fiduciary

Author Topic: My first Graflex... On it's way to an FX Luxeon!  (Read 21010 times)

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
Re: My first Graflex... On it's way to an FX Luxeon!
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 08:07:24 PM »
Yeah I'm real tight with the fun money.  :D
But you're right, it takes time, and patience, which I'm cool with.

Just with this clamp, I'm amazed at how cool this saber is even without any lights n' sounds n' blades!
So it only get's better from here!  Which is pretty amazing in its own right!

It'll be super sweet when I get better rubber grips, a D-Ring and a glass button.

Ah and then all the cool electronics!!!!  8)

As to the crystal chamber, it is UBER cool, no doubts there!  But it's not something I need for my saber.
I want a bright saber and my understaning is that the power needed for the brighter saber won't allow for the crystal chamber, and I'm totally fine with that... For now...  :D

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 06:56:16 AM »
Well Baena you may have missed the changes.  It appears and I say appears because Yoda still needs to test the batteries out but it looks like we will get the crystal with the lux v.  we should know in less than two weeks.  as for no crystal you still need something to fill the void but i think yoda said it is a type of modular chassis that you could add on to later.  but I don't think the crystal will be more than about 25 dollars.  just a guess here we'll have to see.

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 11:44:25 AM »
Whoa... You have 1138 posts...!  ;D

Thanks for the added info!
I just might try for a crystal chamber after all!
Definitely going for the chassis Yoda's putting together!  ;)

Thanks!  and congrats on the 1138th post!

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »
Progress is being made on this hilt finally!  Patience is paying off!
US 2.0 soundcard? Check!
Yoda's crystal core chassis?  On it's way!

Just need an adapter, batteries, the LuxV and a handful of details on the hilt and I'm almost there!  ;D

Oh, and I'm gonna need a blade at some point.  8)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 11:27:09 AM »
Yeah you are finally moving along.  I told you it would go by fast.  Anytime you get stuck just shout.  Can't wait to see you dive into it.

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 01:38:12 PM »
Thanks Luke, you and Yoda have been such HUGE helps in all this.
My parts list is shrinking, I still have a number of key components I still need to get but the big stuff is out of the way now.
(Chassis and soundboard)

The other parts are more reasonable prices for the wife to swallow. Hahaha! So I should be able to pick things up more regularly... My soldering finger is getting itchy!!!  ;D (still need batts, adapter/holder, LuxV Blue LED, lens, momentary switch, glass eye retention screw and a blade.)

It was fun, at Halloween, my daughter dressed up as Ahsoka, she used one of Ultra's little initiate kits as her saber, had so much fun with it that she broke a connection to the switch.  So I was able to do some basic practice on the soldering of the fine wires and such back onto the switch, put it back together and BAM! Success... great fun in practice for my real deal right here.  (this happened before halloween, I got it fixed in time for Halloween thankfully!)

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »
For starters, big apologies on the double post, but seeing as there's more than a month between this and my last post, I hope it's forgivable.  :)

I just put in some big orders for this lightsaber! My itchy soldering finger will soon be appeased!

Just bought the speaker, new graflex pins, a tool for those, luxeon collimator 10 deg. and a holder for that, the Graflex Shop adapter and a glass eye thubscrew.  Movie accurate grips and bubble strip. (Nothing against parks, but I like the seven bubble strip over the "half end bubbles".) Batteries and charger, and as I sent in my USB 2.1 upgrade, I also ordered an Ultra edge white poly blade! *whew* Cha ching!!!  :D

I'm a bit bummed the TCSS is out of Lux V blue LEDs right now, so I'll have to be patient there, or order one from somewhere else... Thing is, I like giving my business to the sabersmiths where I can.  ;) So I suppose I'll wait on the one piece that will really bring the magic to life for this saber.

