fiduciary

Author Topic: My Anakin AOTC FX Lightsaber Review  (Read 14271 times)

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
My Anakin AOTC FX Lightsaber Review
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
"Not again!"  "Obi-Wan's gonna kill me."

Anakin Skywalker said those words after he saw that his lightsaber had been cut in half before being captured in the droid factory on Geonosis.  Thus begins my review of the Anakin Skywalker AOTC FX Lightsaber.

The Box:
Score: 8/10

The box for this lightsaber is quite a bit bigger (as far as thickness goes) and a little longer than your latest generation of FX lightsabers (see pictures below).  Which is understandable due to the size of the saber since it was the first one ever made.  Upon opening the box you see a styrafoam insert that completely covers the lightsaber.  Where unlike the newer inserts you can see the saber when you open the box.  The saber like the newer ones is protected in the box but not as I guess secure as the newer ones.

The Hilt:
Score: 5/10

After rexamining the hilt now that I have it, I can see it's not much bigger than the Anakin ROTS length wise... maybe a hair longer but it's definitely thicker than the Anakin ROTS.  The battery compartement is definitely the worst design I've seen, despite the fact that it's MR's first FX Lightsaber.  The saber feels a bit off balance when holding it since most of the weight seems to be towards the blade like the single Maul.

The Blade:
Score: 8/10

I definitely remember this lightsaber being an EL (Electro-Luminescent) blade.  Back when this saber first came out and I bought one I thought it was the coolest thing ever despite the fact it had an EL blade.  The only thing I don't like about it is you can see a strip right down the middle of the blade where the EL sheet meets.  Another thing I remember about this Lightsaber when I had two of them previously was the fact that the motion sensor was in the clear tip and it popped off pretty easily if you dueled with the lightsaber.

Though it maybe my batteries but I don't quite remember the blade being this dull before.

The Sound:
Score: 4/10

When I fired up the saber the sounds on mine are pretty low.  I don't quite remember them being as low as they are... again it might be my batteries but I don't know.  I'll ask a quesiton about this in my final thoughts.  Over all it's the typical Jedi sounds so this is definitely a lower rating.

Over All Rating:
Score: 5/10

Maybe just mine has been used I don't know... but all I do know is despite it being MR's first FX saber I am kind of disappointed in it.  I will have to buy some better batteries to see if maybe that might brighten the blade and make the sounds louder.  I do wish that MR could re-release this with current electronics and the 64 LED blade.  That would make it so much better.

Anakin is the sounds on your AOTC pretty muffled?  I swear I don't remember them being that muffled before...

By the way mine is the same "model" as Anakin's as it has the rubber o-ring where the bottom hilt is when you unscrew it.  Anyways onto the pictures...

The Box:

Clicky For Larger Picture

Box Size Compared To Anakin ROTS:

Clicky For Larger Pic

Clicky For Larger Pic

The Lightsaber Itself:

Compared To Anakin ROTS FX Lightsaber:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:46:49 PM by BigT1981 »

Offline QUINLAN VOS

• Formerly known as Acampa
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Feel the Force
Re: My Anakin AOTC FX Lightsaber Review (Coming Soon)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:32:26 PM »
very nice.  How much did you get it for?
"Two Morgukai against one wounded Jedi? Seems unfair. Would it help if I closed my eyes?"
―Quinlan Vos

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:42:01 PM »
$138 shipped.  $12 something for shipping.  I was pretty lucky to snag this one.

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »
Good price, but is it in good shape? Alot of people advertise in great condition and end up getting duped. However, there are alot of good sabersmiths on this site that may be able to fix it if there is an issue. And they are very good.

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline QUINLAN VOS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Feel the Force
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
Yes thats a good price indeed.  Especially for a saber thats been out of production for that long.  Hopefully its in good condition
"Two Morgukai against one wounded Jedi? Seems unfair. Would it help if I closed my eyes?"
―Quinlan Vos

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
From the description the seller said it was a display unit inside an enclosed case at a collectors shop.  He's got perfect feedback and high rating (close to 200) so I am pretty sure he's telling the truth on that.  If it was a display unit (which I do think it was) then it should be in perfect working order.

Offline QUINLAN VOS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Feel the Force
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:04:15 PM »
you should be good my friend.  Looking forward to the review
―Quinlan Vos

Offline QUINLAN VOS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Feel the Force
Re: My Anakin AOTC FX Lightsaber Review
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:46:58 PM »
STUPID FORUM! GAH!

I need help... I keep trying to post my review and it won't let me post it.  It keeps giving me this xxx annoying error... Someone help... please..

Same thing happened to me last ngiht.

if its long, Try posting half of it.

then after you posted, try to  mod it and add the other half.

it worked for me
―Quinlan Vos

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »
Actually I got it to work so all is well... stupid thing...

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 05:22:47 PM »
Yes the saber is VERY quiet...it being an early design is the reason the sound is so muffled. Don't worry, it's normal and I am pretty sure that it isn't your batteries either. I have brand new Duracells in mine and the blade is very dim compaired to my other sabers too. Not to mention quiet as well.

That's interesting that the motion sensor is in the tip, I wasn't aware of that. Mine has numerous scuffs on the blade so I know that mines been dueled with alot. But despite that, it still works perfectly. Now while my hilt doesn't have the original stickers on it like yours, it is in really nice shape and the box is practiaclly mint along with all the paper work too.

I wasn't disapointed with mine at all. If you get tired of owning it, well....let me know, I will gladly own a second one. ;D

Nice review, BTW.  ;)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Yes the saber is VERY quiet...it being an early design is the reason the sound is so muffled. Don't worry, it's normal and I am pretty sure that it isn't your batteries either. I have brand new Duracells in mine and the blade is very dim compaired to my other sabers too. Not to mention quiet as well.

Ahhh good to know it's not me then. 

That's interesting that the motion sensor is in the tip, I wasn't aware of that. Mine has numerous scuffs on the blade so I know that mines been dueled with alot. But despite that, it still works perfectly. Now while my hilt doesn't have the original stickers on it like yours, it is in really nice shape and the box is practiaclly mint along with all the paper work too.

Ya I was surprised the stickers were on it.  Mine had the paper work as well.  It's funny I barely touched that sticker and it fell off so I just threw it away lol.  Ya mine's in pretty nice shape as well, definitely a collectible.

I wasn't disapointed with mine at all. If you get tired of owning it, well....let me know, I will gladly own a second one. ;D

Ha ha, nice try but nah... I'll keep it.  It is nice to have the first FX saber I ever owned back into my collection again.

Nice review, BTW.  ;)
-Joclad

Thanks! :)  Expect a review for my Obi-Wan saber tomorrow.  ;D

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:24:41 PM »
good review, good pics

i look forward to the obi review

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Jedi Tom

• Padawan Learner
  • Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker is.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 05:08:46 PM »
Nice review man that was awesome
 ;D

Jedi_King

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
Real good review.Have fun with your lightsaber.

Offline QUINLAN VOS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Feel the Force
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 05:16:37 PM »
wow i though it was BIGGER then the ani.  it looks a tiny bit smaller.  I may have to get this saber ;D
―Quinlan Vos

retrousse