fiduciary

Author Topic: A newbie who needs some term "definitions"  (Read 443 times)

Offline PoliteNYC

• No Force
  • Where am I?
A newbie who needs some term "definitions"
« on: December 12, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »
Hi erry'body!

I am VERY new to the "Star Wars/lightsaber" community and I have seen postings using words and lingo that are foreign to me.  :cry: Can someone please explain:

"blade plug"
"covertec wheel"
"empty hilts"
"full shroud"
"coupler" - I think this is something that turns two separate sabers into a staff?
"mystery saber"
and finally..
"burrito"   :cheesy:

THANKS!!!!
Brooklyn NYC in da house!!!

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
Re: A newbie who needs some term "definitions"
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 01:25:35 PM »
Hey there,

As you read around here, you'll be come more familiar. To help you get started though...

Blade Plug: What you put in the Bladeholder to keep you or your friends from blinding themselves from the bright LED when the blade is not in the saber.

Covertec Wheel. The round button that you put on your saber so it fits into the covertec clip.

Empy Hilts: Ones that don't have electronics in them. Or ones that have no soul  :lipsrsealed:.

Full Shroud: Not sure where you read that. Usually a shroud is a fancy word for what we used to call a "Sleeve". Basically any metalwork cut and fitted over the base hilt.

Coupler: You right. They are usually threaded on both ends.

Mystery Saber: No idea. I do know that some makers use creative names so as not to peeve the big mouse.

Burrito: Fun Fact. According to FX Search, this is the only place where this word is used. Quite the travesty considering how delicious these are. I would go to the person who used that term, as he/she is certainly in the minority.  :grin:

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
A “burrito”, “taco” or anything along those lines are what are used to describe sabers on Facebook to prevent them from being flagged and/or removed.

Mysetery Saber ps are sold by a couple of different companies. Basically, you buy one and what you get is a surprise, and the surprise isn’t always a great one.

Empty hilt, as others have said. Have no electronics currently installed in them.

The others have already provided the definitions.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 05:35:41 AM »
Blade Plug: What you put in the Bladeholder to keep you or your friends from blinding themselves from the bright LED when the blade is not in the saber.

Covertec Wheel. The round button that you put on your saber so it fits into the covertec clip.

Full Shroud: Not sure where you read that. Usually a shroud is a fancy word for what we used to call a "Sleeve". Basically any metalwork cut and fitted over the base hilt.

few things to add.  :azn:

In the case of some (e.g. neopixel blades, canon hilts), the blade plug simply fills the blade hole. A lot of the canon designs don't have emitter holes, and a blade plug can cover what would otherwise be a non-screen accurate hole.  On some neopixel hilts, a lit blade plug has a few neopixel LEDs in it to simulate the appearance of having an in-hilt LED while it's activated.

Covertec is a brand name of belt retention system that was used in the production of the prequels to hold the hilts to the jedi belts.  Since it's a locking mechanism, the scenes where a jedi had to draw their hilt, the locking bars were screwed down, so's not to require both hands.

Full shroud, imo, refers to a shroud that covers the entire length or more of the main hilt.  It might not wrap all the way around the hilt, but it would extend at least from emitter to pommel or more.

retrousse