fiduciary

Author Topic: Gemini Concepts Presents: Falcon's Converted Parks’ Obi-Wan TPM Hilt (US2.5)  (Read 5899 times)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
In early September, Falcon approached us about converting his Park's Obi-Wan hilt.

Specifications were:
leave blade as a 3/4"
add a US2.5,
no visible sound holes,
recharge port where the old button was

We talked about a LUX V for a while, but with all the HFX conversions we were doing, I started noticing how much of a nicer blue the P4's were. Also given the confines of space inside the hilt, the battery set-up would have been a lot easier.

Falcon agreed and off to work we went.

We started by boring out the original 3/4" blade holder to accommodate the P4, lens, lens-holder and heat-sink. This worked well and gave us the extra 1" or so of space to use in the hilt while still keeping the 3/4" blade holder a depth of 2".

Next was drilling holes in the grips to allow sound to vent from in between the black and chrome of the grips, ....I personally had nightmares of screwing this part up, ...so many, ...many, MANY measurements were taken before the first holes were drilled.

After that it was a pretty simple install, the next hurdle came with the tactile switch. Since it would need to be removed for it battery replacement, (hopefully in 4 or more years), I didn't just want to putty it permanently in place. So using a piece of plastic, (the same material we use to isolate the soundboard from the hilt, we made a placard for the tactile to be glued to, then trimmed it to fit in between the recharge port and speaker and added a few dabs of hot glue to ensure the whole piece stays put, but can still be removed if needed. Works really well, ...hasn't budged one bit and I been spinning this and playing with like a wookie would!

The battery setup is a single trustfire 3.7v and seems to be working pretty well with the soundboard, (Thanks for the tip FenderBender, most appreciated).
Run times are pretty good, best guess is that I have had it on for about 45 minutes, (intermittently) and still have not had to recharge it.

The setting on the board for the LED is the basic Luxeon III LED, ...I tried the LUX III Overdrive, but really didn't notice much difference, ...and besides, ...I like to "play it safe" with P4s, not really a need to overdrive them anyways.

The blue blade on this hilt is stunning. The slim feel of it, the weight, the look, Parks knew what he was doing when he made this hilt!

Mirror Shots!

Custom Gemini Concepts' blade plug

Recharge port and power button

Falcon, thanks for your patience with this, this was a most enjoyable conversion! We hope you like it.

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
Thank you, Falcon.  This was a pleasure and it's always great to work on something new!  Hope you enjoy!   ;)

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
truly amazing piece of art :o great job sir!

MTFBWY
Praise be the order brought forth from the very edge of chaos.

There is only one return. And it's not of the King, it's of the JEDI

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
Very nicely done guys!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
Two Snaps up in a Circle!!  MMM-HMMM!

Very nicely done Gentlemen!  Love the custom hilt plug. Have I missed this little accessory before?

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
Very nicely done Gentlemen!  Love the custom hilt plug. Have I missed this little accessory before?

Relatively new, I guess.... we've included them in the last 5 sabers or so.

Thanks!

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts

Relatively new, I guess.... we've included them in the last 5 sabers or so.

Thanks!

*sigh* I knew it. Now I'm going back to your last five threads for more squeaking...

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline Falcon

• Force User
  • Remember no matter where you go,. there you are...
Thanks Chewbacca and Master Jedye,

What can I say that isn't being said in the posts already! Its beautiful!!! LOUD and BRIGHT!! It appears untouched except for the inconspicious recharge and activation switches.

Can't wait to handle it :o... ;D ;D

Thanks again

Falcon

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
Ohhh. i like it... ;) :D :D Why wouldn't I? ;D

Congrats falcon, they don't much cooler than this.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
Another WIN for GC! 

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
Very nice fellas :)

Gotta give the Obi TPMs some lovin'.  8)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Thanks you all for the kinda words, it was a fun build.

Falcon, I think you'll enjoy this very much, ...I dont think it is much heavier than when you sent it, ..... prolly not even notieceable, other than its polished, ....so it may be a little slippery, ..LOL

Offline Falcon

• Force User
  • Remember no matter where you go,. there you are...
Got the saber and have been playing with it for a few days..Wow this is really cool!! I'm an old kid with a new toy. Thanks again!   

Gotta love the attention to detail and style that was given to my saber. Even the kill key is awesome...it matches the saber's bicycle valve.

I haven't charged it yet and its still going strong. The US 2.5 is worth the money...the sounds are well done and loud :o :o ;D ;D

Falcon
PS will be saving up money for the next idea!

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
I take that this is a differend messurement  compared to he new release OWK1?

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
I take that this is a differend messurement  compared to he new release OWK1?
yes, big difference

retrousse