fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul is back (Officially)  (Read 52861 times)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
Re: Darth Maul is back (Officially)
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
There are some subtle new visual clues of what Darth Maul will look like when he "comes back" in the new season of Clone Wars, and.....it seems that it is the cyborg option that is favored: it is neither a clone nor a ghost, he is older, mentally insane, he has the long gloves and the minerva that are those visible in Old Wounds, and I think that you can have a brief glimpse of his cyborg half (hips and legs) if you pause at the right time during the video presentation.

http://nerdbastards.com/2012/02/17/darth-maul-is-returning-on-clone-wars-meet-the-man-behind-the-sith/

Witwer does a good job with the voice! I love how he brought up that line the Son said about the chains and what goes on in your mind from the Mortis trilogy. (Especially since the Son was his character. ) I think this is gonna be awesome.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Formerly known as forcepractitioner
  • Master Force User
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
Yes indeed, his work on the voice is remarkable. :) The quotation sounded familiar to me as well ;)
I am only wondering how the fact that Maul survived will be explained...(there was a little debate some time ago about that, and I tackled three hypotheses: 1/clone 2/Force ghost 3/cyborg... and it seems that the third one is what prevailed for the new season of Clone Wars :-\ )

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
Yes indeed, his work on the voice is remarkable. :) The quotation sounded familiar to me as well ;)
I am only wondering how the fact that Maul survived will be explained...(there was a little debate some time ago about that, and I tackled three hypotheses: 1/clone 2/Force ghost 3/cyborg... and it seems that the third one is what prevailed for the new season of Clone Wars :-\ )

Well there was a non-canon story arc (I think it was in a comic) where Maul comes back looking for Obi-Wan. He finds Kenobi on Tatooine and they have a lightsaber duel. Maul was depicted the same as he is for this with the long horns and cyborg legs.

Here's Maul.

You can see he pretty much has the look we're going to see in March.

And here's the duel.

Now keep in mind what I said everybody. These pictures are NON-CANON are were depicted in a "What if" Star Wars story. However I'm sure some of this was used as the basis for the Maul's true return coming soon.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:20:13 PM by Machinimax »

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Master Force User
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
Yes, I know this picture  :D It is from the "Old Wounds" story in the Visionaries comic. ;)
My only concern is : how did he survive long enough to be surgically "reconstructed" and cybernetically "enhanced" like that. Someone must have helped him at some point... I find it difficult to imagine him in a state of shock with his severed and cauterized abdomen crawling all the way back from the bottom of the reactor shaft on Theed to his ship in order to escape...

At least, we can deduce what the wound inflicted on him by Obi-Wan was and what it wasn't : Maul's lungs must be intact, but he must have severe kydney and digestive dysfunction now  :-\ (he certainly can't eat in a normal way, and he must be equiped with some kind of device enabling him to evacuate waste...unless he found a way to assimilate nutrients directly by feeding his midichlorians lol)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:40:11 PM by forcepractitioner »

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
Yes, I know this picture  :D It is from the "Old Wounds" story in the Visionaries comic. ;)
My only concern is : how did he survive long enough to be surgically "reconstructed" and cybernetically "enhanced" like that. Someone must have helped him at some point... I find it difficult to imagine him in a state of shock with his severed and cauterized abdomen crawling all the way back from the bottom of the reactor shaft on Theed to his ship in order to escape...

I think those are some questions whose answers will have to wait until March... ;)

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Master Force User
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2012, 05:40:35 AM »
Some news....well, actually it's getting even worse than what I thought initially : it seems that Darth Maul will have cybernetic spider-like legs and that he will be amnesic because of a trauma to the head (how convenient! ::))...therefore this might just be a cheap come-back with no clear explanation... ::)

http://www.starwarsreport.com/2012/01/22/darth-mauls-return-to-star-wars-in-the-clone-wars-spoilers-speculation/

I wish we could stop George Lucas ...but I am afraid it is already too late.  :(

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
Spider body? Mechanical Carriage?

