fiduciary

Author Topic: *SOLVED* CFX and Pixel Blade Wiring - hot wires, battery, and chip  (Read 2309 times)

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
Re: *SOLVED* CFX and Pixel Blade Wiring - hot wires, battery, and chip
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 06:09:22 AM »
The effect here is that the wires can only carry so much current before they start resisting the flow.  You can measure the drop across the wire.  The longer the run, the greater the loss.  The inch or so of wire within the blade is not as big of a deal.  You can imagine it like a water flowing through a narrow pipe, or breathing through a straw.

I personally use 20AWG.  There is a measurable difference even on a cheap multimeter, measure at the positive connection to the battery and the positive connection to your blade.
Thanks for the reply.  Is the recommendation to use 20AWG for all wires or only between PCB and LED strip?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 06:30:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Is the recommendation to use 20AWG for all wires or only between PCB and LED strip?

The thicker wiring should be to every connection that powers the blade.  If you are powering your blade through your board, then the ground wire from the battery to the board sees the most current of all.  I recommend sketching or diagramming it out and trying to understand for yourself what wires will see the most current.  It should be pretty evident with a few moments of consideration.

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 10:36:44 AM »
The heating issue is resolved now that I am using a fully charged 18650 3120mAH 3.7V 15A battery.
The measured voltages changed very little:
  • numbers from top left to right (5.3V; 5V; 3.15)
  • numbers on bottom, left to right (5.01V; 8.82V; 1.6V; 3.29V; 3.29V)

The LED strip in the blade is still not changing colors (i.e. when spectrum is activated). - I will open a new thread for that issue, if required, after some additional investigation and work on the wiring.

Thanks to those who provided helpful replies.

*How do I mark this thread as solved?*
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:39:24 AM by nunya »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
Quote from: nunya link=topic=54890.msg674102#msg674102 date=1628271404

*How do I mark this thread as solved?*
You edit the topic title in your first post.  :wink:

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 05:14:14 AM »
i see it solved but just to add : CFX works up to 10V (ish). Pixels are 5V max. CFX was designed so that it could be powered with 2 cells IF neeced, and to drive pixel at +5V IF NEEDED.

Offline nunya

• No Force
  • nothing personal
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 02:33:46 PM »
Thanks erv!
My problem was not having the correct battery to start.  I found the part listing the battery but did not know about the 15A recommendation nor the 3.7v recommendation until this forum.  I already had 14500 type batteries and the mention of 2 cells and 14500 in the manual made me think I would be okay but I did not have the knowledge of current draw requirements for the LED strip.
With the 18650 3000mAh+ 15A 3.7V battery connected, all is working on my new board.  Thanks to all the help from the fine folks at FX-sabers Forum. ;)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
very happy you got it to work, and yes, even 3 x 14500 like some did on disney sabers are barely doing the job for combo colors like yellow or cyan so a 15A is needed
have fun with your saber project !

retrousse