fiduciary

Author Topic: Chewie's Obi-Wan ROTS Force FX Review.  (Read 9827 times)

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
Chewie's Obi-Wan ROTS Force FX Review.
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »
obi-Wan Kenobi RoTS Force Fx Lightsaber Review
By Chewbacca

Well, I waited long enough.
I have put off getting the Obi-Wan again and again, always finding something else to spend my money on and never quite getting around to ordering one.
I have read all the rave reviews, telling how flawless the blade is and how this is the best Jedi FX yet.
To cut a long story short, I eventually caved in and last friday I ordered my Obi-Wan.
I was hoping to recieve it yesterday (monday) but the long wait for the delivery truck bore no fruit and I went to bed hoping for it to arrive today.  :'(

I had a busy morning and had just returned home after attending a job interview and was just logging on here when I heard a knock at the door.
I hadn't heard a truck pull up, but still rushed to the door.
The delivery guy was just about to get back in his truck! He must have knocked and ran away!
Anyhow, I called him back and my patience began to wear thin as he fumbled with paperwork, unable to find the right place for me to sign.
C'mon, dude, give me the saber already!  >:(
He finally found the correct document and I hastily scrawled my autograph.
At last he handed me that familiar 'long box' with the MR logo on it.   8)

A bit of quick work with a knife and out slid the inner box. It seemed smaller than previous ones, but perhaps I am just getting used to them now!

I cut the tape on the inner box and had the saber out in about three seconds flat!

The Hilt:

I was immediatly impressed with the finish of the hilt. Whilst not as pretty as the Anakin ROTS, it is a solid and shiny looking piece.
The gold does not look as cheap as I expected it to be, and the little indentations around the end of the emitter are a really nice touch. The black parts are very solid and not at all plastic looking, as I had expected them to be. They were also nicely rounded and I immediatly felt comfortable with the feel of the grip.
The end cap is very solid and the chroming is nice. It allows the battery pack to protrude more from the end of the saber than on previous models, but fits firmly in place and does not feel as though it will break easily.
A few experimental spins showed me immediatly how well the saber is balanced and again, I felt that this saber has a very comfortable and familiar feel to it.
The ignition switch is well placed, and is easy to use, but it is not easy to turn this saber off by accident due to the nature of the switch.  :o 8/10

The Sound:

Switching the saber on, the sounds cut through the air. Loud and clear, none of the static noise that plagues some sabers. Comparing it with my Ani ROTS, it does seem to be a touch quieter, but the sounds are still loud enough to be clear (and scare the cat).
The motion detectors appear to be very accurate, and do not repeat as often as my Ani does, giving more variety and a more satisfactory lightsaber experience.
The shock sensor is a little too sensitive to my tastes, but not so sensitive that it triggers just from spinning, as my Luke ROTJ does.
The only downside is of course, the reused generic Jedi sounds. It really would be nice if each saber had it's own sounds, but that doesn't appear to be very high on MR's priority list.
Overall a thumbs up, though not a distinct improvement on previous sounds.  :o 7/10

The Blade:

This is quite simply the best saber blade MR are to produce yet! Of course I haven't seen the Yoda or new Vader FXs up close yet so I could be wrong, but it is the best I have seen yet and if you want a blue blade, this is the one to have!
I cannot see a single flaw in my example, and I haven't even got new batteries in it!
The evenness of the lighting is superb, better even than the Ani, and I think this may be a saber to keep stock, and not convert to lux.  :o  8) 10/10

Here are some pics of the saber in the light/semi light/dark:

Overall I am very impressed with this lightsber. The blade is the best yet, and the quality control seems to have been very good. The overall finish is excellent, and the only downside I can see is tha the sounds are re-used again.
I haven't really had chance to play with the saber yet, as I only got it about 10 minutes before I started to write this review, but I can see this one getting a lot of use! 
I can't wait for it to get dark tonight!  ;D

You were my brother, Ani. i loved you.

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
  • ...you know, as in Kill Bill?
Re: Chewie's Obi-Wan ROTS Force FX Review.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »
Nice review. I pretty much agree with all points you made about this saber.

Since you plan on handling it alot, I'd take care, since the black paint really has a tendency to flake off as it has done on mine.

Doesn't bother me as much anymore, as it gives it sorta that "weathered" look to it anyway...

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »
I think I would have preferred it if MR had made this a weathered ANH saber anyway, killphil, but thanks for the tip.  :)

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:53:58 AM »
Excellent review Chewbacca! Glad you like your new saber it really is a quallity peice, especially the hilt :D

Unfortunatly mine seems to have bad wiring somewhere and flashes on and off sometimes when it clashes, hope yours doesnt develope the same problem!
"...the galaxy was littered with the body parts of those
who had underestimated the strength of Luke Skywalker."

