fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex 2.0 - What type of metal is the primary housing made of?  (Read 3706 times)

Offline screamindemon06

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Graflex 2.0 - What type of metal is the primary housing made of?
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:10:25 AM »
Due to some unfortunate scratches my Graflex 2.0 suffered while I was making modifications to the bottom of the main housing, I was forced to re-sand the surface. Given the weight of the housing, I assumed it was nickel-plated brushed brass. I figured once I had the brushed-brass surface I could nickel plate it again. However, as I kept sanding, the brass never appeared, nor do I see brass in any of the additional holes I had drilled. Therefore, I started to suspect that it is stainless steel, given the heft of the housing. However, I conducted a quick test by passing a magnet over it with zero reaction. So, it is either non-magnetic stainless steel, or it is aluminum. It seems a bit heavy for aluminum, but I thought I would inquire as to whether anyone on here has any more information.

If it is stainless or aluminum, I am having difficulty sealing the metal/achieving juuust the right metal tone. I suspect that either there is some kind of metal treatment I have not considered or a sealer (i.e. varnish, lacquer, etc.) that I have not yet tested. The sanded bottom housing has a slightly brighter tone of silver, whereas the top (unaltered) housing is just a hint darker (more of the stainless steel fridge color). I have tried lacquer (with awful results) and polyurethane (which actually decently matched the tone of the top half of the housing). However, with both of these coatings, they scratched very easily and deeply. Upon closer inspection of the top housing, it appears that if there is a coating, it must be extremely thin.

Overall, I am seeking information from anyone that has any insight into the manufacturing process of the Graflex 2.0 housing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and would alleviate some of my suffering :wink: I will try to provide pictures this evening if that would help. 

Offline ken

• Force User
  • in my experience there is no such thing as luck
Re: Graflex 2.0 - What type of metal is the primary housing made of?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »
im pretty sure its nickle plated aluminium you can buy nickle plating kits online to get the colors to match again since you stripped the platting off
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:05:27 PM by ken »
http://

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »
From the original announcement thread (I've snipped some info):

Details - Graflex 2.0 - ... will be brushed aluminum ...

Graflex 2.0 saber run- July 7 update last page

Unless something changed during the proto or prod run phases, it should simply be brushed aluminum.

Offline ForceSensitvAL

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »

Unless something changed during the proto or prod run phases, it should simply be brushed aluminum.

I was recently cleaning and buffing one of mine, and a small nick that was on the side, previously known and always just looked like a tiny gouge, flaked away and almost makes it look like these are plated. Can anyone confirm? I figured they were solid aluminum and the finish was just produced from polishing them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:17:02 AM by ForceSensitvAL »

Offline Ravenbom

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »

I was recently cleaning and buffing one of mine, and a small nick that was on the side, previously known and always just looked like a tiny gouge, flaked away and almost makes it look like these are plated. Can anyone confirm? I figured they were solid aluminum and the finish was just produced from polishing them.

Aluminum doesn't rust but it does oxidize and create a semi invisible patina which protects it.
Sight unseen, I would guess that because the scratch wasn't buffed out immediately, it had developed a jagged patina that sheered off when you were cleaning it.

You can use a magnet to ID the steel parts in your Graflex 2.0. Most of the fasteners are stainless and the clamp and bunny ears as well.

I don't know the size of the flake or the gouge, but aluminum is very crystalline in structure and breaks accordingly. So in car parts, you tend to see aluminum just snap or crack while steel will generally bend.

So, knowing all that about aluminum, be careful with the threads and lube them up. I learned the hard way about galling and friction welds. Once it's stuck, it's one piece and forcing it will simply snap the piece.

retrousse