fiduciary

Author Topic: strain on polycarbonate blade  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Hunter

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
strain on polycarbonate blade
« on: November 15, 2005, 06:50:44 AM »
i was wondering this morning,if you swing the saber hard,will it strain the plastic blade and cause it to crack somewhere in the hilt? or get that thing where there is a really bad strain on plastic so the plastic will get big white patches on it where is getting pulled or stretched or just pressure put on it.or is this whole thing not an issue?

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Re: strain on polycarbonate blade
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 08:41:18 AM »
If you swing hard, you better follow through with it to slow the blade down.  Im sure if you swing hard enough and stop it suddenly, it might cause harm.    I know what you are talking about when you say, "white patches" but I don't think you have to worry about that unless you actually bend the blade by hitting it against a hard edge to create a crease.   
Try to treat your lightsaber like a valuable sharp sword.  Don't just hack away at anything, choose your opponents wisely.

oh, and FFX sabers should not be used for crutches, canes or walking sticks. hhahhaha

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Hunter

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 12:16:39 PM »
well,i've swung my sabers as hard i can loads of time putting it to the test and their fine.the blade seems invulnerable.i dont hit anything,i just swing. :)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 12:42:26 PM »
Hello there

Iwon't get into this too long because I've covered most of this in the
tutorial under "Articles" called "How to Properly Duel With Your FX-Lightsaber"

But I will say that if you swing full speed and accidentally hit something ::)
Don't be suprised at all if your break it.

The Polycarbonite Tube is very Strong, But still is only a 1/16th thick walled tube
so it's not like the 1/8th thick walled tube where you can hit hard.

It's your Saber and it's up to you how you treat it...
Do be be mindfull with how you use it...

MTFBWY
always
YODA
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 12:50:49 PM by Yoda »

Offline darthclueless

• formerly known as darthclueless
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:47:42 PM »
Polycarb is very hard but very brittle when pushed past it's tolerances. You will probably never see a white or cloudy spot, that happens to softer plastics. If you hit something with the blade at high speed it will crack. How hard you hit and the angle of the strike will deternine how bad the crack is. Follow the dueling tutorial and you will be fine. These suckers are tough.

Offline Mace101

• Padawan Learner
  • I am your master, Mace Windu.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 02:33:39 PM »
Hmm...

I don't know about you, but my 2003 EL Luke is in perfect working order and I've hit it pretty hard before.
"In the name of the Galactic Republic of the Senate, You are under arrest."- Mace Windu, Episode 3.

Offline darthclueless

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 04:15:59 PM »
I've seen a few on ebay that had cracks spiraling up the blade or running along the long axis of the blade. That was from a hard strike on something that probably wasn't another FX.

Offline Hunter

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 05:39:40 AM »
i only ever hit my saber once,and it was by accident.it didnt do anything but i would hate to know that its all buggered down in the hilt where i cant see it,but theres know way to know for sure unless i wanted to dismantle it by now.im pretty sure its fine as if something were wrong i would be seeing signs of weakness.

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 05:51:54 AM »
These things I quite sturdy and I have dueled with the harder than most and they have survived.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Hunter

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 06:02:52 AM »
yeah,thats what it seems like most of the time but what if there was a big crack down in the hilt and you wouldnt know about it and one day you swing your saber and you blade falls off and it turns out your saber was getting damaged all along.

but come to think of it,that might actually be impossible because the saber is held in really tight in those black sleaves.if there was a crack in the blade where the blade is inside the hilt,do you think we would hear any noises?or would we have to wait till oneday the blade snaps off?

Offline darthclueless

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 12:27:23 PM »
I really think you'd have some warning before the balde snapped off. If you were hitting things hard enough to break it below the emitter, you'd hear some bad noises and probably see your blade getting loose before it ever broke off completely or seperated from the hilt. But, if you were hitting things hard enough to make all that happen, I don't think it would be a surprise that something failed. As stated above, you can whack these pretty hard without breaking them so if you do, you probably had it coming.....

Offline rob

• Experienced Force User
  • What Would Porkins Do?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »
Your much more likely to split the blade inside of the hilt than produce any white spots.  Inside the hilt the blade has two holes and plastic set pins to keep the it in place.  That is where the blade is at its weakest and most likely to crack

retrousse