fiduciary

Author Topic: SimplyProps StarKiller Repair and Upgrade w/ P.C. v2.0  (Read 5855 times)

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
SimplyProps StarKiller Repair and Upgrade w/ P.C. v2.0
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:48:47 AM »
Hey folks,

This is a somewhat abnormal service I did for a client. He received a SimplyProps Starkiller installed with a PC 2.0, but wanted to have Flash-ON-Clash. The person he commissioned it from said he couldn't fit the PEX and FOC into the hilt, so the client came to me and asked if I would give it a shot. While the hilt itself is somewhat controversial, I told him I would take it on and see what I could do.

Unfortunately, when I got the hilt, the wiring inside was incredibly subpar to my personal standards. I'll show you some pics of the wiring, as examples as "don'ts" then show you what I did for a simple and cheap chassis. The following notes are my opinions. Everyone builds sabers with different standards of what is "right" and "wrong". The following is simply my take. ;)

The first issue, was instead of the wires being routed behind the shroud, they were covered up in the Crystal Chamber area by some black foam tape.

When I pulled the shroud off, there was an incredible amount of double stick tape. This was messy and took forever to clean up. in addition, some of the tape had worn away and the bare solder points were touching the hilt.

Electrical tape wrapped around a mini TCSS 2W Speaker. Electrical tape should never be used in a hilt IMO. Ever.

This is what really got me. The PC and battery had no chassis at all, and there was "spaghetti" wiring all over the place. The wires also weren't very good quality. Very similar to the ones found on the Hasbro sabers.

The soundboard was covered in tape and hot glue. I am assuming this was done because there was no chassis to protect the board. Instead, tape and hot glue were using. Also a mess and pain to clean up.

So after a couple hours work, I cleaned up all the components, and built a chassis out or 1" Blade stock. This is the result before installing it into the saber.

In addition to that and adding a PEX, I upgraded and repaired the following things for the client just because they needed to be done.
1. Re-routed the wires to be hidden under the shroud. Now there is no foam tape present on the saber nor wires visible.
2. Flipped the crystal around so there is a terminated point- not the craggy point. The crystal is also now epoxied in place, not hot glued like it originally was.
3. Remounted switches with insulating 3M mounting tape. Not the thin double sided scotch tape.
4. Recharge port is now flush with the pommel. Not sticking out anymore. Simple thing really, just put the but on the port and then screw it in.
5. Added reverse sound by mounting the speaker under the crystal.

Finally, here is a video of the upgraded saber.

Let me know your thoughts folks.  8)

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
Re: SimplyProps StarKiller Repair and Upgrade w/ P.C. v2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 05:41:05 AM »
just saw the video, amazing job.

I am a huge huge fan of the Starkiller hilt.

very nice.

Offline jedicri

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:49:31 AM »
Everything's great but what's up with those two loose switches?  Is that a manufacturing defect on Simply Props' part?

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »
Everything's great but what's up with those two loose switches?  Is that a manufacturing defect on Simply Props' part?

No, SimplyProp just makes the body... The loose switch seems clued originally by the original installer so in the video the new installer was showing the functions of the rework done to Saber.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »

No, SimplyProp just makes the body... The loose switch seems clued originally by the original installer so in the video the new installer was showing the functions of the rework done to Saber.

I honestly don't know what comes with an original simplyprop hilt, so I'll take Bayne's word for that. :) regarding the switches, that is the way they came from the original installer. I was told to just leave them be, as this will be a display piece.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• "I'll bring the popcorn"
  • Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
Well done, Sollus! The original installer should be ashamed of themselves IMO.  :o
"It's not broken, it's a feature."

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
great job i love the reverse sound iv been wanting to do this in a sk for ages, it just seems a natural place for the speaker to go in this hilt
the sound emitting from the crystal chamber should be loud

apart from the switches its very awesome great job
its on my to do list to get a simply props SK

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
Thanks guys. It is always a pleasure to restore a hilt to where it should be.

I'll give a quick review of the Simplyprops hilt. I have had in my hands a JSS Starkiller, a MHS custom Starkiller, a Machined FX starkiller, and the glourious VV SK. Obviously, the VV Starkiller is the best of the best. Bar none. If the SK is your hilt, save monies and wait it out. It is worth it.

The MHS Starkiller was actually my second favorite. It can look fairly accurate and is the cheapest option. $150 in parts plus labor.

The JSS Starkiller is in my "Third" list. These are incredibly cheap for the quality you get, and very easy to work on and customize.

Now we get into the non-sturdy and non duel able SKs...
The simplyprop looks nice for sure, but the construction of the hilt is not the best. Edges are sharp. The painted finish is very easily scratched off, and the entire upper portion (Box, shroud, and BH) is held in place with a single 10-32 screw. It is not sturdy or solid at all.

The MachinedFX... don't even bother. Glue, set screws, and more. It is a mess and not worth the time to make it something worth having.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »
wow! thanks for that rundown i really didnt know the simply props version was that bad i just loved the look of it

cheers

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
Great Job! The owner should be pleased. I would after all that.

Glad we have some great people on FX.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
Wow. What a horrid original install! It would have fallen apart after a few swings it looks like. :(   So glad that it was fixed! Great job, Sollus.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »
Good work Sollus.  ;D You're absolutely right, that original install job looked bad. 

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline RyDiddy

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
Awesome work on the upgrade and repairs! I truly appreciate your taking on this project for me!

retrousse