fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul is back (Officially)  (Read 52362 times)

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
  • I gots BAD frostbite on Hoth.
    • Lightsabers with GV
Re: Darth Maul is back (Officially)
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
If maul is coming back this is what I'd like to see.

First off, an honest to goodness special edition.  Dont add a wamprat here and there.  Reshoot key scenes. Let Obi wan wound maul but instead let maul escape down the shaft.  He could then reemerge to fight in the other prequels.

At the same time edit out 85% of jar jar and we'd have a truly precious prequel worthy of the saga.

But not this way.
Then what about Dooku in AOTC and ROTS?

GV

Offline Big Boss

• Formerly known as phophjoph
  • Master Force User
  • there is only room for one Snake and one Big Boss
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
All your opinions are well said and good. I just want maul to come back since he was such a cool and unknown character like boba fett ,but the thing that bugs me the most is if they were going to bring maul back why in the heck do we need savage oppress? Wasn't he suppose to be the weak replacement for maul in the saga? So as i see it the sith are divided with palatine, dooku and grievous as one group Ventress with the nightsisters in another and then there is savage and maul. My guess is Maul is going to take savage on as his apprentice that way maul can get in the spotlight and train savage to use the dark side in a more controlled manner.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."-The Boss

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath"-Michael Caine

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
If maul is coming back this is what I'd like to see.

First off, an honest to goodness special edition.  Dont add a wamprat here and there.  Reshoot key scenes. Let Obi wan wound maul but instead let maul escape down the shaft.  He could then reemerge to fight in the other prequels.

At the same time edit out 85% of jar jar and we'd have a truly precious prequel worthy of the saga.

But not this way.
Then what about Dooku in AOTC and ROTS?

GV

Just make him an evil apprentice of Palp.  Maul is sith and  the sith in waiting.  Remove any verbiage pertaining to dolly being sith until yoda meets him.  Let maul have at least one more movie.  Better yet one and a half.  Kill him off at the last second. Or have a break away from the sith tradition of master and apprentice only.  You could even add that into a final battle scene where maul and dooku are their own undoing.

I'm sure there are other ways to change it up.  Better one than I have.  Either way they all would overshadow the rebirth of maul.  Half man..half..well....man.  Maybe they could beam him into the clone wars and beam his rear on backwards like President Screwb on Spaceballs.  :D. Honestly as crazy as that sounds if would fit right in with this rewriting of the story.  They really out to consider Suans Lucci as this years latest voice over.  I'm sure she could give the writers plenty of soap opera angles to bring people back from death.

It could be done.

Like I said before.  It doesn't really matter to me because the Clone Wars are not REALLY star Wars but just a silly cartoon.  I havent gone past season one yet by half.  ;D

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »
it could be done.  there's room for another meant-to-be-killed-by-obiwan 'villian' in ROTS.   grievous.

what the heck is he anyways?  half droid, half ..  maul?  

and why is he so "grievous"?  perhaps he was (nearly) killed by obiwan, and then, came back for more?

THAT would be a great story.

--> THATs how you bring back Darth Maul :   tell the story of how he was turned into Grievous.  include saga-relevant plot points, like the one where cyborgs are less force-sensitive than they were before they 'died' -- this would explain why vader had less control of the force, once his body became half-machine (which was touched on somewhere in the EU, although I must admit, I'm not sure where).   that would be an awesome backstory.  it would make BOTH grievous AND Maul more 'relevant' as characters;  together, as one character, they would be Obi-wan's personal nemesis. the tragedy of the character would be, the Cost of Revenge.  also, if Maul had been somehow 'salvaged' and turned into the grievous cyborg, then this would foreshadow anakin's fate, when he gets turned into a cyborg himself at the end of ROTS -- it would show how palpatine doesn't let his apprentice die, he'll turn you into a cyborg first, and you will serve him even after 'death'..  (which drives home the idea of how anakin "died" and was replaced by vader, so old Ben WAS right, from a certain point of view.   this could all be reinforced, if Maul was really the Grievous cyborg) ..and Maul would have a purpose now:  to foreshadow vader's fate.  

it could be done ;)

it wouldn't even change the movies in any way.   Maul is still Maul; he still gets cut in half.   Grievous is still grievous, he still coughs and gets shot in the chest.  

