fiduciary

Author Topic: FX-SABERS Graflex LUKE ANH REVIEW by Count Dooku  (Read 8153 times)

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
FX-SABERS Graflex LUKE ANH REVIEW by Count Dooku
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:33:55 PM »
It's late and this is what I have so far......

Photos of these and the Mace RoTS to come tommorow

Luke ANH Graflex FX Review

by Count Dooku

"This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."
Obi Wan Kenobi
Star Wars : A New Hope
Prologue/Overview.
Those would be the words that a generation would come to know that would stand for one of the most iconic weapons in the history of Cinema and would ignite the imaginations of movie goers for years wondering when they would be able to relive thier favorite lightsaber battles. The weapon however did not start out as such, no the orgins of this movie icon infact came from a Graflex 3-Cell Camera Flash which was popular with photographers in the 1940's era.
Now,thru hardwork, dedication and the will to construct one of the most accurate and duelable Lightsabers in the collectable arena,comes along the LUKE ANH GRAFLEX FX Saber. The lightsaber is constructed from a graflex replica that is 100% accurate to the hilt style that would have been available to film makers, and an eye to detail to recreate the same details that would be available on the Limited edition Saber. The thing that sets the Graflex Saber apart from others that have come before it, is the detail which has been put into the craftsmanship and the ability to duel with your FX without fear of blowing an LED or worse. In order to recreate the authentic look of the white core, we have used a special blade film which gives off a more cored look to the blade and recreates that familar lightsaber blade we have all grown up seeing. The Graflex uses a 3w Luxeon Bulb which is more intense then a traditional LED and is infinately more durable as well. However, because of a signal bulb, the ladder effect is sacraficed infavor of duelability and a removeable blade.
The FX-Sabers Exclusive Luke ANH Graflex FX Saber is one Saber that should be added to any serious saber fan's collection and the second you ignite that blue blade and see the white core, you'll hear old Ben Kenobi's voice in your ears as if he was standing next to you.

Hilt:
There are a few differences between this hilt and the Elite Edition offered by Master Replicas, most noticably the number of bubbles on the slide switch and the small ring which goes around the middle of the blade. However upon inspection of it, the Graflex is as accurate as you can get with an FX type saber and not pay an outrageous fortune. The comparison which will immediately be drawn is how much larger or smaller it is in comparison to the Anakin ROTS and the Luke ESB.
This is where this Saber really has a chance to stand out,especially when it comes to compartive size. The Graflex is smaller then the Anakin and definately more bottom heavy, which seems to lend more of a real world feel to the weapon. The Graflex also is smaller around then the Anakin ROTS making it easier to wield then traditional FX Saber. As you can guess, the Graflex is also noticably smaller then the Luke ESB FX from the previous generations of FX Sabers.
The Hilt also has the neat little things like a movable slide on the hilt and a working flick switch which also acts a way to access the battery compartment. The hilt actually comes apart into two different pieces and that is how you access the battery compartment. You are using a high wattage bulb and can actually use a higher voltage battery in here, I personally use Enegizer E2 Lithiums for thier high voltage power output and especially long battery life especially on a device like this.

Another aspect on this hilt, is the ease of which it actually handles in a duel. This is one saber that can take a fair degree of abuse and still keep on ticking during a fight. You can safely duel with your luxeon a little harder then your typicial FX .The ease of the push button activiator on the rear red button is also easy to flick on and off during the fight which can be a boon and a hinderance if not properly mastered to thier own liking. The Hilt is very solid and the vibrations that are detected during a duel are reduced enough to set off the sensor and not cause any sound issues whatsoever, as a matter of fact I believe, the Luke ANH is more accurate with swings then other sabers at times.

Blade:
This is the thing which makes a luxeon stand apart from other FX Sabers and other such innovations like EL, and other lighting systems.The unique aspect of the Luke ANH is the corbin film and the Royal Blue Luxeon LED in the hilt. The way that corbin film evenly distributes the light inside the blade is something which truly has to be experienced in person to really put it into words. The Film creates a laser cored effect just like the movies and it's an amazing adaption to the world of luxeon sabers to have such an evently lit blade as most blades seem to suffer from uneven lighting conditions. As always a mirror is installed in the tip to redirect any light from the hilt which would bulb or bulge to which custom sabers are ascustomed to doing. The Luke ANH is easily the most evenly lit and best display blades I have ever seen on a custom lightsaber. The combination of the blade film and the choice of LED really makes this saber stand out in terms of accuracy to the movies colors and will really stand up to analyzation. The royal blue of the saber is different from the sky blue of the Luke ESB and the cobalt blue of the Anakin ROTS and the aqua-ish color of the Anakin AOTC models.
The blade is also quite durable but I would recommend upgrading to a thicker walled blade in case you wish to do any seriously heavy dueling, and I am talking going ALL out and taking no prisoners, but the stock blade is excellent for the type of dueling you would already be comfortable doing.

