fiduciary

Author Topic: Obi Wan conversion: thoughts and questions  (Read 1311 times)

Seth Ski-Woo

Obi Wan conversion: thoughts and questions
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
Hi - I hope all's been good on the FX-sabers forum - I've not contributed anything for ages since I sold my sabers to help fund my studies last year... and yes, I do miss messing around with them.
...so, I'm thinking of getting an Obi Wan to convert to a luxeon and with some other modifications to make it more what I want, which is mainly a thinner neck.
I'd like to use the Obi Wan FX as the basis, replacing the insides with kit from Plecter Labs, including the cool luxeon driver with its various effects and sounds.
The tricky bit I'd like to do is to replace the part of the hilt that is "fattened up" on the FX saber with a narrower piece that gives the thin neck look and will acommodate a 3/4" blade. I'm thinking this would mean having all electrics in the part of the hilt up to the thin neck (so I hope they'd fit!). If it could be made so it's solidly put together, I hope I could re-jig it into a really pleasing saber, especially as the thinness of the neck piece would hopefully be further accentuated by the slightly oversized rest of the hilt (for example compared to a Parks Obi Wan style hilt where the whole thing is more narrow and elegant than an FX).
The things I've been wondering are:
Whom I might be able to pay to make a custom neck if possible?
And also how much evenness of blade lighting you lose out on with a 3/4" blade? - I've read in some threads that you lose a fair bit of brightness compared to a 1" blade, but haven't seen any comments on the evenness of the lighting.
Any helpful or interesting thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
Re: Obi Wan conversion: thoughts and questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
Welcome back to the boards :)

Actually Equinox made quite a development in the thin neck department not too long ago, but nothing been made of it as of yet...

Have a look here is this what you were going for? http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=7732.0
"...the galaxy was littered with the body parts of those
who had underestimated the strength of Luke Skywalker."

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Seth Ski-Woo

Re: Obi Wan conversion: thoughts and questions
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:25:38 AM »
Hi JediFarmboy - Thanks for that and the welcome, I'd not seen it - I'm impressed that you can get that much thinner than the original and accommodate a 1" blade. If I can sort out a replacement neck being made I'll really have to weigh up the pros and cons of 1" vs 3/4" blades. Still like the idea of 3/4" if it can be lit well enough.

retrousse