fiduciary

Author Topic: Please Welcome the PICO CRUMBLEâ„¢ v1  (Read 38376 times)

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
Re: Please Welcome the PICO CRUMBLEâ„¢ v1
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 01:09:03 AM »
Welcome to the Family, Pico!  :azn:

Offline JQsabers

• Makers of Heroes....
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • jqsabers
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 02:04:56 AM »
Been playing with the board in a saber and they really are excellent, responsive, loud and crisp everything the old FX wasn't  :wink:
Will post a Jedi font Demo Very soon.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 02:21:47 AM »
Beta testing this right now as well.  Very nice so far.

can't wait to see what will come out of the General's HQ with this :-)

Offline Whi-ja

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 07:09:16 AM »
This seems like the perfect board for use in either an entry-level saber, a cheaper DIY saber, or, as you explained, a "beater" saber.  I can't wait to start installing thsee. As always you have my thanks, admiration, and congratulations, sir!

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 01:09:57 AM »
Beta testing this right now as well.  Very nice so far.

pics?

Once I get through Beta, I will post some supportive info if folks want, but my work is really more to make sure the board is mass market worthy so that when you all get them they work as they should.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 01:40:24 AM »
Pico sounds like the perfect solution for GIFT sabers for friends and family who are more 'casual' SW fans thus don't need 1138 features they'd never use anyway. This way I could keep my more feature-laden Plecter boards like PC and CF for personal builds but don't have to saddle friends with inferior MR/Hasbro or old boards from some makers I wont mention either which doesn't feel quite friendly, lol, now I could still give them Plecterlabs quality sound without breaking my piggybank eh? ;)
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 01:51:12 AM »
that's one of the goals, yes. What's nice is that it sounds just the same. Identical motion sensing. It's really "loosing" the font changing thing but not that the cost (pun intended) of removing core features. Good motion sensor (the latest one, less noise), same amp. Pretty much same everything, just simpler from the user's point of view.
And wallet too.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »
Outstanding. I'll be using this for my kids' builds for sure.

Offline ishtob

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »
this is amazing! A plug a play board! I have been thinking of doing a lightsaber crafting class for summer camp (to teach middle schoolers about basic R=V/I calculation and  soldering)

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
this is amazing! A plug a play board! I have been thinking of doing a lightsaber crafting class for summer camp (to teach middle schoolers about basic R=V/I calculation and  soldering)

Awesome idea there...I'm sure the kids will LOVE that!

Imo if every middle/high school science/electronics class built sabers it would be great for kids; I've learned SO many things in this hobby that I otherwise might not have. Great educational potential this hobby has.

Plus it would get Erv some of those bulk orders... ;)

...maybe too many? Erv might have to license mass-producing Picos to meet demand? ;)

jk...LOL

Ok maybe I'm being a bit silly imagining sabers being built in schools all over as a fun uber-cool way to teach kids science and electronics but hey its New Years Day so a good day for dreaming eh? Happy New Year 2016 and MTFBWY'all.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:39 PM »
If I'm reading the manual right a board only has one font, correct? Meaning that there are two different boards, a Jedi and a Sith, and the font can't be selected between the two on the same board?

Also, I love the the idea behind the Pico with the RGB LED. I have quite a few sabers that I would like to see this feature in, but still change sound fonts. Any chance we may see a "port" of this RGB feature to a NB someday? Perhaps a NB-Prizm Edition, as it were? ;)

Erv, you are the man, keep doing what you are doing!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:05:08 PM by TrypWyr »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »
That's correct, you'll need to select which one you want. There's no way for the moment you can switch between the 2.

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »
That's correct, you'll need to select which one you want. There's no way for the moment you can switch between the 2.

Okay, that makes sense. I will definitely pick up a couple to use in my boys' sabers (and take back my NBs...). Thanks Erv!

P.S. Would still love to see a NB with RGB functionality... wink wink  :undecided:

Offline Viper138

• Padawan Learner
  • Strength & Honor!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »

Color Profiles
The goal was to provide an efficient way to get a saber configurable in blade color but not at the expense of spending hours configuring each saber. So, I defined 6 color profiles defined by having a dice either on or off. The Flash on Clash is the remaining di(c)e, so FoC always ends up turning all the dice on, resulting of a whitish flash if a RGB led is used.
In the case of a RGB LED, you'll get:
- Red
- Red+Green
- Green
- Green+Blue
- Blue
- Blue+Red

RICE-Edgeâ„¢
It's a card edge access to the RICE port to eventually tune a saber. Defaults work just fine (motion sensing etc) however you can get an LED that goes a bit off-specs (low Forward Voltage).
As there's no color mixing per profile, the board uses Max-drive values : those are used in each profile. If a LED channel requires adjustment, you simply adjust that setting once, it will be reflected in all profiles that have the die on, or during FoC.
You can also adjust motion settings, i, ls, hs, lc, Flicker speed and depth, and pretty much all parameters like on a Nano.
The defaults have the max drive values all set to the max.

So if I am understanding this correctly, if I wanted to produce an orange blade color with a RGB LED, I would leave the Red die on the pre-programmed Max-drive value and adjust the green die. This in turn would affect every other color profile that would utilize the green die and FoC. Am I on the right track with this?

I can't wait to get this for my next saber!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 09:51:10 PM »
that's correct

retrousse