fiduciary

Author Topic: Repairs and Upgrades Log  (Read 2289 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Repairs and Upgrades Log
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:55:24 AM »
Lightsaber Repairs and Upgrades

Arklight Arsenal Larbel Deep Grooved Goodman Qui

Battery Replacement, Power jack replacement, Upgrade to Crystal Focus 9

This is the unique Larbel Qui Gon lightsaber bored out and beautifully designed and configured by John Goodman of Arklight Arsenal about 10 years ago. This lightsaber changed the game. Being the first Larbel Qui Gon (a very accurate but solid Qui Gon display lightsaber) to be converted to a working prop, Goodman also added several features not available in lightsaber props at the time including multiple crystal chambers and many accent lights for the 'bling bling' effect here in the 'reveal' display mode.

Since Goodman and Arklight Arsenal are no longer in the saber hobby (as far as I know), this Qui Gon lightsaber was sent to me to an upgrade to CF 9 (previously had a CF 5) and also a new power pack.

I started by removing the shroud and getting the old power pack removed and pulling out the CF 5 board.

The board contained some accent lights on the CF5 and I ultimately kept those exactly as they were for the CF 9 and also added three more accent LEDs which are visible when you remove the emitter shroud part for display.

Before replacing the battery pack, I tested the saber with an external battery first.

Here I've lined up the CF 9 board alongside the current CF 5 configuration to get an idea how to transfer the leads.

Some photos of me preparing the CF 9 for the transfer. 'Pre-op' surgery here :)

In the foreground here you can see Goodman's modified LED heatsink module. I'm planning for this saber to have quick disconnects for the LED module which you can see here. Ultimately, there wasn't enough room for these quick disconnects and they had to be removed before final assembly. However, I did leave a bit of wire instead so the next time this comes apart there will be some wiggle-room with the wires.

Completely pulled out the CF 5 board here.

Battery pack is made up of two small cells of 16430 batteries. I think I may have gotten the last of these off the internet! Two 3.7v 650mah which is exactly the cells that were used originally. Made the pack with a completely new PCB to protect the pack. New pack delivers 7.4v lithium ion power to the CF 9.

Here I'm replacing the 2.1 power jack. Thankfully the old one can unscrew out.

The new Switchcraft power jack from TCSS had to be modified to work here. If the top wasn't sawed off, the threads of the power jack would interfere with the main shroud sliding on and off.

Here you can see the lovely deep grooves of this Qui Gon. This is years before other deep grooved Qui Gons became available as empty hilts. For a time, this was one of the only operational deep grooved Qui Gon lightsabers out there in the saberverse.

https://youtu.be/cUHDT0tUg2U

DO-CLO CF5 Lightsaber

Upgrade to Plecter Pixel for Gary

Photos coming soon

DO-CLO Lightsaber Upgrade from Nova Conceptions (old board) to CFX

Upgrade to Plecter Pixel for Gary

Photos coming soon
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:46:32 AM by EXAR KUN »

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Re: Repairs and Upgrades Log
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »
Photos and videos added for the Arklight Arsenal Qui Gon upgrade

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:30:41 PM »
This saber is jaw-dropping beautiful and looks so much better than mass-marketed 3d printed chassis today IMO. I hope Goodman makes a comeback one day

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:30:06 PM »
This saber is jaw-dropping beautiful and looks so much better than mass-marketed 3d printed chassis today IMO. I hope Goodman makes a comeback one day

Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s going to happen.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

retrousse