fiduciary

Author Topic: A little more speculation on the Star Wars Live Action TV series...  (Read 11607 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN

Offline LadySythe

• Master Force User
Re: A little more speculation on the Star Wars Live Action TV series...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:44:05 PM »
Cool! Thanks for sharing Yoda :) I'm sitting here reading it at the moment...
ATTENTION: I will be leaving my Moderator status. Please do not pm me regarding this matter

MR Sabers: Dual Darth Maul 2006 **stolen** :'(
Grayven "Original"
"The Chosen" by Ben Kenobi
Static RLSA "Nameless" (gift from Vosk)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:07:30 AM »
I do like the comparison of a similar feeling for the character that the Heroes series had.

It started strong and was cool in it's own right but did die off after a while...

NOW for a Star Wars based series can have real staying power with it's massive fan base and
I could see it going for many seasons and continuing as a min series because people would continue
to watch simply for the history of it.

Many people felt it should take place after ROTJ but this would be venturing in to new territory and that may have
been to risky or need to be progressed to that point once again.

Taking place between ROTS and ANH I think is a brilliant Idea and though it might not have as many Jedi
Lightsabers as most of us would like it will have Vader and His lightsaber I'm sure...

Not to mention the story of Luke and Leia Growing up and all that happens in between.
Supposedly Maul goes to Tattoine to confront Obiwan again and we all know we'd be waiting for that episode
to Air no matter how many seasons it took to get to it ;D

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
  • I like my lightsabers too bright, too loud!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:17:42 AM »
I don't watch Heroes or Lost to know what its all about but I hope SW tv will stay away from following other shows and be original and also don't be that awful Christmas special.

To think of an episode when in the middle of the show, suddenly there are stormtroopers breaking into song and dance (Indian movie style). ;D :D :D :D

I read somewhere that the tv show will not have a standard time frame. It will have episodes based on KOTOR, jumped to the future and of course those set in the OT.

I just hope that the planned 400 hours will still stick, I mean, in many ways, its better than more SW movies but I am greedy. I want more SW movies and tv. For the record, more SW movies won't happen but if it does, I hope its KOTOR.

B

Offline LadySythe

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:40:21 AM »
I'd go for some EU. Though, I'd love to see something set in the very distant future, maybe 1000 years after ROTJ. THAT would be interesting!
ATTENTION: I will be leaving my Moderator status. Please do not pm me regarding this matter

MR Sabers: Dual Darth Maul 2006 **stolen** :'(
Grayven "Original"
"The Chosen" by Ben Kenobi
Static RLSA "Nameless" (gift from Vosk)

Offline Vektor

• Master Force User
  • That other Finnish guy
    • My Elegant Weapons
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:31:33 AM »
Since Heroes and Lost got already mentioned, it got me thinking about a few other recent "big hit" TV shows (such as Deadwood, Rome, 24, etc.) as well and what they have in common. In my opinion their biggest drawback is that for a 50-minute episode you might actually see only one minute worth of main storyline progression and maybe 1-2 minutes of action. And the rest is mostly mediocre human relations and emotional controversy. So if this new SW TV show turns out to be another Roswell or Smallville variant, I´d be very disappointed. There hasn´t been a good action adventure TV show since... since... Well, since MacGyver!

Then again, I shouldn´t worry, since it´ll most likely take ages before some domestic broadcasting companies here would buy the rights to air it. If that TV show venture ever gets to the release point...

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »
I really dont want to be a 'Grinch' here folks but I've mentioned this before [not sure if it was here or on another site] but maybe somedbody misunderstood "FOR a hundred hours" as "400 hours" but a 400 hours series is utterly ABSURD...TV just doesnt work that way folks.

Yes Star Wars is unique and can break a lot of the normal rules; for example George can certainly afford to self finance production of the standard 100 episodes 'package' before syndication, heck he would be in a perhaps unique position to be able to self finance 400 hours of production I suppose if he really wanted to...

BUT there is NO broadcast network, affiliate pseudo-network, or cable network in existence that could EVER make a commitment to RUN a 400 hour series up front...thats SIXTEEN YEARS of episodes folks...

