries to make a pack, do i have to charge them up before making them? then does that mean i have to buy a regular charger like  this one first to charge them up? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-All-in-One-Charger-P346.aspx
because i already have nice li-on charger that i use for my helicopters, is there way to use it to charge these batteries?
When making ANY type of Li-Ion battery pack,  you really do need to fully charge each cell in the pack prior to making the pack.  If you don't,  you run the risk of having an unbalanced pack,  as was mentioned above.

Offline djkibaman

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
Ok i know that i have to charge them up first before making the pack but I'm trying to find out if i have to buy this one to charge them up first
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-All-in-One-Charger-P346.aspx
or is there a way to charge the batteries with the one i have already like this one before making the pack?

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
Ok i know that i have to charge them up first before making the pack but I'm trying to find out if i have to buy this one to charge them up first
or is there a way to charge the batteries with the one i have already like this one before making the pack?

Uh,  you asked "do i have to charge them up before making them?"  

And those links are the same charger....I'll assume the other one you meant to post is this one:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/37V-148V-Li-Ion-Smart-charger--P129.aspx

The answer to that question is yes,  you can use that charger to charge the cells,  but you'll have to make an adapter to charge them with.  I used a single AA holder from Radio Shack with a 2.1mm charge port attached to it.  Another way to do it is just solder some wires to the ends of each cell (you're going to do that anyway to make the pack) and just use the alligator clips that came with the charger to charge them (you may have to charge them one at a time).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:03:51 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline djkibaman

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »
Thank u QGJ i think i'll use the 2nd advise btw sorry for incorrect link. This is the one i own but i guess it's same difference now
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Thunder-Power-TP610C-1-6Cell-LiPo-0-25-10A-p/thp610.htm?29184 these would work also right?

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
Depends on what adapter came with it.  I find using one where the batteries pop in is easier for battery packs, particularly if you are making several.

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse