fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate ESB?  (Read 23901 times)

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
Re: How would you rate ESB?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2008, 01:25:20 PM »
ESB is by far IMO the best SW movie.

Ya know I got to thinking after watching ROTJ. Vader said "obi wan was wize to hide her from me".

So its possable that vader knew about luke cause she was pregnant and dident know they were twins.

So Iam guessing that vader knew about luke. about the whole shock thing I dont remember I will have to look at it in a bit.

EDIT

After reviewing this Iam still kinda confused why this move was done.

IS there a posability that it corilates with a book like splinter of the minds eye which was the first EU piece written and was to be made into a movie if star wars was a flop.

Maybe theres another book that might have something to say about this.

Maybe vader knew all along and was making sure that palpy was or wasent playing him for a fool or something.

Iam sure theres a reasion for this change but with my lack of works in the EU I cant formulate a reasion for it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:22:43 PM by Alias »

Offline ashgad

• Force User
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
For me ESB is the best of all of the films it has the dark attitude the awesome lightsaber duel, Hoth and ends on a down note, the perfect middle act.

Offline RogueJedi

• Vagabond Master
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back!
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
I never really enjoyed ESB, I don't know why, but whenever I rate the OT it goes 6,4,5. However I still like it way more than Episode 1 and 2.

Offline lordantwarrior

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »
By far and away the best Star Wars Movie. I think this is quite possibly the greatest sequel ever (and has been voted as such by many online sites), and the one which achieved the impossible in topping A New Hope. Also, is this the only movie ever in which nothing good happens to the hero? I think this is why critics enjoy it so much, because it is an extremely daring movie- it literally is a perfect setup for a third installment. Think about it, the rebels have thier huge victory in IV, but just like the title of V suggests, the Empire STRIKES down upon the alliance with all thier might. And because of this, everybody is DYING to see episode VI, because they're all so eager to see how our heroes come out of this one. I wasn't around at the time, but from what I gather (from my dad) "I am your father" sent shockwaves around the world, and really gave everybody a cliffhanger for episode VI. Like the whole movie, from the battle of Hoth begginning, was building up to "Vader's trap", like a beautiful creschendo which culminated in the most shocking of revelations. Then our hero goes home with his tail between his legs, to regroup; the Empire having scored te ultimate equaliser. Undoubtably the greatest Cliffhanger in cinema history.

If you haven't already been able to tell, I rate Empire a 10. It's the one most critics love- from the evil and terrifying performace of James Earl/Prowse which cemented Vader as the all time greatest villain, to the breathtaking battle scenes on Hoth, to the witty banter between Solo/Leia/Lando/Chewie, to the chilling scenes on Bespin. On many people's all time film lists, Empire is a true masterpiece. I am not such a huge fanboy that I can't pick holes in Star Wars films- as my other reviews attest to; and undoubtably Return of the Jedi will soon fall victim to a little criticism as soon as I finish this review- but it is simply that, with Empire, I am unable to. Even the score is probarbly John Williams' best work.

Best part: The moment before the Bespin duel, where Luke enters the chamber, and Vader's silhouette can just be seen shrouded in darkness: "You have learned much young Skywalker... but you are not a Jedi yet". Luke must face his destiny, and in that one chilling moment, Vader is the most evil being in the whole universe. Truly wonderful cinema, which I wish I was around to see on the big screen :-\

This is the one which makes Star Wars to me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:06:49 PM by lordantwarrior »

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
A perfect 10.
This was the movie that got me into Star Wars, and I've been hooked since. Name any other movie from the 80's and the special effects pale in comparision. It's not only the best sequel of all time but, IMHO, by far the best of the six...and I think it had a LOT to do with the director.
Leia: "I love you."
Solo: "I know."
Enough said.

Hoth, T-47s, AT-ATs, the bloomin' Executor, the asteroid field (!), Dagobah, Yoda, Luke's training, Luke in the cave, Yoda raising the X-wing, Lando, Bespin's trap, Han in carbonite, the carbon chamber duel, Vader's bold announcement, the narrow escape...
...What wasn't there to love about this movie?