George might be able to afford to make it but no one in TV today can BUY that far ahead.

Maybe, MAYBE, if - IF- that "400 hours" is looking ahead towards 3 100 hour spin-off series on top of the main 100 hour series that just might be barely possible depending very much on how well the first one goes but spinoffs are never sure things to TV execs and it would be almost as impossible that any TV entity who bought this could also commit to THREE spinoffs..and certainly not up front.

400 hours eventually could happen if everything worked out over time they way it did with ST TNG begetting ST DS9 begetting ST Voyager but Roddenberry could never have sold anyone on TNG, DS9 AND Voyager in 85 before the first episode of TNG aired and neither can Lucas sell anyone ELSE on 400 hours of Star Wars  before the first episode drops...the Biz just doesnt and CANT work that way.

The only VERY remote possibilities for 400 hours committed up front would be if George were to START HIS OWN NETWORK...and if he were planning that he'd have to well underway by now and we'd know it; networks dont just appear overnight...

OR if he planned to BUY/TAKEOVER an already existing network...now that he might be able to pull off fast enough...and could probably raise the $,$$$,$$$,$$$ for but he'd have to literally bet the Ranch on it...I wonder if hes willing to gamble THAT high on this new series?

I expect 100 hours...possibly another 100 or spinoffs later...that still leaves a great deal of 'room' for many exciting angles of the SW universe to be revealed and I look forward very eagerly to that...
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:54:51 AM »
100hours 400 hours, However long the series could be is good for me 8) wait with hope we will...

Right now I'm just hoping to get my 2 hours of Clone wars this year :D

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
It seems to me people were going on a while back about how there was no way George was going to just roll into Hollywood and get a Clone Wars Cartoon picked up for regular T.V. Silly George.... Yet in one day near the end of last year he sold the rights to Spike T.V. to run all six SW Movies, sold the rights to Hasbro for the FX Lightsabers and Cartoon Network and TNT both picked up the Clone Wars series...... that's 2 networks. I think the check he took to the bank that day was somewhere around 780 million dollars...... ( I wonder if he went out to dinner that night? ) .... I don't think George has to bet anything to make the things happen that he wants to make happen. I think he can make T.V. work anyway he wants to..... as for the 400 hours of live action Star Wars.... that probably comes from the interview with Rick Mccullum in Star Wars Insider where he talked about 2 or 3 spin off shows that would follow after the first show gets rolling......Star Wars might as well be spelled Cash Money because it is and every T.V. executive in Hollywood is going to want as much of that as they can get........

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:38:24 AM »
IMO, I don't give a flying fark how much Lucas is continually making. I say, let him make a trillion and more if we can get more Star Wars movies or tv.

For those of you who are disgusted at the money made by Lucas. There is always Battlestar Galactica, Firefly or Star Trek that needs your support.

I, for one, just want more Star Wars. Movies, CG cartoon and live actions! 100 hours, 400 hours, the more the merrier. I haven't add, I also want more SW toys, games, prop replicas, tshirts, model kits and whatever collectibles I can afford.

B

Offline Shadeslinger

• Master Force User
  • "I will consume your soul before this day is done"
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
It's kinda a long shot, but I wonder if story elements of the TV show will coinicide with some from The Force Unleashed game. Given the time frame and all...

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »
I felt the Jedis in Unleashed to be too superhuman. Scares me to think they might head for the Superman (Matrix style) with Force powers because a shot of the Unleash video had one Jedi floating, yikes!

B

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 08:16:45 AM »
I felt the Jedis in Unleashed to be too superhuman. Scares me to think they might head for the Superman (Matrix style) with Force powers because a shot of the Unleash video had one Jedi floating, yikes!

B
Luke floats in ESB so what does that mean........

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »

B
Luke floats in ESB so what does that mean........

You sure?

B

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
Well..... he floats rocks..... :D and Yoda floats an Xwing........ is it such a leap to think a Jedi could float him, her, or it's self?.........

retrousse