fiduciary

Author Topic: Plecter Labs Update?  (Read 708 times)

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • "I See You Have Constructed a New Lightsaber"
    • Illuminated Saber Design and Concepts
Plecter Labs Update?
« on: March 15, 2022, 12:47:41 PM »
Hey all,

Wondering if Erv, or anyone else can give an update regarding Plecter Labs products.  Been a faithful user and installer of his products over the years.  TCSS doesn't have anything in stock.  Is this a result of chip shortages?  Maybe pulling back from the game (I hope not)?  If not, any new products in the pipeline.

Anyways, any updates would be good as I am getting back to producing some sabers this summer and need to settle on a soundboard solution.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan 

Offline ViperR

• Padawan Learner
  • Hey all
Re: Plecter Labs Update?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 01:39:33 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. I want to try a simple & tiny Pico Crumble in a 1" I.D. battle hilt to add some sound and FOC. But, anything Plector is out of stock.
I'd go on TCSS site and either ask a question via email, or join their forum where you will get a quick response and other members will see your question and wonder the same.
Or, contact Erv at Plector and see if he replies.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 01:42:35 PM »
Most likely there have been chip shortages. I’m pretty sure there should be some stock soon-ish. Plecter Labs isn’t going anywhere.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline ViperR

• Padawan Learner
  • Hey all
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 01:41:12 PM »
Maybe consider the Golden Harvest v3 Phase4 by SaberTech that is in stock at TCSS. It's around the same price as the plain Jane Pico Crumble ($50 range), but has features around the same as Plector's CFX v10. I made two sabers with the CFX & Neo-Pixel combo and decided to give the GHv3 a try on my latest build, since it was close to half the price and also wanted to try a Tri-Cree RGB instead of the more expensive Neo-Pixels. Couldn't be happier with that build choice and sound fonts included with the CFX and ones from Madcow drop right in without having to change a lot of files or renaming.
Something to consider.

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 02:00:30 PM »
Maybe consider the Golden Harvest v3 Phase4 by SaberTech that is in stock at TCSS. It's around the same price as the plain Jane Pico Crumble ($50 range), but has features around the same as Plector's CFX v10. I made two sabers with the CFX & Neo-Pixel combo and decided to give the GHv3 a try on my latest build, since it was close to half the price and also wanted to try a Tri-Cree RGB instead of the more expensive Neo-Pixels. Couldn't be happier with that build choice and sound fonts included with the CFX and ones from Madcow drop right in without having to change a lot of files or renaming.
Something to consider.

Yes, I did purchase a Golden Harvest and am going to try it out on a Graflex build that is on my bench right now.   It's nice to have options.  I have been in the saber building game for over 20 years, so I remember the days of "no sound."     (Made my first hardware store graflex with a plasma blade in 1999)

If Erv is still in the game, I would love to see him create a new Entry Level board, as, TBH the Nano Biscotte is a bit obsolete with its features at its price point.   However, nothing beats the Nano in simplicity and ease of install. 

Thanks!

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 02:49:33 PM »
In my opinion, given the way the market currently is, I don’t especially see that happening.

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 08:28:05 AM »
In my opinion, given the way the market currently is, I don’t especially see that happening.

That may be, so.  But given the legacy of Plecter Labs, it would be a bit disappointing to not see Erv continuing to advance the tech.  If the relationship with TCSS remains strong there will always be a strong market for his boards IMO. 

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 04:15:51 PM »
CFX is getting advances all the time. 

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 06:29:39 PM »

Of course it is, but that isn't my point.   If you look at the Nano Biscotte it has gone through 4 generations.  Each generation grew with new additions and tech.  I would like the entry board level to keep advancing, like the Crystal Focus line.  Either a new entry level board of a new generation (i.e. Nano Biscotte v5).  Being a builder, most of my clientele love the entry level boards because of their price point.  I like the ease of install, but I would love to see some new features.  That's my point.   I prefer Plecter Labs to all the competition.  Been the most reliable boards in my experience. 

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 03:15:22 PM »
I would guess that based on reduction in size and price point of cfx, the gap wasn’t big enough to continue having multiple boards.   Before the chip shortage, it was only 30 bucks more than the NB and not much larger. 

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 08:59:26 PM »

Of course it is, but that isn't my point.   If you look at the Nano Biscotte it has gone through 4 generations.  Each generation grew with new additions and tech.  I would like the entry board level to keep advancing, like the Crystal Focus line.  Either a new entry level board of a new generation (i.e. Nano Biscotte v5).  Being a builder, most of my clientele love the entry level boards because of their price point.  I like the ease of install, but I would love to see some new features.  That's my point.   I prefer Plecter Labs to all the competition.  Been the most reliable boards in my experience.

Entry level means just that. A beginning. A basic beginning. Just basic functions.

Yes, the NB went through 4 generations, but by generation #4, it went way beyond what it was initially designed to be and do. It wasn’t given all of the features of a CF because it was an entry level board. Everyone wants Neopixel and all of the pretty flashing lights and tons of functions, and easily updatable, and there is A (one) board that does all of that - and that is the board that gets all off the developmental attention.

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 07:11:18 AM »

Entry level means just that. A beginning. A basic beginning. Just basic functions.

Yes, the NB went through 4 generations, but by generation #4, it went way beyond what it was initially designed to be and do. It wasn’t given all of the features of a CF because it was an entry level board. Everyone wants Neopixel and all of the pretty flashing lights and tons of functions, and easily updatable, and there is A (one) board that does all of that - and that is the board that gets all off the developmental attention.

I would beg to differ on the philosophy.  Not everyone wants all the bells and whistles.  Some just want a more basic saber experience (and may I venture that most do).  I am a guitarist and there is a similar phenomenon going on in the amplifier world.  People are really starting to gravitate toward basic functioning rather than a digital amp with menu after menu of options.  By concentrating on really getting the heart of the amp sounds done well, with plug and play functioning being the goal, many of these new brands of amps have become some of the best selling amps of all time because of their high quality of sounds and basic user interface.   

I am fine with keeping the Nano as an entry board and not developing it further, but it wouldn't be a stretch to add a couple features to keep it competitive with the new "entry level" boards.   Primarily all that would need to be added is a board  that has Smooth Swing and an Aux switch.  Other "entry level" boards have these options.  Don't see why the best in the business couldn't.  I would think a new Nano could fit the bill here.  If the Verso can, I am willing to bet the Nano could.

Anyways, food for thought.  Would love to Erv's thoughts on it. 

Offline ViperR

• Padawan Learner
  • Hey all
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 06:06:41 AM »
TCSS has CFX v10 boards back in stock as of yesterday. Price went up though to $95.

retrousse