fiduciary

Author Topic: The Flashgun Challenge  (Read 14196 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: The Flashgun Challenge
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »
Question for my fellow challengees (or, y'know, anyone who wants to answer): What is the process of getting custom MHS pieces from TCSS like? I'm interested in what the order process is like, how much time it takes, how much info and how detailed does the design have to be (hand scribbled drawing? CAD file?) Are there peak times to get it done? That sort of thing.

Normally, I would just buy a stock part and modify it myself, but this time, the kind of modification I'm thinking of would really require some custom milling work, and that's just way beyond what I have access to.
Better late than never.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
Question for my fellow challengees (or, y'know, anyone who wants to answer): What is the process of getting custom MHS pieces from TCSS like? I'm interested in what the order process is like, how much time it takes, how much info and how detailed does the design have to be (hand scribbled drawing? CAD file?) Are there peak times to get it done? That sort of thing.

Normally, I would just buy a stock part and modify it myself, but this time, the kind of modification I'm thinking of would really require some custom milling work, and that's just way beyond what I have access to.

Your best bet would be sketch out what you’re looking for, as accurately as you can then email it to Tim, who then could answer all the fun questions like how much, how long. He’ll likely send you a cad sketch of what the finished product would look like before actually cutting metal. It’s not a painful process by any means.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »
Started on mine today :angel: had some free time to figure a few bits out and the general direction I'm taking it.
It went far to easy so it's a guarantee there be a problem when it comes to putting all the parts together   :cry:   :laugh:
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »
Your best bet would be sketch out what you’re looking for, as accurately as you can then email it to Tim, who then could answer all the fun questions like how much, how long. He’ll likely send you a cad sketch of what the finished product would look like before actually cutting metal. It’s not a painful process by any means.

Oh, I didn't expect it to be a painful process (well, maybe on my bank balance.) Just the usual first timer's uncertainty, you know? Thanks for the input, anyway, I'll drop TCSS an email next week sometime.
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2020, 04:01:56 AM »
Okay, second daft question: Does anyone know of any Graflex replica parts (red button thumbscrew and brass pins, specifically) with metric threads?
Better late than never.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
As far as I know they all have the same thread that came on the original flash guns.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 04:21:58 PM »
...Well, I'm glad we set the deadline to October, can't do anything now that I've lost access to half my tools. Blasted coronavirus lockdown.
Better late than never.

Offline null

• No Force
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:52 PM »
And seeing I’m now unemployed... I’ve lost the extra cash to pick up parts! I did manage to grab a off-brand flash cell before all this chaos but for the rest of the parts I’m truly gonna be experiencing what a “found parts” saber is.

Stay healthy friends!

- Steve
Thank you George Lucas for starting it all...

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2020, 09:31:02 AM »
Hows everyone going, much progress?

I've got my chassis and blade holder made now. Just a case of getting the bits and bobs to make it all work.  :azn:

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2020, 09:49:32 AM »
Oops, I almost forgot about this. Yoda and K-2SO mentioned this to me a while back, and asked me If I would handle this for them.
I agreed to run this after I finish with the TCSS contest.

I will be posting entry details later this summer.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:51:27 AM by Forgetful Jedi Knight »

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2020, 10:48:56 AM »
Hows everyone going, much progress?

I've got my chassis and blade holder made now. Just a case of getting the bits and bobs to make it all work.  :azn:

I won't lie, I've been a lot slower going than I was planing. Part of it was TCSS's latest stock shortage (now resolved, my order is on its way!) but for the most part the COVID lockdown threw a huge wrench in my workflow. My hackspace had to shut down, so I lost access to a lot of the tools (3D printer, laser cutter, vinyl cutter, etc) that have become must haves for my build process. But I've slowly been acquiring parts, and as the lockdown has wound down, I can get back to work again.

On the plus side, the lockdown gave me a lot of time to work on both my entries' designs. I have an annoying suspicion that my best design of the two is going to be stretching the rules of the contest a bit too far to be able to run, and my other design is a bit too generic, but I'll burn that bridge when I cross it.
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »
What else is new, I'm behind!!

But I do have all the parts I need. Just no time to assemble lol

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2020, 01:56:20 AM »
I'm still in.  I usually have enough raw stock on hand, but I'll double check.  I suppose I should get moving, since that deadline ain't gettin any closer.  Tally-ho!

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2020, 07:52:17 PM »
Havent started but I am still in.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2020, 06:57:11 AM »
I haven’t started yet, but still in. Still targeting October?

retrousse