fiduciary

Author Topic: Thoughts on the new Ezra?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline smcady

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Thoughts on the new Ezra?
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:10:41 AM »
I'm very anxious about the new season. But I'm definitely excited to see some green saber action ;)

Offline fonzie

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Thoughts on the new Ezra?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 05:20:18 AM »
Always stoked to see new saber designs. But it can be painful to my wallet.

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »
I didn't get a great look at it but it is 1 million times better than his first Ulysses 31 copy saber.

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »
This new Ezra comes across as the canon-equivalent to Starkiller, as Kanaan is to Kota. Loving the season opener, though a certain blue-skinned Admiral from Csilla most definitely stole the spotlight, as did Bendu. Need more Bendu in my Star Wars.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
Bendu was awesome, as were Ezra and Kanan. I really hope they continue dealing with the fallout of Ezra's time with the Sith holocron. Now if only we can get a really good view of that new saber...

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
I believe the young man's in danger of going to the dark side.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 12:30:40 AM »
I'm just glad he doesnt look like a clone of Disney's Aladdin any longer

The green saber is fine, though I wonder how that squares with Disney's new 'canon' policy on lightsaber crystal colours...where would he get a new clear crystal and if he was studying a SITH holocron before and while building it how/why did it turn into a green crystal instead of say a red or at least purple one?

Frankly this is the kind of nonsense that comes from letting the stupid Mouse 'fix' things that were never broken like the EU c-canon lore on crystal colours which worked just fine and didnt need tinkering that now leaves gaping plot and logic holes about Ezra's new colour lightsaber.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline lset

• No Force
  • In balance, find peace
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 01:51:05 AM »
I enjoyed the season opener and liked what they have done with both Ezra and the other characters so far.

In regards to his new saber being green, it feels to me that it's most likely that he found the saber/crystal after its colour has already been decided. Although Ezra is in the same place that Luke was in the lead up to ROTJ. His training isn't complete and the temptation of the dark side to protect his friends is there (minus the Sith holocron use obviously).

Offline Katarn KL

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
I see them more like Obi-Wan and Anakin the "right way". In a certain manner Kanan was not ready to have a Padawan and Ezra's training forced him to restart his own jedi training and achieve knighthood.

On the other, Ezra challenges Kanan as part of his growing process, both as a jedi and a teenager and that offers challenges but eventually results in a nurturing relationship for both of them as we saw in the last episode.

There are some superficial similarities to Starkiller and Kota no doubt but those two never got as close as they did and they certainly were not as nearly as developed as characters.

What we're seeing here is the trope "the student outgrows the master" we saw with Anakin and Obi-Wan but in this case it seems that Ezra's inner darkness is acknowledged and controlled instead of ignored or hidded as it happened with Anakin.

It remains to be seen if Ezra is really out of the dark side zone of influence or just in remission waiting to fall again...

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 11:02:40 PM »
Agreed.

His behaviour in the latest episode suggests he has still not learned his lesson and still believes he can somehow use the teachings of the Dark Side towards a 'necessary evil for the greater good' cause and it will turn out OK in the end; a dangerous gamble at best, judging from what we've seen elsewhere in the SW Galaxy.

But as you say at least it is out in the open not hidden so Kanan can still influence him to step back from the edge I hope. I suspect that question of WHOSE "Apprentice" Ezra really is now is going to be the focus on this season's episodes...the "MY apprentice" goading was clearly meant to try and bait Kanan into Anger but he had the wisdom not to fall into that Dark Side trap. Ezra naturally doesnt have that much maturity yet so is more easily manipulated and I'm sure there will more attempts to lure him in coming up...the Sith are always devious eh?

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Katarn KL

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 03:32:27 PM »
Agreed.

His behaviour in the latest episode suggests he has still not learned his lesson and still believes he can somehow use the teachings of the Dark Side towards a 'necessary evil for the greater good' cause and it will turn out OK in the end; a dangerous gamble at best, judging from what we've seen elsewhere in the SW Galaxy.

But as you say at least it is out in the open not hidden so Kanan can still influence him to step back from the edge I hope. I suspect that question of WHOSE "Apprentice" Ezra really is now is going to be the focus on this season's episodes...the "MY apprentice" goading was clearly meant to try and bait Kanan into Anger but he had the wisdom not to fall into that Dark Side trap. Ezra naturally doesnt have that much maturity yet so is more easily manipulated and I'm sure there will more attempts to lure him in coming up...the Sith are always devious eh?

I don't see Ezra fully out of the dark side yet, but the last episode was a watershed moment where he reconnected with Kanan and started trusting him again. Maybe both will learn something from the Bendu and although the temptation of darkness will always be there for Ezra I think he's past it by now.

Offline Malachor V

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
Very deep stories in rebels. Love it.

retrousse