fiduciary

Author Topic: Some not so obvious (at first) do's and don'ts to wiring up sabers.  (Read 35703 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: Some not so obvious (at first) do's and don'ts to wiring up sabers.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 05:49:04 AM »
keep them coming guys.  Great tips so far.  Any recommendations for benchtop PSU's?  It would be nice to put a link for people who are looking at this thread, and I still have not gotten one myself (I know, I know). 

Original post updated and added to.  I had a few more that I just can't remember at the moment. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:00:05 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
# 42 write down your ideas about internal and external setup or make some sketch drawing before you start your project!
# 43 always use the right tools! ( dremel, soldering iron/station, players etc )

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »
forget all that is posted above and go in guns a blazin'.

Oh wait these were supposed to be helpful hints not things to drum up business to people that repair things  ;D

use really small solder (.015 is what I use).  Also use silver-bearing solder if possible.  Its the best solder I have found.

to add to the non Radioshack solder wick...Chem-WiK (rosin sd) is a really good wick to use.

DO NOT turn your iron too hot.

Always use a ESD safe Iron

my apologies if some of this is posted...I didn't read the entire list prior to posting.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:48:14 AM by MH »

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
MH, if you could suggest a temperature that people should not go above when wiring soundboards, I will add it to the OP.  I like to keep mine around 325 (I think solder starts to melt at 280 on mine, but it really flows well at 325.  I think that number is off though because of how long and sharp the tip is though). 

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
MH, if you could suggest a temperature that people should not go above when wiring soundboards, I will add it to the OP.  I like to keep mine around 325 (I think solder starts to melt at 280 on mine, but it really flows well at 325.  I think that number is off though because of how long and sharp the tip is though). 

I cant do that because as erv said "It depends™".

The irons usually have a way to adjust the temp to a true temp depending on the tip used.  I do not do that though because I do not have a way to measure the temp of the tip.  I just play with the iron until I get it where I like it (if I change tips).  I start around 340 and go from there.  On mine with the long needle tip I set it at 350.

Just figure out where solder starts to melt and then play with how it heats up the board and melts the solder and adjust it from there.

Offline Nero Attoru

• Master Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
Wow... what a list!  Coming from a guy who is still taking his first steps into the saberbuilding world, thank you so much for the tips.  I'm trying to work my way slowly but surely... first with an econo board from an Ultimate FX saber, next with a Force FX board.  One day I may be enough of a champ to start working with the really awesome electronics ;)

Offline Artorius Vidnyl

• Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »
Holy crud.  That is one heck of a good list.

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."
―Qui-Gon

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
I tried to put as much stuff that either caused me problems, or could have caused me problems in the OP, then when everyone else added to it, it got so much better. 

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 06:20:41 AM »
46. Use a mechanical solution vs a glue solution when ever possible. Using SOME glue is unavoidable in most builds. BUT from a saber maintenance POV, and sabers need maintenance, try to keep it to a minimum. Double sided auto trim tape is much more versatile and cleaner in appearance.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 06:40:49 AM »
Will said tape hold a cf to a single 18650 very well?  Jut wondering since the only reason i use glue is that i can't find a suitable solution for mounting a cf to an 18650 stick pack.  Besides pvc chassis clips that it.  I'll add that to the list when i get home from my exams in a few hours.  Just finished calc and feeling pretty good about it.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »
updated with jango's tip and another one from me.  I always go by #47 when something doesn't go as planned.  A minor thing like forgetting heatshrink isn't what I am talking about either.  I mean something like wiring a bargraph upside down, or a speaker lead breaking at the board, etc. 

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 05:20:29 AM »
#48: just because you finally got a cf, doesn't mean you can wire it.  If you don't have the skill and the tools, don't touch that board with you iron.  Skill meams either soldering is a job or hobby of yours (small soldering like on the cf) or you have successfully build a few sabers, and one of them being a petit crouton (the best practice for a cf imo).  

#49: if you break a cf, first, get it fixed, then determine what caused the break.  If it had to do with your soldering, practice some more.  If it was your mounting, make a new chassis setup.  

#50: just because it is cheaper to build your own saber does not mean that it is the better option.   If you don't have experience and don't want to make a bunch of "practice"  sabers (more specifically practice leading up to a cf saber), then you should not make your own saber.  There are exceptions to this rule, but they are few.  If you don't have the experience, send the cf to a smith for install into an awesome saber.

#51: there are a bunch of different chassis setups, and they aren't all that hard to do.  A lot of people have been posting saying they have no idea there is a way to mount the electronics.  A few are pvc chassis setuos like madcow does, t8 flourescent light tube protector, saberworks RCS, and chassis disk and rod setuos.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:46:34 AM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »
#48: just because you finally got a cf, doesn't mean you can wire it.  If you don't have the skill and the tools, don't touch that board with you iron.  Skill meams either soldering is a job or hobby of yours (small soldering like on the cf) or you have successfully build a few sabers, and one of them being a petit crouton (the best practice for a cf imo).  

QFT! - It looks easy to most until you actually have to wire it up, then it's an entirely different ballgame, especially if it your first (or maybe even your second)

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »
Glad you quoted that one.  I'm not targeting anyone in particular, but i've been seeing a growing number of first build logs that are cf sabers and it shouldn't be that way.  My first cf saber was my third saber and while nothing went wrong with it, i probably shoild have waited one or two more sabers. 

Also, just because you are experienced building sabers, doesn't mean you aren't goibg to break something.  I installed cfs in my sabers more than 5 times with no issues (including swaps between sabers and firmware upgrades.  I think i also sent my 5.3 board in for a volume hack), and then i was bench testing a 2w speaker and two things touched that shouldn't have been able to.  Bye bye audio circuit. 

Offline Dak-Tari

• Force User
    • Gentlemen of Fortune
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
There certainly is no teacher like experience... and I have never met anyone who learns the easy way.... everybody learns the hard way and complains that others don't do what they say!

So, for my first build I picked a doozy and I am going to see how many of the preceding rules I can break (and thus learn something) my first trip to the batter's box!

retrousse