fiduciary

Author Topic: 1st Build Troubleshooting: Mp3 Player  (Read 318 times)

Offline JGattonII

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
1st Build Troubleshooting: Mp3 Player
« on: October 09, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »
Hi all!  While I have been working with static hilts and such for a little while, I finally decided to dive into the fX realm.  I am currently in the process of trying to setup my first DIYino running SaberOS.  I have successfully loaded the software to my nano, calibrated my MPU6050 and have it currently wired as a two switch setup - running a single neopixel strip off of a 5v 1.5 amp AC/DC converter for bench testing.  When turned on, the strip lights up as it should and I can access the various settings/menus to change color, flicker type, etc. so it would seem like that part is working great.  My issue, however, is that I can't get my mp3 player to work correctly.  I can hear a slight humming through the speaker and can even hear clicks as I access the various settings menus and such so I know that it's at least getting power but I'm at a loss for how to tell what to try next.  Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: 1st Build Troubleshooting: Mp3 Player
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 01:54:54 AM »
How are you powering the dfplayer?  It needs to be connected directly to your power source if you are using a breadboard or peeing it through your Arduino it may not power up properly.

If you connect a wire to ground and tap one of the "ADKey" pins a sound should play.  If not either the sd card isn't formatted properly or the dfplayer is not being powered properly.

Offline JGattonII

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 12:44:08 PM »
Thank you for the reply jbkuma!  While I don't actually have a breadboard at the moment (new to all of this) I do have the dfplayer connected directly to my 5v power source and all connections are soldered. 

Actually, after my OP I decided to even wire up a second power supply so that I could power my nano/mpu through a separate one altogether. 

With that said, your troubleshooting advice is exactly what I was hoping someone would provide, i.e. how to tell if my dfplayer was even working correctly.  I'll definitely give all of that a shot and report back with the findings.

Offline JGattonII

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 05:24:05 PM »
Hi @jbkuma.  After isolating the DFPlayer to its own power source I then connected SPK_1 & SPK_2 directly to my speaker.  By touching ground to the one of the ADKey pins, I am able to clearly hear the words "sound font" coming from my speaker while grounding the other ADKey pin makes a harmonious beep- type sound. 

Afterwards, I began trying to tie in to the nano.  I ran branches from SPK_1 & SPK_2 to nano pins A6 & A7 respectively, then connected DFP_RX to pin D8 & DFP_TX to pin D7.  Unfortunately, however, when I power up my nano/MPU, there is still no saberOS-initiated sound coming through the speaker (although I am still able to make it emit the "sound font" and beep sounds from temp grounding ADKey pins).  Any ideas on next steps?   

Offline JGattonII

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
So I may have identified my issue.  It seems that there are many modules being sold as DFPlayer Mini's via Amazon right now that have a different chip that does not interact w/ Arduino's serial communication like they should.  While I found some information on how to make them work w/ Arduino's in general (untested obviously), I am nowhere near experienced enough to understand if there's some way to make them work w/ SaberOS in particular.  In case anyone would like to take a look, I'll post a link to the review w/ instructions: https://amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R38HBSUUX2VI3Z/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07Y2YKYRS [nofollow].

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 05:11:49 AM »
Unfortunately there is but a practical way to do this. It's possible but either require a ton of work and I think it's safe to guess there will be other issues that keep it from working properly.

The chip should be labeled as a YX5200.  Unfortunately that isn't a 100% indicator since knock off companies know that too.

You can buy the authentic boards either from DFRobot https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1121.html or the chip manufacturer Flyrontech https://m.aliexpress.com/storesearch/list/.html?spm=a2g0n.storecategory.0.0.6634b752fWWwCi&sceneId=040000&sellerAdminSeq=220345777&sortType=TC3_D&groupId=258469540&storeId=1453184

retrousse