fiduciary

Author Topic: My second Qui MRLE conversion...different this time...  (Read 6067 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
My second Qui MRLE conversion...different this time...
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »
This time I did all the machine work myself since the throat of my lathe is so large (can slide the entire saber in with the pommel off).

This was a different type than my last one and the same type as the one that Gill converted.

Since I like a 7/8th blade and think it matches this and the other sabers I have better that is what I went for.

This time I tried something for the very first time and threaded on my lathe.

What I did was take a solid 1" tube and machine it with a heatsink built in (like I did on the Trid Ani).  Then I hollowed out the other end to take the battery (or batteries depending on what board I use).  Then I threaded both ends of the rod and threaded the body of the saber and the emitter.  I am pretty proud of it since I have never done any threading before and it actually worked perfectly (not pretty and I learned what I did wrong while doing it).  The body screws on straight, its extremely sturdy and best of all there are no set screws or JBweld needed to hold it all together.

More than likely I am going with a CS and single 18650 because it will just be a display piece but I will see if I change my mind later and go with a CF.

Here are the pics I took.  I tried not to damage anything but I will have to repaint (PC) the neck and blade holder section as well as the emitter piece if I decide not to go bare AL on it because of some scrapes. 

Click for larger pics

Opening up the emitter:

Emitter opened up to 7/8th:

7/8th blade section test fit...nice and snug:

Opening up the tube on the emitter side for the blade and LED:

Threading the tube:

Using an end mill to flatten the backside of the body section I drilled out:

All screwed together nice and tight and no gaps:

Looking into the emitter with the tube screwed in.  You can see a step down at the bottom.  That is the blade stop to protect the LED module:

Starting to take it apart.  This is with the shroud off so you can see where the tube comes in:

Blade holder unscrewed:

Disassembled with the tube sitting there to show all the threaded sections:

Closer view of the same thing:

This shows the blade stop better:

This is the back side of the heatsink and where the battery will go:

Well that is it for now.  Once I decide on what I will be doing for sound I will start the install (more than likely a CS). I want it to look just like the LE prop with the exception of the blade hole so the speaker is going to fit in the tube for the battery (machined it out and used a small TCSS speaker).  I am going to have the recharge port under the screw in pommel.  I also want to make the red button the activation and not add any on the bottom like I did the last on (another reason for wanting it to be a CS).

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
Re: My second Qui MRLE conversion...different this time...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »
nice problem solving there with the threads!  I hope the clean look comes to fruition.

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »
Unicorn Qui Gon!

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:10:26 AM »
Now that's how you do it!  I don't know which I like more, the saber or the lathe.  Great stuff MH!

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
I love this conversion

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »
Very, VERY nice job my friend.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 08:40:55 AM »
Awesome work as usual. I love seeing a static MR or Larbel brought to life!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
Thanks everyone. 

Now that's how you do it!  I don't know which I like more, the saber or the lathe.  Great stuff MH!

LOL I know.  I love my new (used) lathe.  It was the best $1K purchase I have made in a LONG time (and was a steal at that price with all the tooling and extras).

Just for LOL here is a 7x12 chuck (same size as my last lathe) chucked in the new lathe without having to change the jaws around.  I have an adapter to use the small chuck (it has 3 cam locks that hold the chuck on the spindle...very easy to swap out) so NO I do not run it this way lol.  So far though I have not had to put the small chuck on since I have had it (got it in October of last year).

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:22 AM »
oh wow, for that price I'd have borrowed a lift gate truck and driven down to Alabama to pick it up!  and the lathe looks like it's in amazing shape.  I've been keeping an eye out for a big lathe myself, in hopes to find a deal like that. 

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »
Hahaha that's hilarious.

Wow. Man I thought I got a good used real but mine came with Nada. Aside from being 9x19 it's definitely USED.

That's awesome man!

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »
Very nice work...

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »

Same here!

I didn't know a used lathe could be so reasonable.

MH, you do incredible work. I hope you change your mind and give this the 'big boy' soundcard.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:15 AM »

Same here!

I didn't know a used lathe could be so reasonable.

MH, you do incredible work. I hope you change your mind and give this the 'big boy' soundcard.

Thanks...

The lathe was one I got from a co-worker, had I bought it from someone I didn't know I probably would have paid $4k or so for it and all the accessories.  Sometimes you run across good deals you just cant pass up.  He wanted to be able to park his truck back in his garage and that was more important than getting a lot of money for it.

It was a tough decision but since I want it to be just a prop that looks like the factory LE (minus the blade opening) I decided its best to stick with a CS.  Its a great board and for the purpose of this saber I do not need the extras of the CF nor do I want the extra buttons.

I may not even finish "this" one.  I have been contacted by someone and I may be selling the "kit" form of it as it is and let the customer do the install so it may wind up with a CF anyway depending on how he wants to go with it.

I will be doing another one for a friend though and I am not sure which way he wants to go.  So far he is thinking the same way I am with this one.

retrousse