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
  • The Leeroy Jenkins of the bidding wars
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2009, 09:19:06 AM »
I give him a perfect 10,is my favorite move ever.
I give 10 reasons why ESB is a 10:

1) I am your father

2) The imperial walkers scene

3) The asteroid Field ("they would be crazy to follow us")

4) Boba Fett  ("Hes no good to me dead")

5) Cloud City Bespin landing sequence

6) The most romantic dialogue in film history.. "i love you" - "i know"

7) Aside from E.T, ANH, i think ESB is the biggest accomplishment in a music score in film history,and the best for John Williams.

8) The whole Dagobah sequences are poetry. The relationship between Luke and Yoda. Master and Apprentice. Do,or do not...there is no try. Giving the final punch with one of the most amazing meaningful scenes of all time: Luke striking Vader. Luke versus his fear.

9)Another scene from Dagobah, when Yoda reminds Luke that "size matters not", and resurfaces the drowned X-wing with one of the best answers in human history:
Luke- "i..i dont..i dont believe it!"
-Yoda- That,is why you fail.

10) The fact that THE MOST AMAZING FANTASY FILM EVER MADE DIDNT NEED OF ANY CG CRAP LIKE MOST FILMS THESE DAYS,NO CG YODA,NO CG ASTEROIDS,NO CG CHARACTERS,NO  CG AT-ATS.

... UNTIL GEROGE DECIDED ESB  WAS TOO GOOD TO NOT RUIN IT AND MADE THE REVISED SPECIAL EDITION BY CHANGING BOBA FETTS VOICE, ADDING CG ELEMENTS WHICH DIDNT NEED....AND EVEN THOUGH HE TRIED TO RUIN IT..HE FAILED....THATS HOW GOOD THIS MOVIE IS..

And  i tell you,If George wants to ruin something, he will,and he does.

Well,just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:22:00 AM by Juansith »

Offline Aurora Skywalker

• Force User
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
I gave it a 10  ;D ;D

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »
Definitely my favorite, just above ROTS!

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »
I love the original version. I can forgive most of the tweaks in the Special Edition. But when I heard the sound bite of the Emperor screaming at the end of Return of the Jedi added to the scene of Luke's leap of faith in the first version of Special Edition Empire Strikes Back a little piece of my childhood wept briefly & died.
I was glad to see it was removed from the recent DVD version. Episode V can return to it's rightful place as my favourite part of the saga again. 10  ;D
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
I gave ESB a 10 for lots of different reasons.

It was very well written and directed. Secondly is that it made more sense to me compared to all the rest of the Star Wars movies. I'll explain in detail if possible. Everything in ESB, characters and what-not were all struggling to do things (like we all do in real life). Nothing worked according to plan and the rebels were forced to improvise.

The bad guys seemed to win at every turn and all characters just kept getting deeper and deeper in trouble. Then the big bomb. Vader is the father. Ultimate good guy is the son of the ultimate bad guy. Hand is cut off, Han frozen and even C-3PO is disassembled. Like I said though. Realistic compared to always having the good guys win.

So much win in this movie. It makes me wonder if the director is still alive and if so......why not do another one with GL.

Offline Lord_Mobius

• No Force
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »
ESB is hands down my most favorite of all the movies. its got a great balance of politics and action.

I would have given it an 11 if it was an option

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
this movie inspired events in the prequels that wouldn't have happened otherwise.   
like, when vader uses the torture of han and leia to get luke's attention.. how did he know this would work?
also, when yoda says luke is "too old" ..  they never tell us 'why'.

(there's a lot of unanswered stuff in ESB which begs a backstory) ;)

-->  turns out, the jedi aren't supposed to have loved ones.  they are taken from their families at infancy.
so Vader was, quite possibly, the only Jedi to even know about this quirk of the force.

turns out, the jedi made their fatal error when they trained anakin in Ep1, as per quigon's wishes.
Anakin WAS too old.  he was old enough to know his loved ones.  old enough to feel their pain from across the galaxy. 

