fiduciary

Author Topic: Crystal Focus V5 Discussion Thread / NOT for asking when they are available  (Read 186924 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
It's going to be unlocked later, for now, I'm going to use it as a post-it note of the state of R&D, to keep you guys updated, then when I have something to show, videos and actual discussion.

Features expected
* Including a software volume control or setting (other than the vol POT itself)         [done]
* New architecture for v5... departing from the v2,3,4 a bit                                         [done]
* More boards available overall, more often (hopefully!).
* less parts, smaller board, easier to built (for me)                                                      [done]
* Some different parts removed; another better one to replace them                         [done]
* Increasing the current to 2000mA                                                                             [done]
* maximum backward capacilities                                                                                 [done]
* enhanced sound quality + louder - 2W amp with 4 ohm speakers
   or 1W with 8 ohm speaker (automatic, no config needed)                                        [done]
* Allowing the flicker options to affect poweron and poweroff
   (power on flicker is already there). Options to enable or disable those fx                [done]
* probably a sound fx config file and a specific led config file, we'll see
* new audio engine (my problem) - more efficient                                                        [done]
* wav support (works for a year when I initially planned V5 but... no time).                [done]
   Doesn't change anything from the reading of the sound files
   actually since WAV = 99% RAW
* more accent LEDs (multi purpose). Target is *SEVEN* Accent LEDs                          [done]
* option do get the accent LEDs go crazy during lockup =>                                         [done]
   use an altleds.txt sequence just like on my chestbox controller or blaster core.
   If altleds.txt, lockup doesn't affect accent led sequencing, hence no additionnal parameter is needed.
* idle.txt for a special LED sequence when board is idle (blade off)                             [done]
* 7 LED on-board PLI with the accent LED, with various settings                                 [done]
* PLI displayed during the menu, plus use of the accent LED to display which bank you're in during the menu selection (1-6, 7th led = iSaber) [done]
* improved safety for the board with optionnal settings depending if you target absolute newbie proof or extended performance
* more gesture recognition                     [done]
* enhanced reduced current for power saving when blade is off and overall lower current used for the core.               [done]
* nova mute-on-da-go proposal to temporarly mute the saber instead of jumping in a muted sound font
* enhanced Flash on Clash (tm) (also known as FoC (tm)) WITH flickering and shimmering during clash / lockup with separate timings from the luxeon (ideal for creating even more chaotic fx and contre point)
* RGB *mixing*. NO. I'd need 3 current regulator that will NEVER FIT. You guys want rainbow sabers, cool. CF isn't just PWM dimming / chopping voltage to the led, it's a complete servoing system. The current RGB selection system will probably remain, maybe extended to 4 dices control so that the great ledengin leds could be used to their full potential. As for on board PE, no neither, there are probably like less than 1% of people wanting a color changing saber and I don't want to increase the size of the board for that. If you need the feature, you'll need to wire up external PEs somewhere in the hilt.
* 25V support : no. I tested many things and stepping down from high voltage to the core voltage of CF is an issue. It generate a lot of useless heat. I prefer to improve the current if can generate so that the 2 cell setup remains the best solution for everyone instead of wiring dices in serie. V5 will be compatible with at least 12 / 13V and I'll see if It can wisthand 3 cells as a permanent setup with acceptable heat.
* more switch options. I got a request to add the ultrasound delayed power off to handle poor switches with a lot of bouncing. APOP handles that already and I'm not fully conviced but why not.
* ramp up fx timing : param to select if matching the power on sound duration, or custom duration. Extension of the "quick on" current param.                                  [done]
* same for the power off I suppose.                                               [done]
* a param to define if gesture recognition starts immediatly if ramp up time < poweron sound length                     [done]
* separate gesture detection "rate & flow" from the visual fx. Right now, the clash rate is limited by the shimmer duration. It's convenient for user's BUT... to be accurate, shimmer clash is one thing, and clash gesture is something else. User might like a very speedy sequence of clashes even if the shimmer fx of each clash is interrupted. Another parameter like a the "swing" one that limits the swing rate (I'm sorry, my motion regognition algo is "too" fast ).     [done]
* multiple power on with saber orientation selection (4 sounds)
* multiple power off with saber movement/idle selection (2 sounds)
* Press & release aux = entering blaster mode. Further swings = more Blasters. Wait for the end of a blaster sound OR clash interrupt blaster mode. This mode will be selectable of course, and the classic press +  release =  single blaster will still be there.  - This is called Blaster Move ™     [done]
Developpement roadmap :[/b]

A) finish the low level stuff                                                                    [done]
B) get a mutated version V4.63 running on the new platform              [100% done]
C) write the missing code / refine existing code to upgrade to V5.       [100% done]

[update 19-02-2010]
got my 101 test pass for the new core controller. Ruffled a few feathers & dried the plaster walls (as we say in french) but now most of the hardware configuration change are done and I'm moving to the port of the low level routines.
Once hardware libs will be finished, I expect to have 80% of the code working as is.

[update 04-03-2010]
proto board is up and running for the low level stuff, SD card access, playing sound, controlling accent leds. Still have to reactivate motion sensing and luxeon driving.
Currently working on a real improvement of SD handling to be even more compatible with future card. After going back to Microsoft White paper for a couple of days to refresh my memory on FAT file systems, I've added FAT32 support yesterday, and I've partially implemented SDHC too. Still, this needs some more work to get a clean and optimized code, that's what I'm doing for now. Once it's done, it's for ever and it will make further dev even simpler.

[update 14-03-2010]
Added a lot of things during the WE. More accent led stuff, PLI is almost finished, and I checked a lot of important points in the roadmap above.
Many things have changed in the parameters, I removed certain ones (that were like never touched in general, or only by me), and for others they are automatically calculated since now the CPU power allows it.

