fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul is back (Officially)  (Read 52826 times)

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
Re: Darth Maul is back (Officially)
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »
Movie: they filmed the funeral and the procession after the fight before the fight. The prop was on his belt.

Reality: he freaking lost that thing down a shaft.

YAY MOVIES!

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
There seems to be a collectible statue of the post-TPM Darth Maul as he is depicted in the "Old Wounds" story in the "Visionaries" comic strip :

:o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I have to say though, the cyborg Maul has one seriously sweet saber staff.  I'd love to see that one in production.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline vargose

• Force User
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
I loved the Visionaries comic. I hope Darth Maul looks exactly like that. All Grevious has left is organs. So its perfectly acceptable to me for Darth Maul to have survived. He was an awesome character. I always felt he should have been in the other two prequal episodes.

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
it could be done.  there's room for another meant-to-be-killed-by-obiwan 'villian' in ROTS.   grievous.

what the heck is he anyways?  half droid, half ..  maul?  

and why is he so "grievous"?  perhaps he was (nearly) killed by obiwan, and then, came back for more?

THAT would be a great story.

--> THATs how you bring back Darth Maul :   tell the story of how he was turned into Grievous.  include saga-relevant plot points, like the one where cyborgs are less force-sensitive than they were before they 'died' -- this would explain why vader had less control of the force, once his body became half-machine (which was touched on somewhere in the EU, although I must admit, I'm not sure where).   that would be an awesome backstory.  it would make BOTH grievous AND Maul more 'relevant' as characters;  together, as one character, they would be Obi-wan's personal nemesis. the tragedy of the character would be, the Cost of Revenge.  also, if Maul had been somehow 'salvaged' and turned into the grievous cyborg, then this would foreshadow anakin's fate, when he gets turned into a cyborg himself at the end of ROTS -- it would show how palpatine doesn't let his apprentice die, he'll turn you into a cyborg first, and you will serve him even after 'death'..  (which drives home the idea of how anakin "died" and was replaced by vader, so old Ben WAS right, from a certain point of view.   this could all be reinforced, if Maul was really the Grievous cyborg) ..and Maul would have a purpose now:  to foreshadow vader's fate.  

it could be done ;)

it wouldn't even change the movies in any way.   Maul is still Maul; he still gets cut in half.   Grievous is still grievous, he still coughs and gets shot in the chest.  

--> just insert a flashback episode between ep1 and ep2, where Maul gets rescued/resurrected and stuck into a hideous android body, because palps won't give up his pet project.  he'd be like robocop...  but the SIth Version of robocop. ;)

every character needs a backstory, afterall :  this is how I've always imagined Grievous anyways -- he's the resurrected corpse of DArth MAul.  

they both had the same "Purpose" : they were cannon fodder for obiwan's lightsaber  :-\  (they might as well be the same character).

Wedge, can I just say that this whole "Grievous is Maul" thing was my big theory for where he came from? Its also why I figured he had the yellow eyes, and seemed to enjoy killing the Jedi so much, and collecting their lightsabers. Also, we all know Maul was a "the more blades, the better" type of guy. That would also help explain the whole 4 lightsabers thing that Grievous used.

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Formerly known as forcepractitioner
  • Master Force User
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »
......but the problem with this theory (apart from the fact that it since has  been confirmed and established that Grievous was a Kaleesh warrior before his accident, and not a Zabrak) is that (when seen on various close ups in the Episode 3) the eye structure of Grievous (especially the shape of the pupil) and its skin (brownish tint with speckles) aren't those of a Zabrak, and in any case certainly not those of Darth Maul...  ;) :)

Offline LadySythe

• Master Force User
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2011, 05:37:14 PM »
I'm not going to wade through 7 plus pages.

I'm a serious Darth Maul fan. Im even a member of the Darth Maul Estrogen Brigade. We've accepted that Maul was split in half and plunged into the deeps of the Theed power generator. I was disgusted when they did that Else Worlds Cyber Maul. And I am cringing at the sight of how they made him look.

See, I'm one of those women who...well, think Darth Maul is friggin HHOOTT lol I've even had to the pleasure of meeting Ray Park, and in all my Sith costumes, I have his nose diamond design either painted on my face and it's on my mask sculpted from Sculpy. I collect almost anything Darth Maul (you should have seen my collection before my ex best friend stole 75% of it, them my mom flake on our storage unit  >:() and I write fan fiction where he's a supporting character majority of the time. I've always held the thought that Maul could have survived - he's Zabrak who have mental abilities, stubborn, gifted in the Force and extremely determined to never fail. Failure would mean death. He could have been able to get himself rescued. But then again, I believe he was only hit - not bisected, in the mid section like was in the novel adaptation of TPM.

