fiduciary

Author Topic: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers  (Read 26090 times)

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
Re: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »
I solder in my man cave-- and it seems like more times than not I get a head ache later on in the day after soldering. I'm going to set up a fan down there to blow the smoke away while working.

Thanks for the tips.

I've had this happen as well with the headache... It may be a side effect of the Rosin or flux burning off on the iron.

If you keep it smoking like you should, those fumes can get pretty intense.  There have been a couple of times that I have had a queasy feeling after soldering, but that was when I didn't have exhaust fans and the airflow through the old apartment was nearly non existant.

Offline Amichaels

• No Force
Re: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »
Any kind of work done with synthetic or treated materials where you're heating or abrading them should be done with good ventilation and I don't mean just opening a window or something. If you want to ventilate an area well one thing you can do is open a window on one end and put a fan in a doorway or other window to help create positive pressure to vent any fumes or dust. It's a technique that's used for ventilation of smoke and toxic gases in structural firefighting.
FWIW Your typical home hobbyist is probably not working with the volume of materials to be immediately life threatening. It's the exposure to those chemicals or dust over long periods of time that can cause problems. The amounts of hazardous materials a firefighter encounters is way higher in a single exposure than most people will experience in a whole lifetime.

retrousse