fiduciary

Author Topic: How to go about finding a machinist?  (Read 358 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
How to go about finding a machinist?
« on: October 28, 2020, 07:35:12 AM »
Hey folks.

So, while I'm waiting for help with the woes of my current build, I figured I'd ask another question I've got.

I've done pretty well so far making sabers with files, a coping saw and a drill press, but I've reached that point where my ambitions are outstripping what I can do by myself. I can't store a mini lathe/mill in my flat (too small, no stable enough surfaces to work on, easily anoyable neighbours and landlord issues.) So, I've got to outsource it.

I'm sure I can't be the first sabersmith to be in this situation, so, I was wandering if folks had any tips or advice. Thing to look out for, good practices, how to go to a machine shop and say "hey, can you make me a lightsaber part?" and not get laughed at, that sort of thing.
Better late than never.

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
Re: How to go about finding a machinist?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
If I was in your situation I’d get my hands on a Sherline lathe. It’s small and it’s not loud at all. Darth Chasm lives in I think in a New York apartment and manages to use one. In his words I think he said it’s like a sewing machine. Sure you can outsource, but I’ve built quite a few sabers with the one I have. I don’t use it much anymore, but I did for about 2 years. It’s not a bad way to go if space is tight.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 11:03:26 AM »
Believe me, I would absolutely love to have a Sherline or a Proxxon. I don't have the space for anything else, and that's the one thing I can't make more of.

besides, my landlord has made it very clear very often that my drill press has cost me my security deposit. I really don't want to test him on anything bigger. Flat hunting is a pain when there isn't a plague on  :sad:
Better late than never.

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »
Oh Geez! Maybe it’s time to find a new place to live.

retrousse