fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex disassembly Questions  (Read 10642 times)

Offline Anatim

• Force User
    • Saberproject
Graflex disassembly Questions
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:41:47 AM »
hello there,
how should i disassemble the red button and the glass eye from my graflex?
with a pair of pliers?
..and then unscrew or just pull?

mtfbwy
tim

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: Graflex disassembly Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:50:43 AM »
Do be careful Anatim as these if vintage can be fragile. Yoda is by far the expert in these matters.  I have done one so I have a little expertise.  The glass eye and red button should unscrew unless really corroded.  Pliers will work if you need a good grip but you may damage the buttons if not careful.  If you plan on replacing them with new ones i guess it won't matter.  Also be careful with the tube and pliers as you don't want to scratch, couge or chip the fragile plating.  You could try to cover the area so as not to scratch it.  I was just extra cautious.

The rivet holding the rabbit ears on was my biggest fear.  I carefully tapped it out with a small pin punch.  I was really afraid of breaking the little tabs on the base, but it all came out fine.

Good luck and take you time. PM Yoda for any real info as he is the master.

Offline Anatim

• Force User
    • Saberproject
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:09:22 AM »
thanks for your help!
i've bought the graflex two month ago.... i think it's a replica
i had luck to buy this in germany, because 3cell graflex flashguns are difficult to find in germany :P

CLICK HERE FOR PICS (ZIP-FILE)

does someone have pictures of an disassembling?
i've found a instruction on graflexshop.com, but it doesn't help too much
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 12:17:19 PM by Anatim »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:46:19 PM »
Dude sweet graflex,  that's better looking than mine and i think mine is pretty great looking.  I am a bit confused what actually do you want to do.  It looks as though your ANH is complete.  All the hard stuff looks to be done.  You can get nice button head screws from TCSS that look better than a philips head that's my recommendation.  Do you already have a blade holder in there or is that the original graflex inner assembly?

Like I said before the red button and glass eye should unscrew out by hand.  Looks as though you shouldn't have a corrosion issue.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Offline Ti-el_terall

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »
Iv heard dissasembly is fairly straight forward. Il have to wait till my graflexs get here. There different types tho, hope it wont matter.

Offline Anatim

• Force User
    • Saberproject
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 12:33:15 PM »
i have no blade holder yet, that's the orginal graflex inner assembly
but i've ordered one from graflexshop, i hope that it will be here in two or three weeks...

...and what i want....^^
a complete graflex fx for celebration europe in july

Offline Ti-el_terall

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 11:23:23 AM »
I just took my graflex apart. Remember not to unscrew the screws inside the top half. It makes everythign way more difficult.

Offline Anatim

• Force User
    • Saberproject
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »
ok, thanks
do you have pics of your disassambled graflex?
i think the conversion kit should arrive here this week

Offline Ti-el_terall

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:24:51 PM »
Hey everyone! Welcome to my tutorial on the disassemble of a replica graflex.

To start you should have a small flat head screw driver, and pliers may be needed.

I suggest you take out the pins first, There are 6. Start with the ones under the "red eye".
Next, remove the glass eye and the bulb that's inside. The bulb should just slide out.
Now you should have something that looks like this.

Next we need to remove the slide on the side. I suggest you use a small punch and punch out the centre. After that you should be left with something like this (You might see the rest of the switch on yours tho."

Now lets remove the small screw on the bunny ears.

Good! Now gently squeeze the ears together and push it out.

You should be left with these pieces.

Ok, lets move on. Above the spot where the glass eye used to be there should be a screw. Take it out

Now the black innards should slide out. If you look inside you should see 2 screws. DONT UNDO THEM!

Now were done! You should be left with basically a shell.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 02:52:24 PM »
anatim you never said what you wnated to do with your graflex.  the blade holder from the graf shop will work but yoda is working on  a better system see "sneek peeks"  his chassis will have enough room for the batts the blade holdr  and ultras sound board.

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »
ok, thanks
do you have pics of your disassambled graflex?
i think the conversion kit should arrive here this week

he posted a thread a thread earlier today  ;)

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 05:19:25 AM »

Anatim, here are my pics of my assembled and dissambled graflex.  the first pic is all you need of the vintage parts.  The hilt or tube is completely empty.  All the internal parts have been removed.  Again Yoda is the master of the graf and he has the perfect chassis assembly is you want to go luxeon with ultra sound.  I am not sure if the graflex shop blade holder will work.  Yoda has said it might not leave enough room for the batteries and other internal parts.  Check out the link below forYoda's new chasssis.  I think it is the only way to go and should be available right after c4.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=7245.0

Offline Anatim

• Force User
    • Saberproject
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 09:47:21 AM »
the blade arrives today...now i wait for the rest

thanks for the two pics, i saw the "how to disassable"-thread
i'll try it, if the blade holder arrive...i hope tomorrow :)

Offline Lan-Ed-Tul

• No Force
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 01:30:16 PM »
the tcss graflex luxeon holder will work as well.

i havent used one, but i do have a graflexshop el holder in a real graflex.  whats cool bout mine is, i took the original end core part, and drilled out a 3/4 hole down the center of it. it was really close to the 2 long screws that run through it. i replaced in back in, slide the GS holder up inside from clamp end, marked and drilled the attachment screw hole for it. 

now when i fire it up, you see the green from the el blade shine right through my glass eye, adding more to the effect of it coming from within the saber not just from the end.

i showed it to a saber group, that builds sabers, and they had their own el graflex replicas they were sellin.  they were impressed with my idea and highly complimented it.

Offline Lan-Ed-Tul

• No Force
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
Ti, a lot better method for removal of the slide switch with no damage to slide is to bend over the lil piece of metal on the inside of hilt that connects to that slide switch. then use a dremel with a grind wheel of drum, and grind off the end of the pin in the center, then the slide tab will come right off easily with no damage to it.

you will also find, at least i did with the GS el holder kit, the screw that goes back in that spot wont fit through the opening on the slide.  you just take a drill bit  the size of the screw, and run it through the hole on the tab.

then the screw will go right thru the tab and screw right into the hole on the holder inside the hilt.

retrousse