fiduciary

Author Topic: KRxOR Luke Hero  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Kreyhn

• No Force
  • BZZSHZRRMMmmmmm...
KRxOR Luke Hero
« on: January 29, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »
Hi all,

This was the first hilt I ever bought and installed. As I have learned more about building sabers, I have been able to observe the limitations in function that this one has, namely in heavy dueling (this hilt is more for light dueling and looking gorgeous on a shelf). Being my first saber, wiring issues crept up over time and certain functions began to drop out (keeping the control box lights working; I didn't wire connections very sturdily). I had intended to re-wire it from scratch, but life has become busy to the point that it now seems more like a chore than something I would enjoy (given the work it would take to re-wire it and its limitations regarding dueling). I really only retain interest in building the hilt I have designed myself.

The heavier sentiments aside, I've given this hilt my love over the last few years and now I wish to pass forward this gorgeous hilt to another sabersmith. Please allow me to walk you through it.

This is the full hilt in all its beauty! KR did a great job keeping the copper to a perfect polish with a protective finish.

Here is the emitter. Over time, dueling with it harder than I should have has led to the blade flying out and bending the LED holder/heatsink. This gives the blade plug and blade a tighter fit, but does not hinder the LEDs from shining through the blade. I modified the blade plug in 2 ways: I drilled a hole in the center and filled it with silicone to allow for a shine-through effect in crystal-display mode. I also drilled a hole in the side to allow for a consistent spot for the plug to be tightened in by the screw on the side of the emitter. I messed this up a bit and while the fashion-screw on the plug lines up with the practical screw on the emitter, it gets pushed up a bit when tightened in. Fixing this error might mean expanding the hole upwards and adding epoxy on the lower aspect to get it right. Or whatever you dream up! Lastly, the heatsink is threadlocked in to prevent it from unscrewing from the saber. I used purple Loctite (the weakest) and it can probably be unscrewed with some force. The emitter is not threadlocked onto the copper and it is possible that unscrewing that part may allow for the pressure you need to unscrew the heatsink. Because of this, I left the wires and the LED + lens in place. These all still function well. This may not entirely make sense now, but should hopefully make more sense if it is in your hands.

The control box is in great shape, and the PCB is inside (not pictured). I used a Nano Biscotte, so I only ever installed one switch. An alternate board could use an aux switch, or a second main switch could be wired in if you want to use a NB and be able to press anywhere on the copper/black for activation. There are some scratches on the hilt, and I've taken pictures of the biggest ones. Lastly, the wires I left in place have taken some damage from unscrewing the hilt so many times. It could use heat shinkies over the wires and/or a large heat shrink over this spot for future protection.

Below are all the pieces I intend to send. I burnt out the original LEDs for the control box, so I got some more. I also had installed it with GOTH-3D's original metal knight chassis. I'll include the metal pieces and a "crystal". The rest of the nylon plastic chassis had become sticky from using too much spray paint and the other crystal became sticky from the glue I used on the crystal's acrylic. There is no residue within the hilt. If you want to build with the old chassis, he still has the old parts on his shapeways store. Instructions should also be on his website. He also has a new chassis for this hilt on his shapeways, but it does not yet have installation instructions. Included are the second blue switch as well as the proper hex keys and the corbin-diffused 36" thin-walled blade. If you would like, I will also send you the NB v3, battery, and recharge port I used. The battery is fully charged.

I have pointed out these blemishes in order to be totally transparent. Otherwise, the saber is in great condition.

My intention for this saber is for it to find a new home with another saber smith. It was my first saber and has served me well over time. I would not feel right selling it, especially with some of the damage I have done to it, and thus it is a gift to whoever would like to take it in.

Feel free to ask any questions and let me know if you are interested! If you do end up with it, GOTH-3D has good installation instructions and KR sabers could probably give you all the original information he listed during its original sale.

Cheers!
Kreyhn
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:29:08 PM by Kreyhn »

Offline Kreyhn

• No Force
  • BZZSHZRRMMmmmmm...
Re: KRxOR Luke Hero
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »
As well, here are some pictures of the internals and the original GOTH-3D chassis. These were taken during its original construction.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:04:36 PM by Kreyhn »

Offline bigdaddy1427

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 06:53:19 PM »
PM sent.  I will gladly take this as a project.

Offline Kreyhn

• No Force
  • BZZSHZRRMMmmmmm...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 04:05:31 AM »
Replied.

As well, I am having second thoughts about parting with this hilt; I’m not so sure I’m ready yet. Moderators, can I lock this thread while I discuss it privately?

retrousse