fiduciary

Author Topic: TeensySaber newbie thread  (Read 14638 times)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: TeensySaber newbie thread
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 04:22:03 PM »
Don't you have to add override or leds or the other things to make the saber work?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
Don't you have to add override or leds or the other things to make the saber work?

Yes, you have to configure the teensysaber software so that it know how everything is hooked up, and how you want things to look, but none of that stuff goes on the SD card.
The teensy has it's own memory where the software and configuration is stored.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 06:26:32 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ok all I have to do is add the sound fonts?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ok all I have to do is add the sound fonts?

Yes, that's all that you need to put on the SD card.
You may also want to put some background sound tracks on the SD card.

The rest is done by changing the configuration file and then using the arduino program to upload the software and configuration to the teensy.

Offline Anvil

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 03:11:39 PM »
So since I'm going neopixel setup with my teensy build Im considering doing two batteries in parallel for the run time. (if i can afford the space that is). Is there any restriction to the battery specs i can use? like would they both need to be 10A drain or higher? or could i combine two different kinds of 3.7 18650 cells? and can they still maintain their configuration with the PCB or would i need to modify them in any way other than just wiring them together?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
So since I'm going neopixel setup with my teensy build Im considering doing two batteries in parallel for the run time. (if i can afford the space that is). Is there any restriction to the battery specs i can use? like would they both need to be 10A drain or higher? or could i combine two different kinds of 3.7 18650 cells? and can they still maintain their configuration with the PCB or would i need to modify them in any way other than just wiring them together?

The cells needs to be the same. The current draw won't be as high per cell, but I would still recommend 10A cells I think. You shouldn't need to do anything but wire them together.

Offline Anvil

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 06:04:35 AM »
Cool, thanks!

Ok had another idea for a feature id like to try and implement.  How would i go about making a sort of crystal chamber display mode? I was looking at one of Shtoke's sabers last night (his latest custom KAM) and he had a cool setup i think would be sweet to make possible. So essentially he made it so when he removed the emitter to reveal the crystal (breaking the connection to the LED's) it automatically loaded a sound font (i believe its calibrate by madcow) that made the hum sound into sort of a "singing crystal" noise... and all the ingnite/retraction and lockup/blaster sounds into electronic beeps and pulses and such. It would be really cool to make a sort of "diagnostic mode" load up somehow if the teensy detects that the blade is out or you have a blade plug ID in the emitter...
so you could show off the chassis and crystal chamber with interactive noises and maybe some cool "temperature readings" or sort of "equilzer" looking display on the OLED screen.

Like youd put the blade plug in and it would load a calibration sound font and the boot sound would play (or same thing with the kill key)... could be neat to make it so a selection of random noises or servo motor sounds or something could randomly play on loop. then the power button could "wake up" the crystal" ... playing the "crystal noise" for the hum. (maybe somehow using smoothswing v2 to play more different electronic or servo sounds depending on how its oriented)  and then it could be cool to display different sort of faux readouts on the OLED for the aux button and lockup imputs.

It would be so awesome to have a sound font selection menu (maybe this could be loaded if you dont have a blade plug or anything in the emitter) that would keep you in the "crystal chamber display mode" sound font while you scroll through your configurations... then load the selected sound font/ color profile after it detects that you "reassemble" the saber for use with a blade. or close the saber to hide the crystal chamber ( could be achieved maybe if the teensy can do this if it can detect no blade) I dunno. just an idea :)

Offline miib123

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
Profezzorn:

I would like to remix your graflex chassis holder. Due to slightly different hardware used, i need to lengthen the battery compartment a little bit. Mine hardware just don't fit inside original chassis that well. Could you please provide me the original 3D file of that part? I'm talking about the "chassis2_part23" file (not .stl).

Thank you very much!

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Cool, thanks!

Ok had another idea for a feature id like to try and implement.  How would i go about making a sort of crystal chamber display mode? I was looking at one of Shtoke's sabers last night (his latest custom KAM) and he had a cool setup i think would be sweet to make possible. So essentially he made it so when he removed the emitter to reveal the crystal (breaking the connection to the LED's) it automatically loaded a sound font (i believe its calibrate by madcow) that made the hum sound into sort of a "singing crystal" noise... and all the ingnite/retraction and lockup/blaster sounds into electronic beeps and pulses and such. It would be really cool to make a sort of "diagnostic mode" load up somehow if the teensy detects that the blade is out or you have a blade plug ID in the emitter...
so you could show off the chassis and crystal chamber with interactive noises and maybe some cool "temperature readings" or sort of "equilzer" looking display on the OLED screen.

