fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin Skywalker AOTC ForceFX (2002) review with pics  (Read 30193 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Anakin Skywalker AOTC ForceFX (2002) review with pics
« on: November 28, 2005, 02:45:20 PM »
MY STORY
The Anakin Skywalker AOTC lightsaber was made into the very first Force FX lightsaber from Master Replicas.  Released for Order back in early 2002.  Original Price for the Anakin was $129 with $19.95 shipping per item.  I placed my order for two of the Anakin FX sabers.  One for me and one for a friend.  I couldn't get just one and have no one to duel with if I wanted to!  So, the order was processed and shipped and I received the Lightsabers late in 2002.  In September or October I believe.  Being that these were the very first Generation of the first Series both of them had problems right out of the box. The one I got my friend did not even light up and the sound quit working after 5 minutes.  Mine lit up, and the sound came on and lasted for about 30 minutes then went out.  The construction was very flimsy and shaky.   Needless to say, I was disappointed and angry.  Next came a call to MR customer service dept.  They were Great, very helpful.  They emailed me the FedEx Pre-paid shipping labels for the return of the sabers.  All I had to do was box it up in the box it came in, slap on the label and call FedEx for a pickup.
I finally received my replacement FX sabers in November.  I took both out and I could tell they were different from the previous malfunctioning models.  I've dubbed the faulty models  SubGEN1 and the model I received SubGEN2.  The first thing I notice about the saber is the construction was improved.  It was a bit tighter and didn't make a rattle sound as much.  Next thing I noticed is they placed a rubber seal in between the grip and the main body where it screws into. (See Pic)

The original Anakin had no rubber seal like such. (See Pic)

The battery installation on both stayed the same.  Not a very easy to get to design.  First you had to twist the fake control box open to access a Philips head screw. (See Pics)

Once the Screw was loose you then had to unscrew the grip handle from the body of the saber to access the battery holder/Speaker/motion sensor.

Now you just install the 6 AA batteries and reverse the deconstruction process.  I always thought that this was one of the worst battery compartment designs on an electronic item ever.  I guess its tough to design something that has never been done before and I am very pleased with the current Series of FX sabers and their ease of accessing the battery holder.

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX

Now, to the actual operation of the Saber.  At the time I had no other saber to compare it to, so it was the BEST that I had ever seen.  I still regard it as a quality saber except for the battery holder design.  One thing noted for this saber is the sound and light electronics have a "warm-up" time frame.  Explanation:  Once you flip the switch you hear the "Activation" sound and the saber immediately lights.  But if you turn it off quickly the blade instantly goes out and the sound "Thrumm" sound keeps playing for 3-4 seconds then goes into the "Deactivation" sound.  So to get the Light and Sound FX to work with each other all you have to do is not turn off the saber right after you turn it on.  You leave it on for 10 seconds and you are good to go.  Then you are able to turn it off with the EL blade slowly fading as the "deactivate" sound is played.
The activation/deactivation switch shown here.  It is the Black plastic piece with the horizontal ribs going across it.  To activate you push up towards the blade, to deactivate just push back down

The Grips of the saber are really quite rubbery feeling.  I did have a problem with one of the grips coming off, but that was soon remedied with some super glue.  The speaker and "swing" motion sensor are included in the same assembly at the end of the battery holder.  There was space between the battery holder and the outer shell of the grip to give the battery holder "movement space" for the motion sensor to activate.  Only flaw in this is that it kinda makes the saber feel like it is falling apart or loose.

The Anakin Force FX saber was only marginally larger than the actual prop replica.  I couldn't tell a difference between the two in pictures, at least.  Here is a detail pic of the faux red and green LED's on the side of the FX saber.

The Master Replicas and Lucas film LTD. logos and 2002 copyright stamping

THE SABER IGNITED
Here you can see the infamous EL blade line.  This is the wrap around end-point of the EL sheet.  Doesn't bother me too much and you don't even notice it until you look closely at the blade.