Beyond lame. They should have left it alone. They are going to turn the legacy of a dark and cool character into something laughable.

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
Not like Clone Wars is canon anyway  ::) ::)

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
Hey, I'm all for it!  Clone wars is fun, I'm not too concerned with "cannon" or what have you seeing as this is all CGI anywho.  If it were something like live action or a tv series with real people maybe I could see trying to steer more realistic and storyline whathaveyou, but it's not, so have some fun!

How did the emperor know Anakin was all cut up and a smoldering stump at the end of EPIII?  Probably the same way he knew of Maul's unfortunate situation.  He probably sent his people to go pick up the quivering cauterized lumps of Maul and tried to salvage whatever he could, knowing that all the more HATE filling maul would make him even more powerful.

I kinda dig the idea.  Totally unrealistic but they could have alot of fun with it!  CLOOOONEEEESSS just wanna have FUUUUUUUNNN oooooohyaaaa CLOOOONEEEESSSS just wannna haaaaaave fuuuuuuuunnnn!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
I would have been more OK with the entire Clone Wars concept if there was no Ahsoka.

Flat out statement of the facts of my opinion.

Can't stand that brat.

Offline Nero Attoru

• Master Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
I would have been more OK with the entire Clone Wars concept if there was no Ahsoka.

Flat out statement of the facts of my opinion.

Can't stand that brat.

So basically the solution to this problem is... have Maul KILL Ahsoka!

Maul gets major brownie points from the SW fans, Ahsoka gets killed off (makes fans happy and takes care of her inevitable exodus).  Win win!

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
Maul was cut in half.  I can't suspend my disbelief long enough to buy the idea that anyone could survive that.  It just seems ridiculous.  And don't even get me started on the absurdity of Anakin having an apprentice.  In Episode III they wouldn't give him the rank of master, and yet according to the Clone Wars cartoon he has an apprentice.  Then what exactly does the rank of master mean then?  Plus I saw a preview of an episode where they froze Anakin and Obi-Wan in carbonite to help them infiltrate enemy territory.  This kills any dramatic tension of being frozen in carbonite, rendering the scene with Han in ESB utterly useless.  (That is, if you watch the Clone Wars and consider it canon.)  The whole emotion of that scene is whether or not Han will survive the freezing process.  

But the producers logic is if we do something they did in the original trilogy, especially from Empire, the fans will love it!  Jedi can survive that kind of thing, because according to the prequels Jedi are nearly invincible!  If there is no dramatic tension or conflict, there is no story.  Which means you can have all the battles you want, but if there is no real threat of danger to characters that you care about, then there is no ultimate purpose to watching.  This is why the Clone Wars is crap.  I can't believe how incredibly stupid Star Wars is becoming.

I have no problem with expanding the universe of Star Wars and I have no problem with having a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief, but when you create rules in your universe at least stick to them so there is some kind of logic behind it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:06:19 AM by Psab Keel »

Offline Big Boss

• Formerly known as phophjoph
  • Master Force User
  • there is only room for one Snake and one Big Boss
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/coming-soon/index.html?atclk_hp=hp_b_promo_Card#1
Looks like their going with this version of maul you see him perfectly at the end of this preview going against obi won

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."-The Boss

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath"-Michael Caine

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/coming-soon/index.html?atclk_hp=hp_b_promo_Card#1
Looks like their going with this version of maul you see him perfectly at the end of this preview going against obi won

Yes!!!!!! No spider legs!!!

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Master Force User
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
Well, I wish you were right...  :-\  but unfortunately, it seems that when his brother finds him (as he is still living the life of a recluse in a dark cave located on a remote planet of the Outer Rim territories), he does have spider legs :( (this is described in the book and briefly visible in the preview video as well, when Oppress enters the cave and you can see a gloomy shadow with spider legs...)

He is probably equiped with a better bipedal prosthetic apparatus later, since we can indeed see him (at the end of the video) standing on his two robotic legs and equiped with the cybernetic lower half of his abdomen...(just like in the Visionaries comics) ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:53:46 AM by forcepractitioner »

retrousse