SO excited!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:24:55 AM by Baena »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »
Cool B I can't wait to see you dig into this project.  And no issue with the double post.  :D  I don't know the official rule but this would IMO be considered a BUMP.  IMO even a day is worthy of a bump for an update. :D

I am a bit confused though.  Didn't you get a Yoda chassis?   Don't they come with the graflex blade holder?   ???

***EDIT***

Just noticed the CF comes with the blade holder.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:40:56 PM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
***EDIT***

Just noticed the CF comes with the blade holder.

:D You got it!
The CF has a special addition I believe on the adapter that Yoda does so it will accommodate the kill switch? Or a second button? Or something to that effect.  Whereas the UltraSB only requires the one button.  8)

Yeah, just looking at the Star Wars Visual Dictionary with the split in half Skywalker saber, I can see where Yoda pulled inspiration even for the transparent blue pieces he added on the Ultra Chassis version #2. (which is what  I got, I know I still need to post pics... They'll come!) 

I really couldn't be happier with the chassis!

I caved too and bought a blue LuxV  from another site. I just can't wait to get it all and mess it up! LOL!  ;D
Got a few weeks though now as I'm in the same boat as all the others that did the UltraSB 2.1 upgrade.  ;)
But just a couple weeks to a month is not a long wait considering how long I've already had this hilt in the works.
Patience is paying off!  ;D

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 12:26:36 PM »
It's been over 120 days since my last reply here, so says the forums warning as I post this... and over two years since I started this thread!

I am happy to report all that's left on this puppy, is the Ultra Sound Board 2.5, and a blade, and maybe some accent LEDs (gotta figure out where to put 'em) and this ANH Graflex Lightsaber will be LIVE!!!
The board and blade is in the mail right now, I should have it tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

I'm very excited to finally finish this, I'll be sure to write up a review on the Yoda Graflex Chassis that is in it holding this all together and making it feel that much more REAL.  8)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:33:09 PM by Baena »

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 01:28:53 PM »
Wow.  Old thread, indeed.  This is an interesting hybrid of the ANH and the ESB sabers - notice the lack of the glass eye, which has been swapped out for another Graflex button (like in ESB) - not to mention the covertech knob - yet, it has the ANH grips.  Strange.  But it's a nice, Episode 4.5 saber - like it might have appeared in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. 

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »
Wow.  Old thread, indeed.  This is an interesting hybrid of the ANH and the ESB sabers - notice the lack of the glass eye, which has been swapped out for another Graflex button (like in ESB) - not to mention the covertech knob - yet, it has the ANH grips.  Strange.  But it's a nice, Episode 4.5 saber - like it might have appeared in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. 

Yeah that's how it came to me, I can't complain though when I got it for $35.  Held together with duct tape!  :D lol!
Since then I've made it ANH authentic so to speak.  Got a glass eye blade retaining screw.  Got new grips that fortunately covered the screw hole for the covertec knob.  Got a clamp, and the 7 bubble, bubble strip etc.  over two years of patience will soon finally pay off!

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
$35.00?!?!   :o  That's amazing - even if you did have to mess with it.  Still it's an amazing price.

I fully expect to see a video of this when it's done.  ;)

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
I just went back and read my first post in this thread.  Wow I've learned a lot.

Yeah, at $35, I couldn't pass on it.  I've always been hung up on getting a graflex because of the price for the shell alone.  But now having one, $150 is easily worth it.  So this shell was my "introduction into a larger world".  8)

I actually hope to do an MKIII Obi Wan LED saber someday, and so when I have a spare $225 I'll get one from Parks.  But the days of having that kind of spare cash are few and FAR between.

Over the years though I've just gotten a part here and a part there, saving up for things and getting them when I could.  It's been an awesome project for that.  And it's soon to be completed.

I hadn't planned on a video, but with the sound and possible accent LEDs I hope to customize into Yoda's chassis (thank the USB2.5 upgrade!)... I may have to do a video for the review after all.  ;D

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »
Excellent.  I'm considering moving my Luke ANH's guts into a vintage shell - that might be interesting.  Lol.  This hobby just devours money left and right.

retrousse