fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul is back (Officially)  (Read 52401 times)

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
  • I gots BAD frostbite on Hoth.
    • Lightsabers with GV
Re: Darth Maul is back (Officially)
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
No offense here anyone, but you're all talking about the plausibility issues of bringing Darth Maul back.
Plausibility issues?

We're talking about a Science Fiction outer space action/adventure with lasers and spaceships and hyperspace and an army of clones, and an army of droids and a space station the size of a planet that can blow up planets, and mechanical people and a power that allows people to move things by raising their hand and speeders and giant slugs that talk and glowing sticks of plasma that chop things clean up and blasters and sound in space and...and...I think that's it.

Who cares about plausibiliy issues? Just bring Darth Maul back! Star Wars has lived off of non-plausibility for 34 years now. I'll admit, it was a mistake killing Maul in TPM, I would have much rather had Maul leading the droid army rather than Dooku...but it was not to be, and now they want to bring Maul back? I say go!

I think as Star Wars fans these days we are actually TRYING to find flaws in anything Star Wars related that comes out other than lightsabers. I don't think that's very fair. I like that they are bringing Maul back. He's one of my favorite SW characters of all time (and THOUSANDS of others as well) So this? This I don't mind.
One guys opinion. Just my .02

GV

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
    • Lightsabers with GV
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »
*Edited for no longer being relevant*

GV
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:40:56 PM by General Veers »

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »
*Edited for content.*
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:38:04 PM by Keil Edge »

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
 :D Maybe a Clone Darth Maul lol  :D

Offline Corran Horn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »
Honestly,

We DO seem to be looking for something to complain about on here sometimes.  Nothing will ever live up to the Star Wars we all grew up with and no one likes to have to get used to going to a new school.  But it's part of life.  We need to stop bickering like little children and take it for what it is....entertainment.

Times have changed, and in order for the story to continue to be viable to today's audience, it has to adapt.

(For the record, I'm just as concerned as the rest of you that this is going to be awful.  Now if you need me, I'll be in the corner sulking.   :P)

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
Im not so much concerned that Maul is back, it is Star Wars after all.

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force"
"The Darkside id a pathway to some things, some might consider to be unnatural"

Yadda yadda yadda.

Is it possible he is back, ya sure why not.

My concern is how they are going to pull it off. I just have no confidence. I shutter at the possibility of the child friendly Maul

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
    • Lightsabers with GV
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
Im not so much concerned that Maul is back, it is Star Wars after all.

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force"
"The Darkside id a pathway to some things, some might consider to be unnatural"

Yadda yadda yadda.

Is it possible he is back, ya sure why not.

My concern is how they are going to pull it off. I just have no confidence. I shutter at the possibility of the child friendly Maul
TPM was probably the most child-friendly Star Wars film. I doubt they'll change him much.
But don't take all my re assurance wrong. I'm concerned that they will totally ruin the Maul character that we love. I'm not concerned that they'll be bringing him back, I applaud that, I'm concerned about what they're going to do after they bring him back.

GV

Offline Jedi Exile

• Experienced Force User
  • I once wore the robes...
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
The term "Child friendly" and "Darth Maul" go together in the same sentence about as good as peanut butter and battery acid.  :-X
Member of the Lost 10

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
    • Lightsabers with GV
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
The term "Child friendly" and "Darth Maul" go together in the same sentence about as good as peanut butter and battery acid.  :-X
lol.....I don't really agree with you....but that just made my day.

GV

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »
Its not so much a matter of suspended belief as it is a matter of the same old gag over and over again. Throw in a popular character everyone likes regardless of the story to boost ratings and sales. We see right through it and it comes across as gimmicky.

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Formerly known as forcepractitioner
  • Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
Yes, I agree with what Grey Jedi said. It can be seen as a mere trick to revive a popular character, just for the sake of it being appealing to some fans. But I am still wondering what will be the narrative excuse/justification for doing so.... I would like the Star Wars storyline and Universe (including the so-called "expanded Universe") to be more coherent sometime.... :-\ I write scenarios for roleplaying games (as one of my numerous hobbies) and I personnaly cannot enjoy the plot of a fictional story when it is not plausible, that is to say when my mind cannot make any sense of it on logical grounds. For a perfect plot, reason and imagination must work together. And, once the "exotic" properties of a fictional universe are defined and taken for granted as a basis for our imagination, "plausibility" still has to be integrated as a way to give this universe an enjoyable degree of "realism" in virtue of certain narrative rules and logical constraints established within that original imaginary framework.....because else, everything quickly becomes purely and utterly arbitrary and nonsensical...  ;) :)

Offline Corran Horn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »
Wow. Very well said.  And may I also add, "Could someone get us a new thesaurus? Forcepractitioner just wore a hole through ours."

Lol.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »
This is getting out of hand. 

Let's look at perhaps the other most successful movie franchise around, Harry Potter.  Rowling seems to get it far more than Lucas ever did.

For one thing, there's the EU.  Personally, I think the Star Wars EU (really, fan fiction) is in general, very badly done.  Chaotic storylines crisscrossing everywhere immediately after the Battle of Endor are one thing, but do we really need to hear about the further further adventures of our heroes?  Sure, the EU licensing has made Lucas a bundle, but frankly, the entire universe is becoming hard to follow if you consider anything other than the six films to be canon, and even those are a little out of perfect continuity.  Really, the OT is what defines Star Wars for a lot of people.  Only the OT.  These other writers have vastly changed Lucas' universe, and not for the better, I'd have to say.  Cloning, Luke getting married, the Solo Children, Ahsoka - sure, people love these characters, but I think it's both laughable and pathetic at the same time.

Rowling, on the other hand, has steadfastly refused to allow anyone to write fan fiction - and as such, her story is her story, without any EU equivalent.  She has defined what she wanted her world to be, and as such, she can make her own rules.  There's a reason, though, that she has one of her main characters say, "No spell can awaken the dead," or something along those lines.  Dead is dead, and that means dead.  It also means world balance; if you think about it, no one would ever die.  Say your spouse dies; no problem, just go out and clone another one.  Bad speeder crash?  No problem!  It removes consequences from life - and to have death be permanent, well, that defines the world in the only way we know how to define it.

This is just another example of Lucas' foolishness, or greed.  Maul was cool, whatever, but now he's dead.  He should just stay dead - or else, there are a lot of unpleasant implications for Star Wars at large.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »
Clone Wars is not REAL Star Wars.  It's just a cartoon.  Hence Maul is not REALLY back.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:54:03 PM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline Corran Horn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
Well said my friend.

And well illustrated lol.