fiduciary

Author Topic: Yoda Saber (retrofit / conversion)  (Read 10671 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Yoda Saber (retrofit / conversion)
« on: November 24, 2009, 04:34:09 AM »
It's been a long time I wanted to make a Luxeon Yoda Saber. The Yoda hilts aren't that popular cause it's hard to justify their use unless you have the costume that goes with it ;-)
However, I love the shape and I think it's a great collector item. I finally got an empty hilt, a salvaged MR one, and the project could start. This small hilt was also a nice challenge to fit batteries, CF and speaker.
Also, I wanted to keep the stock green "indicators" that are fake on the MR version, and turn them into functionnal light-up switches for controlling the CF board.

Monolithic PCV chassis for the (home made) 14500 li-ion battery pack, speaker and board. Overdriven green luxeon V, invisible recharge port, rumbling motor, Crystal Focus 4.31 and custom light-up tactile switches for the blade activation and auxiliary button. TCSS conversion kit of course ;-)

My work started with the modification of the green plastic inserts / bubbles / lenses to make the light-up tactile switches.

► I worked on the most difficult one first : the side greebly. I had to carve the plastic with a dremel bit to free the square insert then carve again to free the lense without ruining it.

► Then I had to create a very SLIM and FLUSH switch since it was meant to be installed between the sleeve and hilt body. I used incredibly tiny switches identical as what you can find in a Wii Remote. Impossible to install the LED on top of it, though : using the led in sandwich between the tactile and the Green plunger, would have made the electrical connections to the led after some use. Hence, I chose a side lighting, less bright but safer. Light is still guided and bounces to the green lense to illuminate it. An idea of the scale with the caliper ^^ .

►The green lense receive a little washer so that it can't escape from the hole. Then switch & led were glued on a piece of plasticard and glued in place so that the lense acts as a tactile plunger on the yellow surface of the switch. Light is more shy compared to a switch that would be lit by under the lense, but still, it lights up clearly. This assembly was really micro electronics. The LED is a 0603 smd package, wire is 30 gauge ribbon cable.
To confirm it again, it's not just a led, it's an illuminated custom tactile switch :-)

►Same for the activator. I didn't want to use the stock MR latching slide switch, I prefer momentaries when used with the A-POP feature of the Crystal Focus board. Fortunatly I had a red momentary that would fit with only minor milling of the stock switch cavity. The red was replaced by the same SMD "pure green" as for the lateral light-up switch presented above.
Since everything must remain removable if I have to take appart the saber, micro JST connectors to hook up switches to the CF board.

►Invisible Recharge Port (centering to be perfected)

► Closing the beast

►Almost done. I still have to do a Yoda sound font. Good opportunity to come back to some audio work left behind like 2 years ago. I also need to powder coat the emitter in satin black.
For now, the idle LED is the activator one, not so great when displaying the saber, when the saber is laying flat with the activator facing the base of the stand. The side led (aux switch) will be setup as the idle led next time I open the saber.

► VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFXna_XALg

[update]
I worked on a little emitter plug. I've PCed the part, not that bad, then weathered it a little since I though that's where the saber can get slightly worn out because of the blade energy.
You can also spot the kill key.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:42:17 PM by erv »

Offline Forcestruck

• Master Force User
Re: Yoda Saber (retrofit / conversion)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »
Nice conversion Erv!

Quote from: erv
Monolithic PCV chassis for the (home made) 14500 li-ion battery pack, speaker and board. Overdriven green luxeon V, invisible recharge port, rumbling motor, Crystal Focus 4.31 and custom light-up tactile switches for the blade activation and auxiliary button.

Alll in a little MR Yoda?  :o

I'm not even sure what to say, impressive doesn't begin to describe it.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:58:06 AM »
Quote from: erv
Monolithic PCV chassis for the (home made) 14500 li-ion battery pack, speaker and board. Overdriven green luxeon V, invisible recharge port, rumbling motor, Crystal Focus 4.31 and custom light-up tactile switches for the blade activation and auxiliary button.

Alll in a little MR Yoda?  :o

I'm not even sure what to say, impressive doesn't begin to describe it.

Thanks !
"will it fit ?? that's the question ! let's figure out !"

don't get me wrong, it's not a chassis like a Yoda chassis, this thing isn't supposed to be revealed, guts aren't meant to be exposed. It's a machined PVC tube to hold and isolate the parts. Also, it slides out in a single piece by the front of the saber once you've removed the luxeon connector, the emitter and the 2 JST micro connectors (well, you have to slide out the sleeve, remove the 2 headless screws that are hidden under, they lock the chassis in position).

but yes...
it FITS !  ;D
(epic win, sort of)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:09:50 PM by erv »

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:25:49 AM »
The MR Yoda hilt gets no love most of the time, due to it's size. Most Sabersmiths just pull the soundboard, and resell the empty or make a stunt out of it.
It's nice to see one getting some buttered toast treatment.

"The cram-fu is strong with this one" ;D

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline General Kota

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as R2-Q5
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:45:12 AM »
I like it erv, Grate idea with the led's ,

General Kota's
        Sabers
---------------------------
- Larbel
    Larbel Qui Gon Jinn non el ready with a PC-U and a crystal chamber   (finished machining)
-JQSABERS
    Luke Hero V2 custom (In building process)
 - Planing stage
    Nothing :)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »
That's really cool.  That recharge port setup is my favorite part! AWesome.

Once again, excellent job!

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 07:15:52 AM »
Looks great, Erv! It's only fitting that the first ever CF Yoda was made in your mad scientist laboratory!

Looking forward to that Yoda font as well...so many great quotes to choose from...

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:36:13 AM »
WOW :o  Like Jango said, that is some amazing cram-fu!  The custom switches are amazing Erv'.  I think patience-fu is strong with you too ;D

Facebook: VVFB

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:12:45 AM »
That's really cool.  That recharge port setup is my favorite part! AWesome.

for some reason, nice bottoms seem to be attractive. A lot. Don't start me about how this recharge... hole... looks good.  :-X
ahah.

luminara: indeed, patience fu. Well, I had to use the hammer on plastic clamps, those little buggers with slippery jaws didn't hold anything, and sattelized the green lense in the lab... twice. Searched for it for 15 minutes.
Now the plastic clamp knows that both the concrete of the garage slip AND my hammer are both really hard.
The activator switch was WAY easier to make  :)

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »
Yeah definitely LOTS of fu with this one!  This is a TRUE Yoda saber:  Very small but packs a whole lot of punch!  8)

I've actually always thought about how cool a CF Yoda would be.  It will look even more awesome once that emitter is pc'd.

Amazing job, Erv!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
 :o :o

wow you're amazing erv!!This saber is small;but,powerful lol :D :D

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »
new pics in the first post : emitter plug

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 02:35:41 AM »
That is fantastic,  erv!  I've always wanted to see someone light up those fake led's on the Yoda Fx,  but I never thought anyone would make them into buttons,  too!  Too cool!

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:40:13 AM »
Awesome work!  That is def the coolest Yoda saber out there. Size matters not, especially in this case.  ;D

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:00:56 AM »
thanks,
that's what I like with a retrofit. Don't add custom thingies here and there, just keep the whole thing as it is (aside of the blade holder and a larger hole in the pommel).

retrousse