Like youd put the blade plug in and it would load a calibration sound font and the boot sound would play (or same thing with the kill key)... could be neat to make it so a selection of random noises or servo motor sounds or something could randomly play on loop. then the power button could "wake up" the crystal" ... playing the "crystal noise" for the hum. (maybe somehow using smoothswing v2 to play more different electronic or servo sounds depending on how its oriented)  and then it could be cool to display different sort of faux readouts on the OLED for the aux button and lockup imputs.

It would be so awesome to have a sound font selection menu (maybe this could be loaded if you dont have a blade plug or anything in the emitter) that would keep you in the "crystal chamber display mode" sound font while you scroll through your configurations... then load the selected sound font/ color profile after it detects that you "reassemble" the saber for use with a blade. or close the saber to hide the crystal chamber ( could be achieved maybe if the teensy can do this if it can detect no blade) I dunno. just an idea :)

All of this is possible with some coding.
I don't know if it's worth supporting without some coding though, as it's a pretty custom setup.
Some basics would be easy to implement though, like having a "button" which is connected to the crystal chamber door, and when it's activated (or not activated) the saber goes to a different set of presets.

Either way, I'm always willing to help with anything that isn't so custom that nobody else would want it. :)

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »
Profezzorn:

I would like to remix your graflex chassis holder. Due to slightly different hardware used, i need to lengthen the battery compartment a little bit. Mine hardware just don't fit inside original chassis that well. Could you please provide me the original 3D file of that part? I'm talking about the "chassis2_part23" file (not .stl).

Thank you very much!

It's all on thingiverse: Graflex 2.0 chassis by profezzorn - Thingiverse  (thing files->chassis2.scad)

Offline Anvil

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 11:45:52 AM »

I don't know if it's worth supporting without some coding though, as it's a pretty custom setup.
Some basics would be easy to implement though, like having a "button" which is connected to the crystal chamber door, and when it's activated (or not activated) the saber goes to a different set of presets.

Either way, I'm always willing to help with anything that isn't so custom that nobody else would want it. :)
[/quote]

Ok awesome, well i may have to do some planning on exactly how the flow of it would work and maybe see if i can get some video playback guys here at marvel to see if they can make some OLED display visuals for me :) 

But as just a shot in the dark as im just getting into configuring the board today and i dont know whats what yet... but is it possible to make a blade ID for having no blade in? and make that a preset with just the configuration sounds to star off with for this idea? I know you said you use your blade connection as your kill key so your wiring setup wouldnt be possible but would that work? Im sure i could do it with a blade plug with a specific blade ID but im just curious if there was a simple way to configure a "blade ID" for there being no blade connected. thanks again!

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »

Ok awesome, well i may have to do some planning on exactly how the flow of it would work and maybe see if i can get some video playback guys here at marvel to see if they can make some OLED display visuals for me :) 

But as just a shot in the dark as im just getting into configuring the board today and i dont know whats what yet... but is it possible to make a blade ID for having no blade in? and make that a preset with just the configuration sounds to star off with for this idea? I know you said you use your blade connection as your kill key so your wiring setup wouldnt be possible but would that work? Im sure i could do it with a blade plug with a specific blade ID but im just curious if there was a simple way to configure a "blade ID" for there being no blade connected. thanks again!

Well, it gets a little weird.
The code currently only checks blade ID on startup, which makes sense for my sabers because they turn off when the blade is removed.
If the saber turns on with out a blade inserted, then the blade ID is basically infinite resistance, so having a preset for that is super easy.
However, once a blade is inserted, the saber would have to be turned off and then on again to detect it unless we make some code changes. Shouldn't be *that* hard to do though.

As for visual fx for the oled: The only OLED display that is currently support is purely black-and-white (or blue-and-white) It's not even grayscale. Also, it's only 128x32 pixels, so the amount of detail that can be represented is pretty limited.

Offline TTFRAZ

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
Just looking into adding a fire style blade (single, not crossgaurd)
what is the best way to customize the settings? i see under crossgaurd_config.h all these diferent customized values. would i be able to copy and paste those CONFIG_PRESETS and put them in my own .h file and style be able to adjust the values even though i only have a single blade?
is there any easier way to do this?

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
Just looking into adding a fire style blade (single, not crossgaurd)
what is the best way to customize the settings? i see under crossgaurd_config.h all these diferent customized values. would i be able to copy and paste those CONFIG_PRESETS and put them in my own .h file and style be able to adjust the values even though i only have a single blade?
is there any easier way to do this?

You can just copy all the fireblade related defines from crossguard_config.h into your config, then use one FIRE1PTR(0,0)  (not three)  in your preset.
Let me know if you need help with that.

Offline miib123

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »
Hey,

is it possible to implement the SDfat.h library instead of SD.h? I just changed the SD adapter due to space limitations and stuff doesn't work now ("bank open failure").

I tested the sd card with SDinfo program on both libraries and SDfat.h worked great, when SD.h didn't even recognised
the card.

retrousse