fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex Clamp Switch, but with removable pogopins  (Read 874 times)

Offline Shinkaze

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Graflex Clamp Switch, but with removable pogopins
« on: January 04, 2021, 08:59:59 AM »
------UPDATED-----------

After investigating this idea I found a superior solution using a power cell in the clamp and conducting a small charge through the chassis to the silicon. This way you do not have to drill the graflex to make a window for pogopins.  Additionally I did not find a suitable pogopin for clearing a 1.5mm wall thickness.

------Original Idea------

First Post, apologies if this has been vetted before.

I am building a Graflex with a removable chassis around the Saber Armory 1" removable blade holder.

Therefore if I implement clamp buttons they must be able to engage/disengage with the internal chassis when removed.

My Idea is to drill an access hole into the top half under the clamp, and add a pogo pin connector to a Shtok Clamp switch.

Obviously the chassis would have to be modified to add pick up points....

My Concerns are
 - Can the pogopin handle for shearing forces as the upper inserts and rotates to reveal the pogopin window
 - Adding a slotted hole to the Graflex Upper might weaken the hilt, (maybe make holes round instead of a slot for strength?)
 - Creates possibility of grounding to hilt

Input appreciated

----------------EDIT--------------

I have found from some research that "Ballhead" Pogopins are designed for this, however it's a matter of finding one that can depress the same wall thickness as the Graflex shell.

-----------------EDIT #2-----------

Looks like I've found a possible candidate for a ballhead pogopin designed for lateral movement with 1.4mm of travel....

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:11:27 AM by Shinkaze »

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Graflex Clamp Switch, but with removable pogopins
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 07:10:28 PM »
Definitely want to see the results of you can make this work!  Most removable graflex builds that I have seen use the red button and/or the slide switch.

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 11:56:00 PM »
Hello Shinkaze,

Seems an interesting project technically speaking.
However, if you're working on MBSabers internals as shown on your pics, there are activation/Aux buttons build in already. Any reason to add extra buttons?
Moreover, you will have to deeply modify the internal chassis while ending up drilling in 2 of the main support which might endanger the rigidity of it.
Anyway, would be happy to see the result and your returns about mod.

Offline Shinkaze

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 09:10:42 AM »
Hello Shinkaze,

Seems an interesting project technically speaking.
However, if you're working on MBSabers internals as shown on your pics, there are activation/Aux buttons build in already. Any reason to add extra buttons?
'Screen Accuracy' the first time this saber was ever ignited on screen, was by pressing a redundant activation control on the lower control box.

Moreover, you will have to deeply modify the internal chassis while ending up drilling in 2 of the main support which might endanger the rigidity of it.
Anyway, would be happy to see the result and your returns about mod.
I can't speak to the integrity of the plastic Plasma Gate, but the Steel version is probably stronger than my blade holder, even if I trench out a switch.  It's pretty much just a lug of metal...

Now in saying that, I have theorized a potentially superior implementation that is non-invasive.  I will need to run some tests to see if it's possible, but I believe using a small power cell in the clamp one might be able to send a tiny current through the chassis that the silicon can read 'wireless' via conduction. 

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 02:25:40 AM »
'Screen Accuracy' the first time this saber was ever ignited on screen, was by pressing a redundant activation control on the lower control box.
Makes sense.

Well in  that optic, I would only wire 1 button there for activation. That would simplify the project: You'd only need 2 pogo pins.
You could even use only 1 pogo if you ground the chassis as you said but I find it dangerous. In metal swords, risks of shortcuts are pretty high.
For the Aux button:  having it set on top part of the hilt is much more handy in my opinion.

Really want to see the result of your work.

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 07:25:25 AM »
Just crossed my mind:
if you use a small button battery and a solenoid, you could generate a contactless circuitry and use the "magic" feature of the CFX to light the saber up without any chassis mod..  :lamp:

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 07:03:38 PM »
Great idea...or use a buttonless setup with twist to activate.

retrousse