The Anakin Force FX in Room Light

The Anakin Force FX in Low Room Light

The sound of the saber is not that loud compared to the newer Series sabers.  It also tends to be a little staticky.  The motion sensor tends to work very well if you don't mind the feel of the movement and sound of the battery holder clanking around a bit.  The "battle clash" sounds are sounded much louder than the idle hum, but still not as loud and crisp as the newer series clash sounds. To activate you pretty much have to hit the blade in the area toward the lower half of the blade near the handle.  To get the sounds to activate using the tip takes a lot of "force".
As for handling the saber, the awkward size of the "control box" is kind of limiting.  The Control box and the various knobs on the top end tend to get in the way when you spin the handle in one hand.  With your Thumb on the ignition switch and your fingers wrapped around it seems to feel almost like a strange rifle that you are holding and the control box is the finger grip/trigger.  It takes some getting use to. The weight of the saber is decent.  makes it feel more real with the heft of the 6 batteries.

And here are some pics of the Box detail
Left-hand side top and front of box

Right-Hand side top and front of box

Right-Hand side top and front of box

Left-hand side back of box

Center back of box

Right-Hand side back of box

Overall, I'm still quite pleased with this saber considering it is the First Force FX ever made.  I am glad that I got in on these at the Beginning and I hope to continue adding on to my collection.  For anyone who can get their hands on one of these in good working order  for a decent price, I don't think you will be disappointed.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:44:55 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
Re: Anakin Skywalker AOTC ForceFX (2002) review with pics
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:54:19 AM »
Pretty awesome review Anakin, once again...  ;)

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 11:18:20 AM »
Nice review of the AOTC FX Saber. I have one on the way and hope to not have problems.....(Knock on wood).

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline rob

• Experienced Force User
  • What Would Porkins Do?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 12:08:11 PM »
Another great review Anakin.  You're a seasoned professional now.

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »
If you add more black to it you would the Vader ANH saber
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 11:46:17 PM »
Yes it is basically the same Hilt as Vader's. I would hope they do a re-release of this hilt. It looks so wicked. I would buy it. I am not that impressed by the look of the Anakin ROTS. Luke ESB is a much better choice then Anakin ROTS. I loved your review Anakin. I wish I could get a Anakin AOTC (LED 2006) verison. Hahahahaha I wish that would come out.
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 06:06:14 PM »
I just noticed something funny about those older MR boxes, NEVER use to strike othersĀ  :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 06:08:30 PM by Hamill82 »

Offline Nestea341

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 11:09:01 AM »
Does this Anakin Skywalker lightsaber have power up and down effects?

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 11:15:16 AM »
No it doesnt have the power up and down sequence, which to make a point here.  I am beginning to think that the power up and down thing is oeverrated, if you watch the original ANH, I mean the original release on video not dvd, Luke holds his father's lightsaber ignites it and the blade comes all at once, later in the film we see Obi power up sequence.  In the ESB against Vader Luke's saber comes on all at once, but Vader's is the power sequence, I am pointing this out cause the LEDS do produce a great effect but you do get those dark spots aka in the middle of the blade or you see the LEDS going up the blade due to the color of the blade like red and green and the mixing of the colors to get that color.  I do like the power up thing but I dont like blotches or dark spots.  When I get my Luxeon saber back I will post pictures and my thoughts of the converison which by all account I am going to love.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 11:47:26 AM »
In The Return Of The Jedi, Luke's saber ignite is so fast that you hardly even notice the power up effect. Custom Luke ROTJ with EL blade might actually be closer one to the movie saber than Fx saber.

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 03:32:40 AM »
that was some review.....i think im sweating from reading so much, lol
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline DarthArn

• Master Force User
  • They'll do their job. I guarantee that...
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 03:30:22 PM »
does the light just turn on, like the other ones?

- Custom Saber Shop Luxeon
-UltraFX Luxeon

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »
does the light just turn on, like the other ones?

Check here for a video I made of it:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=619.0

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 02:31:10 PM »
hey is the ani aotc possibly a different shade of blue then the rots?
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 03:21:32 PM »
hey is the ani aotc possibly a different shade of blue then the rots?

Oh, it most definitely is!

You have to remember that the AOTC version is an Electroluminecent Blade.  Where as its just a rolled up sheet of EL "paper" that ignites and light up.   It is about 40% on a brightness scale compared with the ROTS Anakin, which is in turn a  Darker color Blue than the AOTC EL Blue.

retrousse