(who knew?  not obiwan or windu. they never knew their mothers.  obiwan said: "bah.  dreams pass in time". he had no clue)
(Yoda said "bah.  always in motion is the future.  best to ignore it".  these jedi had no loved ones)

anakin learned about it the hard way .. and then 20 years later he used it against Luke (!) while Yoda and Obiwan were STILL training Jedi "too young".   

*facepalm*   

-===-

in a way, the entire prequel trilogy feels like a checklist of plot points left unexplained from the OT, which were addressed in "point form" by the PT's   

(( I only wish Alec Guinness had left out the line about "best starpilot in the galaxy" , so we could do without the buzz-droid-scene))   ::) *sigh*

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:29:59 PM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Adegan4Antonio

• Force User
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
I gave this a solid 10.  I love ROTJ because of the new ships, Luke's new lightsaber, speederbikes, etc.  But when it comes down to a deep storyline, ESB has it.  I love the lightsaber dual in Bespin, it was very dark, Very haunting.  The part where Luke takes a hit to Vader's shoulder armor and the sparks flew was awesome, it was like I took a piece of you.  Then Vader returned the favor and cut Luke's hand off, with fierce solitude.  "Luke I Am Your Father" will go down as a shocking moment in cinema history....Very Awesome indeed.  The snowspeeders were awesome too, the battle on Hoth was great.  Yoda looked very real, again, there was no CGI, just pure creativity and hard work.  We need those days back!!!  I also enjoyed the comedy elements in this movie also, that is what makes it enjoyable too, the light-hearted moments.  Perfect Movie-I could watch this Any day of the week ;D

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 05:23:11 AM »

in a way, the entire prequel trilogy feels like a checklist of plot points left unexplained from the OT, which were addressed in "point form" by the PT's   

(( I only wish Alec Guinness had left out the line about "best starpilot in the galaxy" , so we could do without the buzz-droid-scene))   ::) *sigh*

here's another off the same list:   it always seemed out of character for vader to stop bobafett from firing on chewie during the carbon freeze scene...   but now, suddenly, out of nowhere, vader is 3po's daddy.     

now: rewatch the scene.   

boba fett levels his blaster JUST as threepio begins screaming "no! stop! I'm not ready to die!".   in the context of prequel-anakin, this would be the part where vader first recognizes the droid hanging on chewie's back.  he knows its his droid.  he doesn't quite understand the connection to the princess (yet), so he's gonna take prisoners and sort it out later:"Calrissian. take the princess and the wookie to my ship. I am altering the deal". (now we know why he altered the deal:  it all happened when threepio started screaming).

its almost as if they threw that 'anakin-creates-threepio' nonsense into the prequels , just to explain a certain scene in the OT (which seemed out of character the first time around).   the entire prequel trilogy is like an incidental list of band-aid explanations to fill holes in the OT (which didn't need to be filled).   when you string them all together, you can them "movies".  I guess.

((although, phantom menace lacks a protagonist, so it really doesn't make sense AS a movie.   in ANH, the protagonist was clear: with the exception of the first ten minutes, the camera follows luke exclusively.  luke is someone the audience can relate to. he guides us through a galaxy far away, and leads the audience on a journey;  in TPM there is no clear protagonist.  the audience is wandering around without a guide)).  :-\
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:28:46 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline wallcrawler

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
perfect 10, i can watch this movie over and over again (which i do). The tone, plot, emotion, drama, comedy and action are all balanced and never seem out of place or forced. The effects are brilliant and the whole experience seems real, something the prequals should have realised, apparently ROTS was "dark" well it has nothing on the cave scene or the first moment Vader confronts Luke in cloud city. They should never have touched the original edit apart from maybe some effects like making the fuselage on the speeders solid instead of opaque. I cringe at the updated vader/emperor scene as well as the change in Fetts accent.

ESB is leagues ahead of any other SW movie in every way

Trainers ARE cool

retrousse