fiduciary

Author Topic: Mr. Windu is a man with class  (Read 3734 times)

Offline NickelPlate

• Force User
  • "I AM the Senate"
Mr. Windu is a man with class
« on: October 02, 2006, 05:20:18 PM »
Another Mace Windu review. I've purchased several MR sabers prior to this one but decided to review the Mace first since it seems to be the one that causes the most talk. People either like it or they don't. So if you're on the fence about this one hopefully this will be another review to help you decide. That said on to the review.

Box:

The box is decorated in the usual MR way with good graphics and printing. Mine actually say "Purple" saber on it unlike the many that went out with the "Red Saber" misprint. I assume this means I have the newer so called improved version.

Hilt:

This hilt oozes luxury and class!! It is definitely the cadillac of the all the hilts for the sabers I currently own. I wasn't sure initially about how I'd like the rubber grips but I definitely like them. They are soft and pliable with a good grip. The inset rubber grip behind the power button is kind of strange to me. It feels good but makes holding the saber in this area feel a little imbalanced and I'm never really sure where to grip it.

The power button is in an unusual place in that it is easier to accidentally turn off whilst spinning but this saber is still very easily twirlable. The thing I really like about the power button placement is that this saber is by far the easiest to turn on with one hand just like Mace does in the movie when he confronts Sidious. I can't help myself re-enacting this moment.

The quality of the threads on the battery cover is second to none. Very smooth feeling and didn't require and lubrication unlike some of my other sabers. This is a fairly heavy saber but feels a little lighter than the Obi Wan, although that is my qualitative assessment as I didn't actually put it on a scale.

Blade

My take on the blade is alot like everyone elses. It is definitely not the deep purple I was expecting but rather a light lavender color with a hint of blue and pink. I have the famous red lines on the sides. The color is actually ok but I could do without the red lines. It is a bit blotchy but not terribly so and a little blotchiness never bothered me that much. That said, it is still a very nice looking blade in the dark and is extremely bright, on par with my Luke ROTJ which is the brightest I've seen yet. The blade is very tight in the hilt and is the straightest blade I've seen yet, straight as an arrow actually.

Initially I thought that the blade looked kind of blue but in comparison with my Obi Wan they are very different and the Mace blade is quite distinctive from all the rest. This is difficult to capture in picture but here is my best effort with the camera settings (exposure turned down to minimize super brightness):

Sound and Electronics

I am very pleased with the sound. It is identical as far as I can tell to the Luke ROTJ and is very LOUD. I like loud sabers and this one drowns out the Obi Wan. The motion sensors function very well when they're supposed to and the clash sensor is just right. There are multiple clash sounds and from what I can tell it sounds like three of them but I'm not 100% sure.

Overall this is a fun saber that is a real show stopper. On display it really makes all the others I have look like subordinates. The blade is about the only thing that could stand improvement. It's a shame that purple LED technology has yet to advance to the point to where they could be used on this saber. But I'm sure that purple LEDs will eventually come of age and then I will most likely mod mine to use them and give this saber the due color it calls for. I give it two thumbs up, well worth adding to your collection.

Regards,

NP

Offline Jedi Ollie

• Force User
Re: Mr. Windu is a man with class
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 12:56:44 PM »
Great review :)

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:28:08 AM »
Great review ,
I didnt know the Mace had louder sounds than the obi-wan rots

Offline NickelPlate

• Force User
  • "I AM the Senate"
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
Great review ,
I didnt know the Mace had louder sounds than the obi-wan rots

I was surprised because I was expecting it to be quiet as some other reviewers had mentioned. But this one at least is very loud and drowns out all of my others except the Luke ROTJ.

NP

retrousse