Anyway, imho, they should leave Maul to us fan fic writers and should never has brought in the Maul wanna-be. There is only one Darth Maul.

BUT I'll watch it out of curiousity.

I hate those tree branch horns they stuck on him...
ATTENTION: I will be leaving my Moderator status. Please do not pm me regarding this matter

MR Sabers: Dual Darth Maul 2006 **stolen** :'(
Grayven "Original"
"The Chosen" by Ben Kenobi
Static RLSA "Nameless" (gift from Vosk)

Offline LordMalgus

• No Force
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2011, 05:59:53 PM »
I agree with Shaak Ti regarding the pure dark awesomeness that is Darth Maul, well everything except the Hot part ;D.  BUT.... it depends on how he comes back.  If it is lame than Im going to just assume it is about $$$$$ and marketing.....nothing else.  Going to be tough to do....I mean he looked pretty done to me that last time I saw him (both parts of him)......
"You were deceived. And now, your Republic shall fall."

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »
This entire thread reminds me of why I.......ahem enjoy watching STNG much better than SW.  STNG had some issues but overall it was great story telling.

One example.  Look at how they continued to develop the character of Data.  Brent ended up playing four different characters of himself AND pulled it off masterfully.

The whole storyline of LORE became a fan favorite.

They killed off Tashia Yar in the first season yet brought her back in another fan favorite, Yesterdays Enterprise.

Every time they could have "jumped the shark" they end up creating a fan favorite.

STNG lacked big budget effects yet has great story telling and wins out because of it.

Star Wars lacks character development and just goes for big budget effects and a loose story.  The OT had a great story to it. And even the entire series has a great story of Anakin and his fall and redemption.  That is where it ends though.  They should have tapped more into personal characters and the overall traits of humanity.

Please be gentle in your abuse to me.  Could I ask you to at least set your phasers to stun?   :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:53:19 PM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
I generally agree with Luke on this front; STNG does a great job of story telling, and generally makes decent social comentary, and while it shot itself in the foot with some of the movies (especially with proto-data of ST Nemesis).  The episode "tapestry" is perhaps the finest example of the story and character development.

ST reminds me of Bradbury, and Asimov reminds me of SW; ST and Ray tell great stories, in which the science is the vehicle and the story is the point, while SW and Issac have ok to good stories/characters, with iconic bits (Law of Robotics and Lightsabers), yet the story seems secondary at times.  Sweeping generalizations, I know, yet it's merely my opinion. 

No, I don't own ST memorabilia.
Yes, I own lots of SW memorabilia.

And back to the thread, they ought to have left Maul dead.  Pointless, unnecessary, and pointless; wasn't Savage Oppress enough of a back-hand to the community?  So many more directions to explore- why dig this up?

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »

No, I don't own ST memorabilia.
Yes, I own lots of SW memorabilia.

+1   ;)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »
Agreed,  LUKE. ST:TNG is still my favorite ST series.  I personally loved the way they worked old characters from TOS into the "present time frame," as well.  Like when they discovered Captain Scott "stored" inside a transporter buffer on the U.S.S Jenolan. ;)

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »

Please be gentle in your abuse to me.  Could I ask you to at least set your phasers to stun?   :D

Lightsabers have no 'stun' setting muahahaha!

Seriously though I do like ST and you make a valid point that characterization in SW has sometimes been lacking...imo it comes down to GL being a very good 'Worlds-smith' with a strong sense of 'Myth-making' but not so great on the more 'human' aspects of storytelling like certain emotions and serious deficiencies in writing dialogue. ST benefitted from having multiple writers who could cover individual deficiencies whereas GL by not really wanting to create collaboratively did SW no favours from ROTJ on. Sadly he has now declined further into 'fan service' with this.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
I, and many others, blame the lack of Marcia.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2011, 01:48:10 AM »
I missed something. I thought that in the Emperor's love for cloning he might have cloned Maul. Was this confirmed that he is part cyborg?

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »
@Luke:  ST? Really?  I don't even know you anymore.

Lol, just kidding, I was a pretty big TNG fan back in the day.  My roommate is a BIG TNG fan, and so we habe the contant SW vs ST debate.  You are NOT alone.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

retrousse