fiduciary

Author Topic: FX-SABERS Graflex 2011 DIY KIT (customer assistance and HELP topic)  (Read 33780 times)

Offline megagreg

• No Force
Re: FX-SABERS Graflex 2011 DIY KIT (customer assistance and HELP topic)
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
Thank you Luke - much obliged.

I didn't consider using the LED pads, but it might be interesting to use one (or both). This way I could show sleep vs. idle mode, etc.  Thanks for the help and tip

Best
Megagreg

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
Thank you Luke - much obliged.

I didn't consider using the LED pads, but it might be interesting to use one (or both). This way I could show sleep vs. idle mode, etc.  Thanks for the help and tip

Best
Megagreg

Your welcome Megagreg  :)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
Yes Luke is right, better to use the pads and have control over them with the config.
Also as Luke said the LEDs spec'd for the kit are able to be used with the accent pads with out resistors
as they are rated just above what the pad puts out and it runs them optimally in my experience. ;)

Offline megagreg

• No Force
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »
Good advice guys - I will consider switching my wiring in favor of the accent pads. The only drawback I see is the accent pads are either on or off and do not pick up the progressive brightness fluctuations that wiring to the main LED pad would (unless I missed something in the manual).

In other news -- and if you’ll indulge me for a second -- I’m now hooked on CoF. I’ve seen the videos, and I consider it a “must have” feature (I was trying to keep things simple, but oh well).

So before I go on an FX-Forum search-and-rescue-fact-finding-mission perhaps you can give me a little help / advice. Here’s what I know (or think I know) so far:
  • I’ll need to swap my Luxeon V for a LED Engin LZ4 10W RGBW (unless there’s a better LED out there for a main color of ANH blue / cyan with CoF or white - please advise)
  • I’ll need to swap my 2 TrustFire 14500 (900mAh, 3.7V) for 2 AW 18650 (3100mAh, 3.7V) -- better discharge rate, or so I’ve read.
  • I’ll need a Power Xtender board (already on order), and wire it up in accordance with the CF 5 manual

Now here is where I get lost:
  • To get ANH blue / cyan I should wire up the Blue and Green dice to the main LED output — but do I wire them in series or parallel? What is the best practice?
  • I don’t want a pink CoF, so I would wire the White dice to the Power Xtender, but what resistor would I need?
  • I would also need to define the amount of current going to the main LED via the LED parameter in the CF’s config file. I have no idea what I should set it to.
  • What is the best Lens to use with the LED Engin LZ4?

I’ll start my fact-finding mission tonight, but if anyone has answers / advice I’m much obliged.

all the best
Megagreg

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
Good advice guys - I will consider switching my wiring in favor of the accent pads. The only drawback I see is the accent pads are either on or off and do not pick up the progressive brightness fluctuations that wiring to the main LED pad would (unless I missed something in the manual).

In other news -- and if you’ll indulge me for a second -- I’m now hooked on CoF. I’ve seen the videos, and I consider it a “must have” feature (I was trying to keep things simple, but oh well).

So before I go on an FX-Forum search-and-rescue-fact-finding-mission perhaps you can give me a little help / advice. Here’s what I know (or think I know) so far:
  • I’ll need to swap my Luxeon V for a LED Engin LZ4 10W RGBW (unless there’s a better LED out there for a main color of ANH blue / cyan with CoF or white - please advise)
  • I’ll need to swap my 2 TrustFire 14500 (900mAh, 3.7V) for 2 AW 18650 (3100mAh, 3.7V) -- better discharge rate, or so I’ve read.
  • I’ll need a Power Xtender board (already on order), and wire it up in accordance with the CF 5 manual

Now here is where I get lost:
  • To get ANH blue / cyan I should wire up the Blue and Green dice to the main LED output — but do I wire them in series or parallel? What is the best practice?
  • I don’t want a pink CoF, so I would wire the White dice to the Power Xtender, but what resistor would I need?
  • I would also need to define the amount of current going to the main LED via the LED parameter in the CF’s config file. I have no idea what I should set it to.
  • What is the best Lens to use with the LED Engin LZ4?

I’ll start my fact-finding mission tonight, but if anyone has answers / advice I’m much obliged.

all the best
Megagreg

Hello there megagreg

Okay so first...
The LEDengin will fit just fine but it could put the 14500s at their capacity limit with the Flash on Clash on the Crystal Focus.
That battery holder can be modified to fit 17500s that will work better with the LEDengin.
Trimming off the side tabs that cradle around and hold the AA size are what you will need to do but you may want to get a spare
battery holder form TCSS or elsewhere and practice that first. ;)
(It may also mean using a thinner plastic sleeve depending on your hilts actual inner diameter be it replica or vintage)

Next you could try the Cree 3 Die LED which will be easier on the batteries and could be used with the stock set up
for the 14500 but you'll have to make a spacer on the adapter plate or a tube to take up the gap from the top to fit
the shorter LED and lens combo.
(something I'll eventually provide a solution for but still testing it)

Finally for either set-up you should run Blue and Green in parallel.
For the White FoC resistor use something in the range of a 2-3 watt and 3.6 - 3.9 ohms and you should be okay
(though you may want to adjust your values dependent on the LED you choose and the Specs of the Die)

The Current/strength level in the CF 5 maxes out at 511 and I typically set mine to 500 just so it isn't maxed out :D

Hope that helps and good luck with your build 8)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline megagreg

• No Force
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
The LEDengin will fit just fine but it could put the 14500s at their capacity limit with the Flash on Clash on the Crystal Focus.
That battery holder can be modified to fit 17500s that will work better with the LEDengin.

Master Yoda - Many thanks for your help and reply.

So I presume the 18650s will not fit (indeed they are longer and a bit wider -- http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-3100-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-_p_3954.html)? If not, then I will go with 17500s as you suggest as I do have an extra battery holder from TCSS -- so I will practice on that. Again, many thanks.

The Current/strength level in the CF 5 maxes out at 511 and I typically set mine to 500 just so it isn't maxed out

Awesome - thanks. There's also the LED current setting (a value from 0-93). I've read that FenderBender (over at the TCSS forum) suggests setting that to 93 for the type of setup I'm going for.

All the best
Megagreg

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

Master Yoda - Many thanks for your help and reply.

So I presume the 18650s will not fit (indeed they are longer and a bit wider -- http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-3100-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery-_p_3954.html)? If not, then I will go with 17500s as you suggest as I do have an extra battery holder from TCSS -- so I will practice on that. Again, many thanks.

The Current/strength level in the CF 5 maxes out at 511 and I typically set mine to 500 just so it isn't maxed out

Awesome - thanks. There's also the LED current setting (a value from 0-93). I've read that FenderBender (over at the TCSS forum) suggests setting that to 93 for the type of setup I'm going for.

All the best
Megagreg

Hello there megagreg

No problem and I'm glad to help :)
Yes the 18650s will not fit side by side and are way to long.

The 17500 is cr123 diameter and will fit with modification.
(You will notice some of my newest sabers I Actually make a battery contact section now
but I've used the modified pack as well and it works well)

For the LED current if you use the LEDengin then you can go form 90-93 with out issue.

With the Cree and 14500 I'd start at 88 and work up form there on run time and
perceived brightness.

Offline megagreg

• No Force
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »
Really appreciate the help.

Thanks much
Megagreg

retrousse