fiduciary

Author Topic: Don`t skimp on batterys!!  (Read 103930 times)

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
Re: Don`t skimp on batterys!!
« Reply #465 on: April 25, 2008, 03:46:58 PM »
he should have yelled "NOOOOOO!" then it would be perfect
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #466 on: April 25, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Hmmmmm...watching that commercial again slowly I'm wondering exactly which Vader saber that is...it doesn't look EXACTLY like a ROTJ in the pic that shows the emitter from above and there also appears to be a different rivet pattern on the rubber grips in the battery shot than I've seen before??? Am I seeing correctly?
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline coLUKEtor

• Force User
  • "experience outranks everything"
« Reply #467 on: April 25, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »
Just an FYI, for those of you who think you may get even brighter luminosity if you get the ultra special Energizer titanium or lithium batteries, I would suggest you DON'T use them.

Master Replicas is specific about what kind of battery you are supposed to use with the Force FX: only akaline batteries. If you don't use akaline, you run the risk of damaging your Force FX, or severely shortening its lifespan.

I haven't read the whole thread, but i do read the saber manual and the battery manual which says energizer lithium is alkaline  ;D

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #468 on: April 25, 2008, 09:49:56 PM »
Just an FYI, for those of you who think you may get even brighter luminosity if you get the ultra special Energizer titanium or lithium batteries, I would suggest you DON'T use them.

Master Replicas is specific about what kind of battery you are supposed to use with the Force FX: only akaline batteries. If you don't use akaline, you run the risk of damaging your Force FX, or severely shortening its lifespan.

Funny, because I have been using the Energizer e2 Lithiums for a year and a half now in my converted Luke ROTJ with no adverse effect whatsoever...  And before I converted it, I still used them.

I also Use Li-Ion batteries with MR boards regulary with no downsides...

You do realize that the MR instruction sheets are written at a 6th grade reading level right?  The Force FX Lightsabers were designed NOT to be taken apart, and were intended to be left in their factory state.  The boards inside them can handle a lot more juice than they normally receive, and we are talking voltage here. 

Batteries that output a little more mAh are not going to adversely effect anything.  Sorry to point out the misinformation, but your statement is not grounded in the reality you may think it is.

Basically MR put that in the instruction manual to cover their sixes in case some stump jumpin' jethro decided to put THREE li-ion rechageables into the saber, bork it up and demand a refund.

Let's face it here, if you put three ultrafires in a STOCK MR saber... You won't be happy with the results, when you start smelling burnt wiring, and no cool stuff happening in the saber, except for som smoke rolling out of the pommel cap when you open it up.

MR boards can handle up to 6.5V.  Three Ultrafire LC14500's = 10.8V...  That's why MR put that disclaimer in.

The other reason, is that NIMH rechargeables typically run around 1.2V which is a little lower than the 1.5V a normal alkaline battery runs at...

Running a saber at a lower voltage than its target voltage will cause odd fluctuations in sound quality, and can provide a dimmer or even spotty blade. Which in turn will lead to yet another return to the retailer, and a loss to the profit margin of the company...

ALL manufacturers write stuff like that into instruction manuals to cover their butts.  It's not that they think everyone is ignorant, but they have to assume as such for the safety of their profit. Basically if they dumb it down as much as possible, then they can turn a larger profit on each unit sold, rather than having to have units returned to the manufacture point for inspection or repair...

Offline coLUKEtor

• Force User
« Reply #469 on: April 26, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »
Does anybody know why my luke anh has very slight dark spots at the upper half of the blade? (I use the Energizer Lithiums btw) It's noticeable on video whenever I swing my blade quickly, but not when idle or moving slightly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:31:58 PM by coLUKEtor »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #470 on: April 26, 2008, 02:46:14 PM »
It might be the diffuser foam padding around the LED strip.   or just a connection that isn't fully soldered on the ladder.

My guess would be the diffuser, because from time to time they got a batch that wasn't always even in thickness and composition.  It's not like the led is completely dead though right?...

Offline coLUKEtor

• Force User
« Reply #471 on: April 26, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »
It might be the diffuser foam padding around the LED strip.   or just a connection that isn't fully soldered on the ladder.

My guess would be the diffuser, because from time to time they got a batch that wasn't always even in thickness and composition.  It's not like the led is completely dead though right?...

No....it's not completely out - some spots only look darker than the rest of the blade :D Thanks for the info DT  :D

So, it's not caused by the batteries?

Can stronger batteries make up for it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:34:32 PM by coLUKEtor »

Offline MasterScott831

• Formerly known as Darthlacess831
  • Force User
  • Grand Master of the Santa Cruz Jedi Academy
    • Santa Cruz Jedi Academy
« Reply #472 on: April 27, 2008, 02:00:39 AM »

No....it's not completely out - some spots only look darker than the rest of the blade :D Thanks for the info DT  :D

Duracell Ultra, bro. I also own Luke ANH and I noticed that same problem with Li-Ions (see my chart on page 31 of this topic).
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" is a statement that deals in absolutes.

Visit our saber group's homepage! The link is on my profile under website. :)

Offline coLUKEtor

• Force User
« Reply #473 on: April 27, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »

Duracell Ultra, bro. I also own Luke ANH and I noticed that same problem with Li-Ions (see my chart on page 31 of this topic).

Thanks!! I didn't think something cheaper would be stronger  ;D ;D

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #474 on: April 27, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »
Actually if the Saber is Stock, then The Duracell Ultra Digitals have been test-proven to be the most beneficial in a Force-FX Saber than any other aside from the Energizer Titaniums...

The e2 Lithiums are better for those sabers that have been converted to Luxeon.

Offline coLUKEtor

• Force User
« Reply #475 on: April 27, 2008, 11:27:48 PM »
Actually if the Saber is Stock, then The Duracell Ultra Digitals have been test-proven to be the most beneficial in a Force-FX Saber than any other aside from the Energizer Titaniums...

The e2 Lithiums are better for those sabers that have been converted to Luxeon.

That's why - mine has a stock blade  ;D

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
« Reply #476 on: April 28, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »
Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix Duracell Power Pix.....

They make quite a difference...but have a short life. So they are more for showing off then general use

Offline coLUKEtor

• Force User
« Reply #477 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »
So, which battery will produce the brightest and most even MR stock blade? BTW, I re-checked the batteries I'm using - they're energizer titanium not lithium   ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:45:36 PM by coLUKEtor »

Offline Arthet5

• Force User
« Reply #478 on: April 28, 2008, 05:42:53 PM »
Lithium batteries are pretty much optimul in terms of current and voltage effeciency. The problem is that you would opt to go for rechargeable since you would have to continuosly replace the nonrechargable batteries. Which you would have to do some cutom modifications to your saber.

Offline Vader81

• n00b
  • Padawan Learner
  • IF YOU ONLY KNEW THE POWER OF THE DARKSIDE
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2008, 02:05:05 AM »
I just saw the youtube energizer commercial of page 31, i remember that, and it was halarious!!!!! thanx for finding that!!
JOSH>> DV8-1----The new Sith Lord

retrousse