fiduciary

Author Topic: Dooku and Qui-gon : the same character?  (Read 7345 times)

xwingband

Re: Dooku and Qui-gon : the same character?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »
Heres the only reason i see in not doin the whole Qui-Gon betrayal thing. I think some of you will agree. Now if qui-gon did live, leave the order and start the separitist movement, that would have been one of the main stories in the PT. The PT's story is about how Anakin came to be Vader thats why Lucas made it. LUcas really wanted to tell this story. and having qui-gon become such a big deal would have stolen some of the focus from the main plot ( anakin->Vader). So although it would have been a VERY GOOD story. I understand leaving it out because its not that story we're meant to focus on its Anakin's.  Just my opinion on why he left it out.

That and I simply do not see Qui-Gon as a sith.  That's the whole shroud of the dark side.  Forces on both sides were being manipulated and idealistic as Qui-Gon was I don't see him willfully joining the sith.  Leaving the Jedi perhaps but not openly working against them.

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »
Ya good call. It just wouldnt fit the character of Qui-Gon to go darkside. He'd probly be like one of them grey jedi. No tpart of the order, but not bad.

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 06:22:20 PM »
we weren't supposed to see dooku as a consumate "sith" either.
he was supposed to be a distinguished Jedi who left the order because of differences with the council
and was trying to unravel the mysteries of the sith on his own.

he was (supposed to be) playing both sides of the fence.   
as the audience, we're supposed to believe that he wants to destroy the sith.

in AOTC he tells Obiwan "join me and together we will destroy the sith!" and he sounds pretty serious about it. 

--->  if this were coming from Qui-gon I'd have believed it.   
and we'd never really know what side the seperatist leader was on.    even after Anakin killed him in ROTS.
(ie: did Palpatine let anakin kill dooku because he knew Dooku wanted to destroy the sith?)*

*this question doesn't even come up, because christopher Lee played him like count-freakin'-Dracula.
there's no question he's EVIL.  ::) he's christopher Lee FFS (LOL).

if the seperatist leader were played by Liam Neeson (as Qui-Gon) instead, then we would see him as sort of a tragic hero.
ie: he went to the dark side, to take it down from within.  and he failed. 
proving, ultimately, that it can't be done, and creating tension for the hero....
(like Red Leader in ANH proves the computer can't hit the exhaust port: he goes before our hero, and establishes the parameters of the struggle)
...which would define anakin's story:  so the audience knows what he's up against.

also it would give a reason for the Jedi Immortality.. thing.
ie: BECAUSE he would have to be "neutral" (as far as the light-side/dark-side struggle), in order to play both sides of the fence,
this could be explained as a reason why he found the secret to "BALANCE" and ended up as a force-ghost.    *shrug*

this isn't explained at all, the way it stands now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:28:50 PM by Cobalt60 »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

xwingband

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 06:59:27 PM »
I honestly don't agree.  That scene you refer to Dooku is obviously taunting Obi-wan.  He knows that the sith are in control on both opposing sides.  It's as much of idealism as Anakin believing he can overthrow the Emperor and rule the Galaxy to bring peace with an iron hand as Dooku believing he can bring down the Sith.  Dooku is meant to be the pawn to bring Anakin over.

Plus we need a martyr Jedi in the Prequels to be the one to come back with all that becoming one with the force stuff.  Thus the need for two characters.

Offline Darth Pantsless

• Master Force User
  • He's a scoundrel, you'd like him
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 08:25:01 PM »
Also, if QG had fallen and Anakin had killed him, it would have added a little more symmetry to the trilogies, and further highlighted the differences between Luke and Anakin (IE their choices)

Perhaps it could have been a compromise something along the line of in the duel on the invisible hand, Qui-gon had realised the error of his ways and begged for forgiveness, only to have Palpatine order Anakin to kill him.

That would have shown the whole "betrayel" theme a lot better in terms of Anakins fall to the dark side.

Cheers

Dave

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 03:52:10 AM »
good point pantsless...
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 07:57:26 AM »
Qui-Gon to die while begging for mercy. If youre gonna drag his character out to episode 3 he needs a more dignified ending.

Offline Darth Pantsless

• Master Force User
  • He's a scoundrel, you'd like him
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »
Maybe not begging for mercy, but for forgiveness or something, a return to the lightside so that he was in the exact same position as Luke in ROTJ looking down on a defeated Vader, just before he threw his lightsaber away

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 04:20:33 PM »
I think if Qui-gon were to get killed he would just sit there and close his eyes and peacefully let Anakin kill him. Sorta like in EP1 when Qui-gon meditates. I mean I think Qui-gon would've made it more realistic about Anakin's fall to the darkside. But yes it is supposed to be about Anakin but it would be, it would just create a better story. I mean when I look back at all the episodes the only ones I think of without real duels are EP4 and EP2. But I think GL should've went for this.
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 04:29:03 PM »
i dont think the character of qui-gon would beg for anything. remember what ben did in ep4, closed his eyes and stood there. that to me sounds more like a qg move.
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »
Good call Knucle i agree.

Nhoj-pas Anner

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 09:12:41 PM »
how awesome would it have been for anakin to chop off qui-gons head!!! it would add to more of the torment that Ani had to endure. the very man who freed him from slavery, betraying everyone and everything, and chopping Ani's hand off!!!   (if only) ???

retrousse