fiduciary

Author Topic: Voting / Rating System for SaberFont.com Sound Fonts...  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
Voting / Rating System for SaberFont.com Sound Fonts...
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:35 AM »
It's been suggested to me about a dozen times total over the past few months, so... I figured I might as well open a thread about it.
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
Re: Voting / Rating System for SaberFont.com Sound Fonts...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:40:40 AM »
Oh yes, I think that would be SUPER HELPFUL.

I'm all for it. You got the first YES vote from me.

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:44 AM »
Yeah for sure, that's always a good thing :)

Offline Deke

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:38:30 AM »
Can I suggest that voting/rating would be part of a bit of an overhaul of saberfont.com...

Basically, to allow people to vote, you'd want them to have registered, to stop people spamming/abusing the vote system. In a perfect world you'd want to have some way to check they'd bought the font too, but that's even more complex. Anyway, if you're registering users, it would be an ideal time to fix the whole download cart mess. Currently when you buy a font, you download it then and there, or you've lost it. Purchases should be tracked and tied to your account, so you can re-download in the future should you lose them for whatever reason. Which then ties back into the earlier part about tracking votes etc.

I know this answer is way out of the scope of what you asked, but theres that old saying about if you're going to do a job, do it right...

I know its all a work in progress and I think everyone appreciates the work that has been put into it, just my 2c...

Offline SithStalker

• Keeper of the red blade
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:41:38 AM »
Great idea!  ;)

Haha... Well, it's a fool's errand, boy. The Emperor's army is infinite. You'll eventually be killed... or worse... and nothing will have changed.

Offline cordaroyfog

• Master Force User
  • Just your friendly neighborhood Fog...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:19:39 AM »
Honestly not sure if it actually adds anything, the feedback part might I suppose, just for the fontsmiths to get for future alteration or input. The rating systems seems somewhat useless unless I'm missing something.

It's not like the product is a book that people need to hear if it's worth reading before buying it. There is such a large sampling of almost all the sound fonts available through various clips, previews, and videos other people post.

If I was interested in a font I would listen to the preview and look at other peoples videos, not look at a rating.

I can't see a situation where the rating would change someones mind towards either buying the font or not, honestly.
Who would buy a font just based on others ratings without listening? And if they listened and liked it, but then saw the rating, would it dissuade them?

So it just seems like a situation where either peoples feelings will be hurt, or every font will have a great rating, either way it doesn't seem to add anything to the process.

A comment section on the other hand could be useful such as, "font sounds a little raspy on a _____ speaker in (configuration)." That stuff could be helpful.

If I'm missing something please point it out, thats just how it seems to me atm.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »
All comments on the subject are valid!  Well, ok... helpful ones, heheh...

So... yeah--the point of this thread is to hear people saying "Yes, because _______" and yet also "NO, because ______"

So... yup--being for or against this:

A) Is good, either way
B) Won't guarantee/force anything to change
C) Doesn't delve into the logistics/costs/technical aspects of how or if it would be implemented

Again--this thread is NOT some kind of guarantee of ANYthing... it's just to see what people THINK.  :)  And hopefully not just people on the sidelines--people who have purchased and who have enjoyed sound fonts and CF, PC, etc. and all that...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline JediSortek

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
I like the idea and can see the use of a feedback section, not so much on the use for a rating.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
Did this ever happen, btw?  :)

I have no idea, since... I'm too busy MAKING the fonts--I rarely can even "look" at the site, if that makes any sense...

Click here.

retrousse