Configuration file size won't really disminish though, certains parameters were removed, but new features are there too, hence a parameter to describe / enable / disable them.

New COOL thing : the 7 accent LEDs can be used for RGB+ color selection and for PLI/Blinkies.

Board size is currently 51.4 x 23.5 x 8 mm.
Lenght might vary again, a little bit, depending on my PCB cram-fu.

[update 23/03/2010]
- Validated the use with Mac OS X - Configuration files can be edited with TextEdit, formatting & copying files works fine.
- Optmized current regulator and measured the current with a DMM. Setup to 1A, the measured current is 0.95 to 1A over a span of 4.4V to 10V.
- Measured the efficiency of the new SMPS current regulator : 80% at 4.4V powering a lux III @1A, 90% @7.4V (same luxeon same current). That's pretty well in the standards of the SMPS state of the art.
- Programmed a randomX selection for the audio track in iSaber audio player. Tracks are now never triggered twice.
- Increased the number of track to 50 !

I HAVE A TARGET PRICE FOR THIS RUN
Certain parts I can't have with the expected discount this time, hence CFV5 will be 125 €. Looking back on my shoulder, CF hasn't changed of pricing since 2006, except the 1€ compensation for the 2GB SD card.
Here's, to limit price increase, SD card might be smaller capacity. Overall, with ALL the new features the board provides, I think it's a justified shift.

IF I end getting the expected discount on parts, price might drop in the next run, however, that's to be partially balanced with the cost of a manufactured assembly of the board (of course, manufactured means less hassle for me, I don't plan to forward all the manufacturing cost to the final price).

UPDATE !
VIDEO TIME !!!

PART 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHwYAN-YKDg

PART 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlFmfRWbrbo

[24/08/2010 - ADDON : user's manual is online]
https://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=81
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:30:55 PM by erv »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
That all looks great Erv and it reads well.

I especially like item 3.  ;D   I'm glad to see you have no desrie for a sister board too.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
lol. Feature #3... ahah.. yeah I'll do my best

ok : I do have a 26% cost increase on the board  :o :o >:(
I'm trying to get a quote on the expensive parts to see if I can lower that.
Still, there might be an increase of cost, I think.

I'll probably swallow part of the cost increase, and remove the "free" wire & heatshrink I was offering with each board to compensate.
Price will then probably reach 120 euros.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:30:56 AM by erv »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
 ;)

I say do what you must erv.your sound board is the top of the line.It stands to reason. ;D

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
26% increase?  Ouch.  Are the upgrades really worth it Erv.   IMO you have a perfect board already.  Can you improve on it?  Most likely.  Everything can always be improved on.  But does it really need the upgrade?

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
I do believe so, when you see all the list of what I plan to do.
Cost increase is unfortunatly due a high end part that allow to maximize runtime all over the battery life and resist to up to 16v making the whole system working with 3 li-ion cells (to be tested).
With the ledengin and clash flash, I strongly believe it's important.
Sure, I could have used el-cheapo parts like on other boards, by I do using only top notch part, trying to save on something like this drives to a design dead end to save 5 bucks per boards. Not my EE culture.

If you want to do it right, it will cost you something, there's no magic.

The use of this particular parts will allow also a louder soundboard.

I'm still waiting for my quote, I might disminish the overall cost and limit the price increase anyway. I'll keep you guys posted.

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
That has been discussed ad nauseum.  Why not let someone run their own business?
;D

I'm with MT...I think a price increase is perfectly reasonable...especially considering all the new features you plan on adding. That's a very impressive list. :o

Offline Chowser

• Master Force User
  • Greetings Program!
I think most people are willing to pay for the increase since it is something new with more features.  I for one am planning on taking a couple of hours off work on release day and getting my F5 button ready.  Everytime there has been a release, I was stuck at work, but NO MORE! 

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
I would gladly pay more if it means a better chance of getting them. :)
It surely can't cost as much as what I've paid for some of them from individuals.  ;)
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline darthxanthus

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms
    • Xanthus Laboratories
I will just say thank you for further development of an excellent product.  <<I'm not worthy bow>>

I hope to buy all I can, when I can, and with the .wav thing I may well be willing to part with previous boards as I aquire V5+ CFs over time. 

I am excited to see how it all goes. ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:17:41 AM by darthxanthus »
Find me on Facebook.  Look for Xanthus Laboratories fan page.

or on Imperial Royal Arms website!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
Re: Crystal Focus V5 Discussion Thread / NOT for asking when they are available
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
I would love that more boards were available, but I know Erv has us all in his thoughts when he wishes to provide a quality product.  As for the cost increase, quality comes at a price.  One that I would be more then willing to pay, although if Erv finds a way to keep the cost nearly the same as before, that would be awesome as well.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline miqt

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
impressive. really looking forward to these becoming available! thanks erv!
mike

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
  • Now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
An increase in price seems perfectly fine to me, i wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the best possible soundboard you could put in a saber.
de CF
Click the link to view my collection at the very bottom of the page:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20080.msg330140#msg330140

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
A 26% price increase for an improved chance of getting the most sought after soundboard there is? Even if it's only a slightly improved chance judging by how quickly they sell out it's got to be better than nothing. My dwindling hopes of becoming a member of the Crystal Focus Owners Club seem somehow renewed.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:02:48 PM by Darth Inferis »
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
Brave on Erv
truly an amazing list of intended features for the v5
I'm the same as Luke hoping for point 3
I like your style - quality delivers long after the price is forgotten
anyone that has done any SMD soldering or knows what's involved should certainly sympathize with Erv's quanity/quality on his boards
it's all Elemental

retrousse