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
Sorry to hear that, JF.  :(
I know the suffering that a faulty FX can cause!  :'(

Is the flashing only when the saber sustains an impact?
Does it make the 'power up' sound when it flashes?
Try pushing firmly on the speaker grille whilst striking against something hard enough to make the clash sound trigger.
See if the fault occurs then.
If it doesn't, this may indicate that the battery pack is a bit loose in the hilt.
If the battery pack does not fit firmly against the three little contacts inside the hilt, it can lose contact and cause the saber to cut out for a second.
This happened to my Ani ROTS once, and I cured it by moving the entire sound card holder down towards the pommel by a few mm.
You may be able to fix the problem by putting a spacer in between the pommel cap and the battery holder.

It could also be that the cap just needs to screwed up tighter.

Anyway, hope I don't get that problem with the Obi-Wan.
It was a pain in the neck moving that sound card holder in the Ani.

I am very impressed by the brightness and evenness of the blade on the Obi-Wan.  :o
So far I love this saber.
The sun is just beginning to go down.
It'll be playtime soon.  ;)

Offline Goffa

• Force User
  • "An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:58:40 AM »
Nice review, Chewie.  I got my Obi back in August and I love it, it's a great saber and imo the brightest blue blade MR has made on an FX to date.

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 12:05:18 PM »
I agree. It is very bright and even.
No dark spot like I had with my Ani.
I think the quality of the FX line has really improved over the years.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:20:56 PM »
Excellent review Chewie, you really made a superb review. It's one of those reviews that I love reading with a hot cup of coffee  ;). Very nice indeed and good pics. By the way as you're English and I know you got sense of humor, (my relatives live in the U.K by the way, Petersborough), anyway I wanna sing to you "Ba-ba-da, Ba-ba-da, Ba-da-da-ba, ba-da, We’re flying the flag all over the world - Flying the flag for you", hahaha  :D, just kidding. Excellent review   :-*

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »
Nice review man.

Offline Ulic Qel-Droma

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 01:27:45 PM »
By the way as you're English and I know you got sense of humor, (my relatives live in the U.K by the way, Petersborough), anyway I wanna sing to you "Ba-ba-da, Ba-ba-da, Ba-da-da-ba, ba-da, We’re flying the flag all over the world - Flying the flag for you", hahaha  :D, just kidding. Excellent review   :-*

And to think we could have had Morrissey instead. Anyway great review Chewie, and some nice pics.

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 01:35:23 PM »
By the way as you're English and I know you got sense of humor, (my relatives live in the U.K by the way, Petersborough), anyway I wanna sing to you "Ba-ba-da, Ba-ba-da, Ba-da-da-ba, ba-da, We’re flying the flag all over the world - Flying the flag for you", hahaha  :D, just kidding. Excellent review   :-*

And to think we could have had Morrissey instead. Anyway great review Chewie, and some nice pics.

Ha ha! Lol!  :D

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Chancellor, you are correct, the English sense of humour derives mostly from poking fun at ourselves!

Offline Jedi Tom

• Padawan Learner
  • Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker is.
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 03:33:48 PM »
Thats a mad review man, i liked the pics and most of all i liked the pics of the hilt that was awesome man very well done.

I like the way you describe curtains parts of the saber before you gave us a rating.

Oh yer one more thing, congrats, i will probably get the Obi Wan as my nest saber. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:41:22 PM by JEDI TOM »

Offline vivan_cygna

• formerly known as Vivan Cygna
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 04:09:53 AM »
Hei, I just saw this.
Congrats on finally having the best in FX line (IMO).
Excellent review, too.  ;)
Eat all the bacon!

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 05:31:48 AM »
Hei, I just saw this.
Congrats on finally having the best in FX line (IMO).
Excellent review, too.  ;)

I agree that the blade is the best from MR yet, but the hilt is not that accurate or even attractive, IMO.
I must confess that the hilt has 'grown on' me since I have had it, but it is never going to be my favourite FX hilt.
I much prefer the Ani ROTS hilt. I wonder if the LED strip from the Obi could be put in the Ani? That would make the ultimate FX, IMO. I may have to try it at some point.  ;)

Thanks for the compliments on the review, guys. I have a few more reviews that I would like to write yet. Will get around to it soon.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 06:51:37 AM »
I too have thought about simply changing out the Obi-Wan blade and putting it in the Anakin.

Why don't you try PM'ing Ultra? I am sure that he has the stock LED strip and diffuser from converting the Obi-Wan's. ;)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

retrousse