fiduciary

Author Topic: cree amber... is it more yellow or orange???  (Read 3234 times)

Offline snilam

• Experienced Force User
cree amber... is it more yellow or orange???
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
hey guys about to make a yellow bladed saber and haven't ever used an amber cree before. I just color mixed an RGB before to get yellow but would like to try the cree ambers. Seeing if any of you guys can tell me from first hand experience (not photos or videos)  if the color is more of a yellow or is a little orange. Thanks again

Offline TempleoftheBluegrass

• Force User
Re: cree amber... is it more yellow or orange???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
It's definitely more yellow.  Honestly it's about the perfect shade of yellow.  My most recent build has a tri cree red, blue, Amber, and I'm very pleased with the yellow and the mixes I get.  I could post a pic or video later if you like

Offline snilam

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »
It's definitely more yellow.  Honestly it's about the perfect shade of yellow.  My most recent build has a tri cree red, blue, Amber, and I'm very pleased with the yellow and the mixes I get.  I could post a pic or video later if you like

no video needed as I never trust colors from pictures or videos, just to many variables. Your testimonial is all I needed. Thank you! :azn:

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »
Oooh this is perfect do you have a blue amber mix?  I've always wondered what that would look like...
Run with perseverance the race marked out...

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:50:59 PM »
I do play with the blue Amber mix allot.  It's icy white with a slightly purple hint when you turn them both all the way up. it's late here now, but I could probably post a pic tomorrow if you want

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
Oh, and you are very welcome! Glad my testimony could help!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »
Blue and yellow is how white light is made. A phosphor coating fluoresces yellow in the blue (or UV) light, the yellow and blue combine to form an apparent white. (there is no such thing as white light, of course).  It's the same principle in LEDs and fluorescent lighting.

I'm actually hoping for a more orange light, I have Cree tri amber and tri red-orange coming in tomorrow.  I'm hoping one of them is close to what I'm going for.  If not I may try a custom amber/red or red-orange/blue so I can also get a good clash effect.

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 08:43:42 PM »
Okay cool, thanks guys!
Run with perseverance the race marked out...

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:12:43 AM »
Blue and yellow is how white light is made. A phosphor coating fluoresces yellow in the blue (or UV) light, the yellow and blue combine to form an apparent white. (there is no such thing as white light, of course).  It's the same principle in LEDs and fluorescent lighting.

I'm actually hoping for a more orange light, I have Cree tri amber and tri red-orange coming in tomorrow.  I'm hoping one of them is close to what I'm going for.  If not I may try a custom amber/red or red-orange/blue so I can also get a good clash effect.

The Red orange is a dark deep orange, almost tomato color.  Amber depends on bin but usually sort of a gold color.  Personally I would rather mix my oranges and yellows with red and green as then you can get the perfect shade and it will be much brighter than an Amber LED.  The Red-Orange LED is decently bright though if you like that shade.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »
Thanks for the tips! (and apologies for the thread jack, but it still seems on topic)

I have an RGrB, but I have a few other projects for which a more yellow or red LED would work so I figured it's worth testing these things out for myself.  The commentary I've found on the topic is either mixed or possibly outdated.  I'm also planning on picking up an enhanced amber blade and seeing how that goes.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
Since it's impossible to really photograph well, I would say the best estimation I could give in terms of color hex codes for the amber is FFCC00 and for red-orange is FF3300.  So very yellow/golden for amber, and nearly red but definitely orange for red-orange.

retrousse