--> just insert a flashback episode between ep1 and ep2, where Maul gets rescued/resurrected and stuck into a hideous android body, because palps won't give up his pet project.  he'd be like robocop...  but the SIth Version of robocop. ;)

every character needs a backstory, afterall :  this is how I've always imagined Grievous anyways -- he's the resurrected corpse of DArth MAul.  

they both had the same "Purpose" : they were cannon fodder for obiwan's lightsaber  :-\  (they might as well be the same character).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:04:21 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 01:58:30 AM »
darth maul... general grievous .?...that dosent work for me, both have completely different speech patterns and although  grievous state's in ROTS that he was trained in the jedi arts by dooku and i suppose it might be possible that dooku could also have trained maul, lets not forget that dooku was quite aged, that theory would ignore the RULE OF TWO. who was it that said .. always two there are no more no less.? ;)

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Formerly known as forcepractitioner
  • Master Force User
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2011, 02:21:35 AM »
Yes, moreover Grievous' eyes are VERY different from those of Darth Maul. Even if we relish in speculation for the sake of it, and even if we put aside the known and established fact that Grievous was a Kaleesh warrior prior to his surgical reconstruction as a cyborg (cf the Visionaries comic - hence the tribal aspect of Grievous' mask), the hypothesis that Grievous could have been Darth Maul cannot stand : 1/the eye structure (the reptile-like form of its pupil) and the skin colour (a dark brown with tiny speckles, if I remember well), which are visible in the Episode 3 (in a climatic close up sequence), are not those of a Zabrak; 2/the cybernetic replacements of Grievous (including all his vital organs, but even his arms, his neck and possibly a large part of his head...etc) would not correspond to what Maul would have needed to be operational/viable again.  ;) :)

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
  • I gots BAD frostbite on Hoth.
    • Lightsabers with GV
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2011, 07:22:08 AM »
Yes, moreover Grievous' eyes are VERY different from those of Darth Maul. Even if we relish in speculation for the sake of it, and even if we put aside the known and established fact that Grievous was a Kaleesh warrior prior to his surgical reconstruction as a cyborg (cf the Visionaries comic - hence the tribal aspect of Grievous' mask), the hypothesis that Grievous could have been Darth Maul cannot stand : 1/the eye structure (the reptile-like form of its pupil) and the skin colour (a dark brown with tiny speckles, if I remember well), which are visible in the Episode 3 (in a climatic close up sequence), are not those of a Zabrak; 2/the cybernetic replacements of Grievous (including all his vital organs, but even his arms, his neck and possibly a large part of his head...etc) would not correspond to what Maul would have needed to be operational/viable again.  ;) :)
All of this is easily changed in, like LUKE said, a special addition.
GV

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »
Ah, yes, but you can't definitively say what Maul would've needed to have reconstructed.  We never saw where or how hard, he landed.  We don't know what was at the bottom, or what he hit before hitting bottom.  Erego, anything could've been damaged.  Those energy gates and couplers all over that reactor were pretty nasty work.  Who knows how many he came across on the way down.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 07:53:15 AM »
I can see it now.  star Wars has been reduced to a soap opera meets 80's B movie. 

Mando, TK, Jason Maul anyone?

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Master Force User
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
Ah, yes, but you can't definitively say what Maul would've needed to have reconstructed.  We never saw where or how hard, he landed.  We don't know what was at the bottom, or what he hit before hitting bottom.  Erego, anything could've been damaged.  Those energy gates and couplers all over that reactor were pretty nasty work.  Who knows how many he came across on the way down.

Well, yes, that's correct: you're right. We all know that all this is pure speculation. Judging by what is clearly seen in the film, yet, there are two obvious wounds: 1/a sliced body (right through the abdomen region, thus leaving the thorax - and the lungs and heart- intact); 2/a most probably broken neck (if I remember well, we see Maul's head hitting violently the wall of the shaft and causing him to bounce, while his two "parts" are falling).

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »
His arms are flailing about as he falls though.  Just sayin. 

Just watched the scene like 20 times on youtube.  it looks like his left shoulder hits the wall.  I could be wrong, but that's what I see. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:09:12 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »
Ya, it always looked to me like his neck stretched out in a weird way and his head sort of flopped around a little, but I always put that down to laziness in the animation department.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Wariwen

• Master Force User
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »
I can not find the physical text but Dont I remeber maul coming back to kill luke and obi shows him whats up one more time.  IN that scene he had mechanical legs? anyone else remeber which of the comics that came out of?

Please excuse my spelling, my level of excitement to post outweighs my ability to spell check =)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2011, 08:13:40 AM »
Maul went to tatooine to find obi and used luke to draw him out of hiding.  Don't remember which comic it was though.

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Master Force User
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
Yes, that's right, too... neck, spinal bone, arms and shoulders possibly broken, then...but a broken arm can be easily fixed..... Well we will settle that question by saying that in any case, what is for sure is that after such a tragic event, he was only half the man/Zabrak he used to be.  ;) :D

retrousse