fiduciary

Author Topic: maul vs kenobi (contains spoiler)  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
Re: maul vs kenobi (contains spoiler)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
I hadnt thought of the expense of animating saber duels...hope that wasnt the real reason and that we won't have truncated saber fights in future seasons because of it if so.

I think that Old Ben has grown much more deeply connected to/stronger in the Force since ROTS and earlier encounters with Maul. He has been being trained by the force ghost of QGJ since that time afterall and the proof is in ANH when having learned the 'secret to immortality' from QGJ he wills himself to become One with the Force in his battle with Vader. And Vader pokes at the robes uncomprehendingly because he has NOT learned that nor grown stronger in the Force since Mustafar despite his
"Now I am the Master" bragging - which Old Ben dismisses as "Only a Master of Evil" because he knows better that Vader hasn't truly learned much [and perhaps can't because of his less alive partly cyborg body distancing him to a degree from the Force].

Similarly Maul shows he hasn't learned much since Theed or the Clone Wars...certainly nowhere near the vast increase in Old Ben's power under QGJ's expert tutelage...add in that Old Ben is extremely dedicated, even desperate by the look on his face when Maul realizes what is at stake, to protect Luke by any means necessary and imo its not surprising that Old Ben defeats him easily and quickly.

Also I don't believe Old Ben was LYING to Maul at that moment about Luke being the Chosen One. There was simply no need and nothing to gain by doing so.

Maybe Old Ben could have been simply WRONG about it but to me it seems like it is something he truly believed when he said it, and if so how likely is it that he'd be wrong since he's been communicating almost two decades with QGJ who surely could have told him "no it is Anakin not Luke" unless perhaps QGJ told Ben "I was wrong it will be Anakin's son who brings Balance..." or something similar at some point.

Which seems a more reasonable explanation for Old Ben's words imo; that it was QGJ's Force Ghost who realized over the decades that he was wrong about Anakin being the Chosen One then, rather than Old Ben being wrong or lying to Maul about it now.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
Agree with Onli-Won Kanomi on all counts!

I finally caught up and I could hardly avoid knowing this happened, and couldn't help having some anticipation for it, and a minor let down when the kill was so quick.  I was actually distracted and missed it and thought I had missed more than I realized before I rewatched the episode from the top.

That last dialog between Maul and Obi was a masterpiece.  It was worth everything in the Maul arc.  It was bold in it's starkness while they clearly knew fans wanted an epic showdown.  It WAS an epic showdown.  It fulfilled everything it needed to and exceeded all expectations once it set in.  Subtlety and screaming tension annihilate in a cosmic flash, and are distilled into a sublime moment.  Then the coda, which brought us to that familiar moment on the Lars Farm, took this moment and tied all lines together in that same deft and delicate voice.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
I feel it was the only worthy ending of such an epic tale of antagonism. It was over even before it started, because all had been decided in their minds. Ben was momentary shaken when he realized Maul could read his mind about protecting someone valuable beyond measure, but it shows his intimate connection to the Force that instead of despair he got only more determinate and focussed. He used the decades to learn which Maul did not. Both Maul and Obi-Wan share a common link, they lost everything because of the other. Maul could never forget or get over it, blinded by his evil, whereby Obi-Wan - having lost his only true love to Maul - could forgive it and could live with utter dedication to his only remaining purpose in the tangible word: protecting the true Choosen One.
Did he lie about Luke? Well, Lucas would probably say yes. In his original Lucas tale Anakin is the Choosen One. But alas, Rebels was created by Disney. They made a fantastic animated series which contains a lot of hints to the movies to come. I strongly believe that with Ben's statement about Luke they were paving the way for EP VIII. We all know now that Luke has an insight about the circle of Jedi-Sith having to come to an end.

The true beauty of the last encounter between Ben and Maul was not the 3s-saber fight. It was the preceding conversation as well as the final liberation of a tormented soul. Because Obi-Wan did not slain Maul; he freed him up from the bondage of insanity and stayed with his Force-brother in his final moments. It was one of the most beautiful scenes in the Star Wars Saga.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
Exactly this.  ^

Death was a release from anguish for Maul.  After years of trying to accomplish his goal (dark as it may be) he only accomplished in suffering more and more.  In the battle with Obi Wan he must have known this was likely his end.  His calculation and force talents had reached their limits.  His only goal was the death of Anakin, his life came to mean nothing.  He knew he couldn't accomplish it himself, and he knew, both through the force and their dialog, that Obi Wan was protecting someone he truly believed could fulfill this goal. His time of suffering could come to an end. Not a happy end, but that was never an option.

Offline Malachor V

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
It was an amazing moment !

retrousse