Sound:
The sound of the snap hiss of a lightsaber is something everyone knows as soon as it's heard and it triggers many different memories and ideas.
The Sounds of this jedi lightsaber are from the Anakin ROTS but with a new speaker hole system designed into the hilt to allow for max levels of saber loudness.The design of the new speaker holes do allow for a very loud set of sound to come from the battery pack. The Hilt design does allow for appropiate motion and hit detetction to go and it sounds as good as any FX currently on the market.

Closing thoughts:
This is the Saber to which all customs and graflex replicas should be placed up against. This is my first luxeon saber and I believe that I got the best example of custom lightsaber work outside of MR and definately a worth addition to my lightsaber collection. The first time I swung this saber around, I could hear Obi Wan telling me, my father wanted me to have this when I was old enough. The Luke ANH graflex is an FX-Sabers.com exclusive is definately worth checking out and will impress anyone who sees you ignite the saber and wield it with the power and respect it demands.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 07:02:43 PM by Yoda »

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Gnosis

• Master Force User
    • This week in geek
Re: PENDING LUKE ANH REVIEW so far
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:03:41 PM »
I am working on this still and should have it finished by the weekend if all goes as planned

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Gnosis

• Master Force User
    • This week in geek
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 10:28:42 PM »
Not going as planned
I have my no access to my desktop and am using the Mac right now and all my main files on there

However, the review will be done when the heat wave we are experiencing a break in the wave

Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 10:44:23 PM »
A great start for your review Count :)

One question? how can there be a heat wave in Canada :D

I thought it was always cold or raining :D

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 06:49:53 AM »
It will be a great review and I can't wait to see it with the pictures.  8)

@ Yoda : No, it's been VERY warm all over this country as well as being very warm all the way in Canada. Scientists have said this is the hottest the Earth has been in 2,000 years. I have always said that Global Warming is a very real threat and the weather as of late seems to be proof of this. I remember watching a weather forcast a few days ago and all the way in Maine it was almost 90 degrees.  :o  :-\

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Gnosis

• Master Force User
    • This week in geek
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:24:30 PM »
It's been easily 110 with the humidex during the day, and at night is about the only relief that we get

So in that honor, I'll modify my review and hopefully complete it as best I can tonight and do principal photography next week when the heat breaks

Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Gnosis

• Master Force User
    • This week in geek
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 11:17:22 PM »
Review is done

Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »
Are you going to add pictures to that wonderful review ;D

I'm Happy your enjoying your saber Count.

Most who've bought them are discriminating saber enthusiasts and appreciate the extra work I've put into these.
I'm happy to have fullfilled yours and others Graflex needs 8)

Add picts ;)

Offline Gnosis

• Master Force User
    • This week in geek
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »
I'd like to add pictures But if you want to take them and get the review up that much faster then please do so

This review is ready to go into the fourms and then on the front page with whatever picutures are appropiate.
Due to the heat, I am not able to get to my desktop and take pictures from my digital camera

However, I am VERY pleased with my graflex, now I want a Luke ESB and the Vader ROTJ

Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 08:03:59 PM »
Oh wow i a graflex Vader rotj would be amazing, i always liked that hilt even tho most say it is the ugliest, i thought it looked menacing

And very good review Count Dooku, i too would like to see some pics to go with it and i know our members would really like to see pics of this thing. If you or Yoda could get em up thatd be awesome.

Offline Gnosis

• Master Force User
    • This week in geek
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »
Hopefully more reviews to come likely gonna do

Mace ROTS luxeon

Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 11:20:54 PM »
Hey Count
Did you do this with Picts for the General Forum?
I only find it in here...
Picts would compliment this well :D

Offline Gnosis

• Master Force User
    • This week in geek
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 11:23:51 PM »
I'd love to do pics BUT the heat wave is limiting access to desktop

If you'd like to do some photos and use these as backups I have a few

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/morpheuszero/FX%20Sabers%20Direc/

and here
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/morpheuszero/Jedi%20Fire/

and here
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/morpheuszero/Sabers/

search thru them and see what you can find

Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
Re: FX-SABERS Graflex LUKE ANH REVIEW by Count Dooku
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 07:03:44 PM »
Ahh finally the picts :D

The Luxeons look great on camera as well 8)
Both The Graflex and Mace Brightness came out nicely in some of those shots :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 07:06:06 PM by Yoda »

Offline Kyle Katarnn

• Formerly know as Kyle Katarn
  • Master Force User
  • The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestable, Solo.
Re: FX-SABERS Graflex LUKE ANH REVIEW by Count Dooku
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 07:05:53 PM »
Yes indeed, I like the way it looks with the FX-Sabers stand.

retrousse